Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Re-installing WinXP for Acer aspire one ZG5 [Solved/Closed]

Medo - Latest answer on Oct 22, 2012 04:07AM
Helloe, my friend got the new Aspire One ZG5 (WinXP) based. But now thanks to a virus, the MCAfee that's used isn't helping at all, it just detects and deletes the infected and(or) system files !
There are two partitions: one is 149 GB (single active drive, i.e. C) and the other 8GB is for the system drive. At first we wanted to see if we could hook up an external optical drive to start installing WinXP over again, but i remembered that if 8GB is kept aside, it must be used to sort of repair WinXP or at least install it over again, right?
What do you advice we should do? And is it possible to hook up an external DVD writer to the lap top? Any suggestion on your part, will be of great help to us.
Thanks, waiting for your reply.
Read more 
Answer
+282
moins plus
download this pdf it gives full instructions for restoring XP.

http://www.acerpanam.com/...

Using Acer eRecovery Management
You can launch Acer eRecovery Management in a number of ways:
- By pressing the hotkey <Alt> + <F10> during the boot-up process, or at any time when you are running Microsoft Windows.
- From the Start menu, go to Start > (All) Programs > Empowering
Technology > Acer eRecovery Management.

ras- Jun 17, 2010 08:25AM
thanks bro you are the best
sloopy- Jun 21, 2010 04:10AM
you the best
felo- Jul 10, 2010 03:24AM
cheers for this, had been a headache for the past wee
nicu777- Oct 22, 2012 02:59AM
thanks it is going recovered and repaired ...from UK Nicu777
siraj- Oct 22, 2012 04:07AM
thanks....
Answer
+42
moins plus
I just order the restore CD from Acer. As soon as I get it I will compress it as an .ISO and post it for all who needs it. Acer Support is the most USELESS source of help on the market right now. My Aspire One is only 95 days old and they told me then can't support me cause my 90 day waranty is up. Can you believe that? They have three dollar amount for support. $36 for the first thirty mins. $90 for one week, and $129 for a years worth of support. The Acer Aspire one on sale right now for $169 at Compusa and Acer wants me to pay that. NEVER!!!! Bunch of crooks! I broke down and just bought the restore CD now can someone help me to install it. Because Acer Aspire One does not have a CD rom to install the restore software!! The Support tech told me to call back and pay someone to walk me through the process, NEVER!!!! I totally recommend DELL Net book. Support staff much more helpful!!!!

popestt- Oct 19, 2009 01:35AM
Hey man, did you ever get that recovery cd? if so is there any way you could send me a copy of the ISO? I am going to be upgrading to windows 7, but the way microsoft handles upgrades, I have to already have xp installed on the system to upgrade. Unfortunately I deleted xp from my system to install the windows 7 beta, and now they want me to pay for XP again, just to then upgrade to windows 7... Acer is such a scam..
Aspire One User- Nov 20, 2009 05:40AM
are you delete EISA Partition on your netbook? if not, you can get the original xp. if you delete your xp and install win 7 and your win 7 corrupt, you still can get your original win xp by pressing <alt>+<F10>...
G- Nov 3, 2009 04:49PM
Could I get a copy of that iso? My Acer ZG5 has the SSD, so no recovery partition. :(
Ed- Mar 13, 2010 09:54AM
My friends aspire one zg5 just took a dive. I would like to know if I could get a copy of those disks so I try to restore it. I have tried all the key combo & nothing works.
Thanks.
Answer
+26
moins plus
Thanks to whoever posted this solution. I was able to boot from my XP cd, without buying the Acer recovery disks and now i'm fine.

<<You must switch the SATA Mode (BIOS) to IDE from AHCI.

Hit F2 at boot screen -> Main -> SATA Mode -> IDE

This will allow Window XP to see your SATA.>>

Answer
+25
moins plus
Hey i know what to do in order to restore it but when i press restore system to default thing..
it restarts my computer and then just loads windows up normally any one got a solution?
and if i press alt+F10 at startup nothing happens...

