PC can't boot pass the Dell Splash Screen?

Solved/Closed
Wong - Nov 16, 2010 at 09:31 PM
 BluebonnetGal - May 18, 2018 at 10:36 AM
Hello,

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100. I've had it for a little over a year now. I'm a big gamer and recently, after a long day's worth of gaming, I decided to restart my computer. Once the computer shut off and then turned back on, it couldn't get pass the Dell Splash screen. I can't use F2 or F12 and it completely freezes on me. The loading bar goes only half way.

I took it to Geek Squad but they couldn't do anything for me since the PC couldn't boot up and they only recommended me paying them money to ship it to Dell in order for them to fix it. I've learned from the past that most problems like this are caused by the hard drive failing.. can this be the problem?

As of now, I'm ordering all my recovery disk for the model of my computer and going to replace the hard drive with a new one and hopefully this will fix the problem..

What are your thoughts on the problem.. and what should I do?

Thanks! any help is appreciated!
Related:

5 responses

This just happened to me, and it was actually really easy to fix--I just unplugged it, took out the battery, and held down the power button to discharge built up static. I don't know if this is always the fix, but you might want to try it as a first step.
Ditto, just been mucking around fixing my mother in laws pc ( I'm in IT and know enough to be dangerous), and this new problem started happening. Thought oh sh$t I've stuffed it and found this little gem. Worked a treat, many thanks for posting this fix Michelle !!
Wldhair Posts 2 Registration date Saturday January 11, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 11, 2014
Jan 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM
I also have a Dell that's like 7 years old and this recently happened and I just unplugged it and held down the start button - it turned right back off - but when I turned it back on, it worked! Thank you!!!!!