Yellow flashing light on my Dell 1200 laptop

Solved/Closed
Becks - Dec 10, 2008 at 06:20 PM
 antonio - Aug 16, 2010 at 11:46 PM
Hello,

My Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop has a solid green light on the bottom left front, which indicates the power is on and right beside it is a yellow flashing light.....it is always blinking....at one point a message came up on the screen saying something about the virtual memory is full or something....don't know if that has anything to do with the blinking yellow light.

My question is....."What is this light and what can I do to get rid of it...or it is harmless?"

My operating system is Windows XP

Thank you!

Becks
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
Dec 10, 2008 at 07:42 PM
If the right light is always flashing amber (even when you have charged the PC for 3-4 hours) it probably indicates that the battery is failing.

Copied straight from the manual:
the left light:
Turns on when you turn on the computer or pulses when the computer is in a power management mode

the right light:
If the computer is connected to an electrical outlet, the light operates as follows:
" Solid green: The battery is charging.
- Off: The battery is adequately charged, the computer is turned off, or no battery is installed.
" Rapidly flashing green: An error has occurred regarding the battery.

If the computer is running on a battery, the light operates as follows:
" Off: The battery is discharging normally with use.
" Flashing amber: The battery charge is low
can the laptop still operate without the battery and just work off of the electrical line?
I have on of those small Acer computers and when I plug it in to an outlet, after more than 4 hours, the amber/reddish light is still flashing on and off, on and off. For some reason it won't fully charge and appear green. Does that mean that my battery is a little under the weather or something?? I'm not exactly a genius when it comes to computers so could someone please help! Anyone have the same problem?