Answer
+21
moins plus
switch on the net book and press ctrl f11 the netbook gets restored to its factory settings in 15 mins.

Answer
+18
moins plus
Hi
i have the acer aspire one z5g and i want to format it using an usb flash drive, it came with windows xp home edition and i want to install windows xp professional servipack 2, im already got the drivers from the Acer's website. i have experience formating desktop but this will be my first time formating laptops so i want to know if is the same to format a desktop and a laptop.

thanks.

Answer
+14
moins plus
i've a aspire one D150-1BW
alt + f10 didnt work
i've had to touch ctrl + alt gr + f10
thanks for the hint i'had never figured it out all by myself

Answer
+10
moins plus
ugh. ill be waiting for that iso. why does this have to be so complicated?
i dont have the erecovery dvd, and even if i did i dont have an external disk drive and im not about to buy one
pressing alt and f10 doesnt work, i attribute that to the fact that ACER drive C: is not enabled ( which explains why i cant use system restore either)
i guess my only choice is to make a recovery usb?

Answer
+10
moins plus
most external dvd writers are gonna fail for you if you have something messing with you to badly (massive registry errors, system32 file gettin swaaped with corrupt garbage.) acer's e-recovery "ghost drive" is set up to boot with the command ALT+f10. so while the computer is booting up, hit alt+f10. then from the recovery window, you can either completely wipe everything and start with a fresh xp, or just try to repair. if u try to just repair, then any documents and settings and such that the user had will be saved under C: Backup. or C: Backup 1 or so on depending on if you have done multiple repairs. :) good luck!

Answer
+7
moins plus
:*( I've tried all of the options...when i push alt f10 everything just repeats itself an goes back to the start up screen.
i have two net-books. currently I am using mine. the other net-book belongs to my sister. I'm trying to fix hers.
I've had this problem with mine before and I used the simple alt f10 and t worked perfectly.

but my sisters computer wont function at all! her D2D recovery is enabled. so i just don't know what to do.

petes307 1Posts Tuesday March 2, 2010Registration date March 2, 2010Last seen - Mar 2, 2010 07:39AM
Isabel - I think that you may need to perform the bios upgrade on your Acer before you can get it to boot up again. The solution is in this thread, and I copied it as such :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ended up contacting Acer. They gave me the right Bios and instructions to flash it. It's working now.
Go here:

http://www.acer.com.au/...

Go through the menus, and select the AOA150, then select the BIOS tab. Download the one you need (I used 3309, that was the one attached to the support response) Follow instructions below.

Requirments
256MB USB drive or higher capacity.

1. Insert your USB drive/thumb drive into a working windows system. Open up my computer or computer and locate your usb drive and right click and select format. Format the drive with ‘FAT’ file system and not FAT32 minimum 256 MB in capacity.
2. Download the attached zip file AS1_BIOS_3309.ZIP
3. Extract the files on the root directory of the USB Flash Drive.
4. Turn off the Aspire One and make sure that both power adapter and battery are connected to the netbook.
5. Plug in the USB stick to any port on the failed Aspire One
6. Press and hold Fn+ESC and then press the power button. The power LED will now be blinking.
7. Press the power button ONCE. During this time, it will now initiate the BIOS update, DO NOT INTERRUPT IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
8. After about 2 minutes, the power LED will stop blinking and the Aspire One will reboot. The BIOS is now complete.
9. IF the unit DID NOT REBOOT BY ITSELF, wait a further 5 – 7 minutes before rebooting the unit as the BIOS may still be flashing.

Best of luck. All I know is it worked on mine.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AND ALSO THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ZG5:
It worked for me. i only had to rename 3309.fd to zg5ia32.fd.

