Wired Ps/2 Keyboard suddenly stopped working!

Closed
Skunkybud - Oct 7, 2010 at 03:45 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 8, 2010 at 05:56 AM
Hi, I'm having a problem with my wired Ps/2 keyboard. It has been working perfectly fine up until a few hours after I downloaded a torrent, coincidence or not. It began turning off and on randomly for a few hours and now my Ps/2 port isn't detecting it. I've tried 3 additional Ps/2 type keyboards and neither of them are being detected by Device Manager. Initially, I thought it may be a driver issue, but I've now up-dated all my old drivers; so it couldn't be an out-dated driver issue. I've tried lots of different start-up tactics, trying to get it to recognize the keyboard but no success so far. The keyboards don't function during Safe Mode either. Fearing it could be a virus from a torrent, I ran all of Norton's anti-virus applications numerous times and nothing is showing up for virus'.

So I'm starting to think it may be a problem with my Ps/2 port.. which Device Manager says is working fine : / .. Anyway, if anyone could give me a bit of insight as to what to do (I have been reading forums/web-pages for hours now) it would be much appreciated :)

My PC specs are:
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
HP-Pavilion

Related:

2 responses

vista has issues detecting mouse/keyboard devices.. I suggest doing a system restore and maybe it'll fix itself. I highly doubt a torrent would cause this problem.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Oct 8, 2010 at 05:56 AM
Hello Skunk,

From experience, Norton is of very poor performance to detect viruses which are not in their dat files and again Norton often commits errors.

Yes you may have download a virus which often come with torrents.

As a first step, to really ensure it is not a virus,

Download, install and run Malwarebyte which you can find on this site:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/ es-anti-malware

Ensure you make an update.

Please request a FULL system scan, which may take from 20 minutes to hours. Do not interfere no matter how long in takes. The creators of Malwarebyte recommend that while the tool is running that you go do something else, such as watching a rerun of Gone with the Wind or read Tolstoy's War and Peace.

If Malwarebyte restarts your system, launch it again to finish the Full scan.

When the scan is completed, delete all items found.

Once your computer is clean and working normally just to be on the safe side
*Turn off system restore and wait 30 seconds,
*Turn it back on and create a new restore point.

This way it gets rid of anything bad that might have gotten saved in a restore point and you have a clean restore point to use in the near future if needed.
Do not turn it off until your computer is clean and working normally because you might need to use it if something goes wrong during the clean-up process.
It is better to go back to an infected restore point if something goes wrong then to not be able to undo changes that were damaging.

Good luck