Ask a question Report

Certain laptop keys don't work [Solved/Closed]

Meg - Latest answer on Sep 24, 2012 07:24AM
Hello,
I have a few keys on my Toshiba that have stopped working. Specifically, Z, ?/, and all 4 of the arrows. I was typing a paper yesterday and all was going well, at some point these keys stopped working. At times the space bar & enter key needed multiple hits to work. I thought it was an issue with Word, but the same keys do not work in any other applications. I removed every key from the board and tried to clean around them w/condensed air etc. But so far, nothing has worked. Please help!
Thanks!
Read more 
Answer
+459
moins plus
Greetings

However all of the above, some people have tried the followiing and had success:

Shut down the laptop, removed battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds... and replace the battery.. start the lap top.. if that does not work a technician is a must.

Tara- Nov 11, 2011 11:55AM
This worked for me too! Thanks
jandd- Jun 5, 2012 02:55PM
Thank you sooo much for this post!! It also worked for me!!
Ambucias 20650Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus May 24, 2015Last seen - Jun 5, 2012 03:46PM
You are totally welcome...pay to the next!
Ash- Aug 2, 2012 09:29AM
OMG! I was going CRAZY thinking I had spyware! This worked! Thank you SO much!!!!!
axl- Aug 15, 2012 05:19AM
hopefully it will work for me too :(
Answer
+61
moins plus
i hav a 2 monh old oshiba lapop i can use the on screen keyboard the e,t,1,2 stopped working i have run driver updates which say its working fine im running windows you guest it...7

Answer
+49
moins plus
can we map Fn key with combination of any other key for not working keys.
e.g:
these keys are not : a s d
and these keys are working : q w e

can these combination be possible : (Fn + q ) for a

(Fn + w) for s
(Fn + e) for d

Answer
+26
moins plus
I had a similar issue where my laptop keys stopped working one by one after re-installing windows 7 with SP1 on my Toshiba laptop. This included all the Fn key functions. The keyboard had worked fine for a day after the reinstall. The issue started all of a sudden while working on the laptop.

Checks performed Checked typing in different programs, safe mode, using Ubuntu as Operating system. Tried all the software and driver update that everyone suggested on forums. Even thought of replacing keyboard as thought it's life is over. Spent a day trying different options. Even removed keys from laptop and cleaned underneath. But to no avail.

However, the most unlikely solution I came across was someone mentioning damaged ribbon cable that connects laptop keyboard to motherboard. I unscrewed the keyboard with cable still attached to motherboard. The cable was folded like a V from the keyboard to the motherboard, which I straighten when I pulled the keyboard towards the touchpad. All the keys that didn't work now started working including the Fn keys.

So for me the problem was the folded ribbon cable. I guess because of years of being bent (like paper) the wires inside the ribbon are giving up. (and also I have removed the keyboard countless time over the years while dismantling the laptop thus straining the cable while putting it back to the motherboard). I guess the bending of cable was causing issues with matrix of the ribbon cable. Sometimes when I pressed a key, three characters use to appear. Pressing O showed French characters. It looks like it was a coincidence that the keys stopped working just around the time of reinstalling Windows 7.

SOLUTION I folded the ribbon cable other way round without flattening the cable like paper so that the original bend straightens.

I missed the basics of troubleshooting - to look at the cable connections before looking for other solutions. Looking at the 'Fn only' issue people are having, it seems like a driver/software issue. However, for issue with some keys, it looks like it's a ribbon issue. It has fixed my issue at least for now. I am typing with the same keyboard :)

Answer
+20
moins plus
I had a similar problem. Solved it by cleaning the keyboard with compressed air, i.e. blow the compressed air in the gaps between the keys. This removes some lint and dust. I never had trouble again.

Answer
+20
moins plus
Whew. I thought it was just me (this happened to my laptop too) Hope it works. Thanks!

Answer
+18
moins plus
Hello Meg,

I know what you mean. It was a good idea to remove and clean the keys. Unfortunately, you are experiencing a common problem with Toshiba laptops which no manipulation of internal software can resolve. Only a in the flesh technician can repair your keyboard.

Terribly sorry about that, I wish I could help you further.

Best regards

Matt- Dec 5, 2010 12:48PM
What does that even mean? Theres obviously some software error going on here either virus or something else. For example I am typing with my e and d key right now, but suddenly they stop randomly.

There has to be some info on this as I can see many other people are having the same issues.
This document entitled « Certain laptop keys don't work » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.