Ask a question Report

Reinstall Windows XP home on Acer Aspire one

TelfordTrev 2Posts Monday August 23, 2010Registration date August 26, 2010Last seen - Latest answer on Dec 25, 2010 02:48PM
Hello,
My son's Aspire One is critically low on Memory (<100MB). Also, since virtually day one it has run a disk check on startup 8/10 times.. so I'm thinking I should reinstall XP?
It only has the 8GB of onboard memory with a further 8GB on an SSD card.
XP home edition came preinstalled, and the pc was supplied with 2 discs - one labelled "System CD" and the other "MS .. XP Home edition SP3". Niether of these discs autorun so I'm guessing they are not recovery discs.
Additionally, I have an external CD/DVD rewriter that I can use and also a CD for XP Pro (running on my main PC).
So, looking at the various threads, I've tried the ALT F10 thing but that does not respond. Can I reinstall using my XP Pro disc? and if so how do I do that. I'm ok to "clean install" and then reinstall the apps also.
Thanks.
Read more 
Answer
+1
moins plus
Hi there,

You need to boot from the disk to be able to perform either recovery or installation of windows ,insert the cd and press F8 on boot of system.Then follow the onscreen instructions.

Thanks
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
Hi,

I have tried your suggestion but it still appears to be ignoring the disc and continues to boot up as normal?
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
Greetings,

Restore from nothing

Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.

Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.

If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.

Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.
Tm- Dec 25, 2010 09:13AM
Thank you but after doing this a prompt comes up saying "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM"
I have downloaded my operating disk to a USB flash drive but have no success in installing it to the acer aspire ZG5 cumputer. Any suggestions?
Ambucias 20094Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus April 26, 2015Last seen - Dec 25, 2010 02:48PM
Tm, do you have the CD?
Add comment
This document entitled « Reinstall Windows XP home on Acer Aspire one » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.