Viruses on my external hard drive

Solved/Closed
concerned - Aug 13, 2010 at 04:06 AM
jalang Posts 1 Registration date Monday January 27, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 27, 2014 - Jan 27, 2014 at 07:49 PM
Hello,

There were a few viruses on my external hard drive and when i popped into my pc, AVG performed an automatic scan and removed the viruses. However, when i clicked on the hard drive, i cant seem to find any of the folders that contain my information. When i do right click and check properties, i find that the space on the hard drive is being occupied by the folders. The AVG was the free edition and i have made sure under folder options that the 'show hidden files & folders' is ticked. Is there any possible way of viewing my folders again. I can view the respective folders on my tv though as i have a usb connection on it. Your advice will be much appreciated.
Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 13, 2010 at 08:06 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

Click on "Start" -->Run-->type cmd and click on OK.

Here I assume your external hard drive as G:

Enter this command.

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

Note : Replace the letter g with your external hard drive letter.

Now go to your external hard drive and check whether your folders are displayed

or not.

After that, download "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" from the below link

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Update it --> perform "Full Scan"

Note : Default selected option is "Quick Scan"

Good Luck.
Thank you so much jack4rall! I had the exact problem above mentioned and this restored the files. Thank you again!
Thank you jack4rall My external hard drive is sorted out & there are no more viruses
jalang Posts 1 Registration date Monday January 27, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 27, 2014
Jan 27, 2014 at 07:49 PM
hello, I have a question.

Where is the "Run" option located when pressing "Start?"
Then just enter those keys in while opening the Run key ?

Please be more specific . Very much appreciate it .

Thank You