Ask a question Report

Lost Start menu, Desktop icon, Taskmanager [Solved/Closed]

DJM - Latest answer on Dec 21, 2012 03:10AM
Hello,
I have lost start menu and all desktop icons. I also get taskmanger was disabled by administrator. My situation sofar are:
- I can't get desktop back from taskmanager becuase it was disabled.
- I can't get taskmanager back from menu start > run >regedit becuase I lost startmenu
- I can't do hijackthis or any virus removal from safe mode because my computer is freezed when I pressed F8 with all safemode options.
- Right click, widows key, Ctrl-alt-del, or Ctrl+Esc, or Ctrl+Shift+Esc, didn't work at the desktop.
Now I can access this machine from another computer. I can use this computer to get rid of the virus. It found some virus and I have removed it. But the problems still there.
I try to use software to fixed the registry. But they all fixed on the good machine not the damaged machine.
If anyone has faced this problem and know how to solve it, please help me.
THANKS.
DJM
Read more 
Answer
+90
moins plus
do CTRL+ALT+DEL and bring up task manager. Then select new task, and type explorer.exe and your start menu and icons should reappear. :)

none- Dec 4, 2009 03:58AM
Many Thanks. You have done a great job. We got it back by typing explorer.exe in Task manager. SSSS
maria- Apr 16, 2010 12:54PM
yes thanks so much,,,, you saved me lots of headaches and money - great big hugs to you
videoman- Aug 27, 2010 10:35PM
Yes this worked for me and that was after days of suffering. It brought tears to my eyes thanks.

Lloyd
brett- Dec 21, 2012 03:10AM
great suggestion, saved my time for reformat w7 , many many thanks.
Answer
+16
moins plus
Confirm solution of

1) ctrl+alt+del
2) select file
3) New task(Run)
4) type msconfig
5) lounch system restore
6) select the date for good configuration, on that date your system is working fine

Complite the process and after restart you will find your start menu ,taskbar, icons will apper on desktop

Answer
+15
moins plus
I too have the same problem, the only difference is that when I type "explorer.exe" in the Hew task(run) I get the error message that says "Windows cannot find "explorer.exe" Make sure you type in the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click start menu, and then search". Obviously I cant do that either since I have no desktop or Start Menu bar.

Iam trying to reach my laptop's recovery/reformat option in the control panel from task Manager, with no avail. =(
I also try Control panel from task manager in the run option, and got the same respond as for Explorer.exe.

When I try Msconfig the option "Launch system restore" is gray out, as in I cant access it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answer
+12
moins plus
iv tryed all the this and it says i dont have authority for explore.exe but im the administor
and i can do a system restore except the only date i can restore it to is today which is stupid when its broken today if i can restore it to yesterday that would be fine is there anyway of doin that?

Answer
+9
moins plus
im having the same issue, but when i press ctrl alt delete to bring up my task manager the screen goes dark for a few seconds...is there an upgrade on this virus that doesnt allow you to do that anymore? i have vista 64 bit if that helps

Answer
+5
moins plus
Hey,
Thanks for the advice. I tried it and it worked fine. You're a lifesaver!

Answer
+4
moins plus
itryed this and it worked a treat on my computer thanks

This document entitled « Lost Start menu, Desktop icon, Taskmanager » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.