Windows live messenger has stopped working

Solved/Closed
Leeahh - Aug 4, 2010 at 12:33 PM
 nana - Nov 27, 2012 at 06:52 AM
Hello,
I'm getting the Windows Live Messenger has stopped working error message. I've tried unistalling the program and reinstalling and the same error happens. My computer operating system is Vista. Could some one please help me with how to fix this?

Related:

2 responses

a. Open Registry Editor:

For Windows Vista and Windows 7: Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter on your keyboard.

For Windows XP: Click on Start -> click Run -> type regedit-> click OK

b. Click on the + sign of each of the items listed below to locate this folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings\<Hash Number>

1. Click the [+] sign beside HKEY_CURRENT_USER
2. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside Software
3. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside Microsoft
4. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside MSNMessenger
5. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside PerPassportSettings
6. Check folders with Hash Number and locate "UTL" Reg_SZ key containing your email address. Delete it.

c. Close the Windows Registry Editor

Restart Windows Live Messenger and try to Sign-In

Important! Once signed in, make sure to change the Windows Live Messenger display picture to a different one than what you have set during the Crash
wow it works. thanks !
Thank you so much!!
GREAT! this works!!!!!!
soni from spain
Dec 30, 2010 at 02:30 PM
sir , still problem presistsssssss . It says Windows live messenger Beta has stopped working.(1)close the programme (2)Debug the programme
thank you so much, GOD bless you for your help friend!!!
Blocked Profile
Aug 5, 2010 at 08:02 AM
Dear Sir,

Please carry out a system restore to a date where it was working correctly and hence get the problem solved.

Thanks in advance.
I've done that and on shutdown the m/c carries out some autoupdates and when I lstartup again the messenfeger message re-apprears - so it's to do with the Windows updates.