What is the format of Outlook File?

Solved/Closed
lord_pmvk Posts 13 Registration date Sunday August 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen September 21, 2010 - Aug 22, 2010 at 05:04 PM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Aug 24, 2010 at 08:21 AM
Hi there,

I have a doubt regarding Outlook files. I mean, for example, if we use outlook at home, to access mails, and save important mails...all these mails will be storeed in our computer in some format which can be opened only by Outlook. But what if I copy that file, from which the Outlook is gathering information to display my mails and saved content, and paste it on another system through Pendrive etc..will that system's Outlook be able to open that file.

*I am talking about the option, "Data File Management" which is in list when we press the tab "File" in outlook. This "Data File Management" will give us the address where our mails are stored(as a single file). So what is the format of that file. It is shown only as "Office Data File".

I want to know about this only because I feel I can carry all my important data which are in my mails, with me as a file, and open them where ever required.

Thanks..
Related:

1 response

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Aug 24, 2010 at 08:21 AM
Your outlook would be locally in a PST file if you had saved it on local drive. If the emails are on the server still, then you dont have access to those file locally.

You can use OUTLOOK to open that PST file from home or from other place as long you have access to PST file. The format of the file is only good for outlook as it is a sort of bundle of email, there is no individual files for your each email. This is what I believe to be.