People who still have this problem,(Acer Aspire One ZG5 won't boot up, working with black screen) this is what i did:

------------------------------------------------------------ ------
Download & Extract AS1_BIOS_3309.zip (from : http://support.acer.com/...
Rename the Bios name from 3309.fd to zg5ia32.fd.
Copy zg5ia32.fd and Flashit.exe to USB flash drive.
Start the restoration process:

A. Plug the AC Adapter into the unit.
B. Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port.
C. Press and Hold down the Fn and the Esc keys together.
D. Keep these keys held down and press power.
E. When the unit's power light comes on release the Fn and Esc keys.
F. After the keys have been released the power light will start to blink.
G. Let the unit run and after approximately 1-7 minutes, the unit should reboot.
H. Video should now be restored
------------------------------------------------------------------------
these information is taken from this aser website:
http://support.acer.com/...
==========================================
i copied all three files: 3309.BAT, zg5ia32.fd , FLASHIT.EXE to root of my USB
you must also format your USB with fat file system (not fat32) with "Allocation unit size" set to "Default allocation size" before coping those three files
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know that this may look complex but follow the steps methodically & you should be up & running.
Answer
+6
moins plus
After you enter the BIOS by pressing F2 during boot up scroll over to the BOOT menu and press enter . Scroll down to the last option USB CD Rom and then use the F5 key to move it to the top of the boot list order. Then press escape and then F10 and enter. Then use your DVD /cd burner to load XP.

Johnny Lifeson- Mar 16, 2009 05:00PM
The F2 on boot up get's you to th BIOS and Select USB CD/DVD for first boot. Mine hasn't died yet, but I have the restore DVD's, and was able to boot Fedora Core Live on the Aspire One XP Web Book.
Works fine here..
Answer
+4
moins plus
FYI:
The Aspire One systems labeled with the model ZG5 are actually an Aspire One AOA110 or an Aspire One AOA150. Any information will be listed under AOA110 and AOA150, rather than ZG5.

Source:
http://netbooks-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/108/kw/ZG5/r_id/166

Answer
+3
moins plus
thanks so much for the info i have been trying to find a way to restore my daughters computer for a week now and found this. she will be so happy when she gets home from school.

Answer
+3
moins plus
Thank You Sooooo much for providing the information about switching to IDE mode!! After that, the brand new SSD disk were found on my brand new Acer Aspire i5 notebook!!
Before that, I thought I've had destroyed the whole maskinos....:-)

Answer
+2
moins plus
Thank you sooo much thanks alot it really saved my life thnks............

Answer
+2
moins plus
The solution from the Acer support site (inserting the USB with the renamed file / holding down Fct/Esc before pressing startbutton) works. I just had toubles finding a way to make the correct USB stick : must be FAT and startable. Found an easy way at: http://www.tweakwindows.nl/tools/losse-tools/373/bootable-Usb-Stick.html
Just download and excecute; read the readme file for instructions.

Good luck; I know your frustration !

Answer
+1
moins plus
thank you so much for the help....
God Bless..

Answer
+1
moins plus
Thank you so much, I`ve seached a lot!
God bless you!!!
You really saved me :)

Answer
+1
moins plus
Hi all,

I have Acer Aspire one A0A150. fully formatted and fixed the problem as it is like it came from Box with all erecovery setup.

if you need help you can contact me

Regards
Mazhar

erol- Dec 27, 2009 10:25PM
Hi Mazhar:
I'm having a hard time trying to restore my aspire aoa 110 using the disks that came with the system. I have a ssd 8 gig drive and when I use the disks the only one that will boot is the system software cd. Once it boots the only option I can choose is to exit as the one that says restore to factory settings is grayed out. I tried the alt f10 and ctrl f10 and I cant seem to get a message to change cds. Has anyone a suggestion as I''m at my wits end.

Errol
sticksNstones- Feb 1, 2010 01:06PM
Hi Mazhar,

I have a Acer aspire ZG5 and the operating system is corrupted and thereofre require a reboot of the system

cannot seem to find anything on the web, anychance you can help ?

cheers
xpcman 10749Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration date ModeratorStatus March 14, 2015Last seen - Feb 1, 2010 03:20PM
try the information at this site:
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/

Good Luck
Answer
+1
moins plus
hi there, some body knows if the trick Alt+F10 for restoring factory defaults delete my personal files and folders? or is a non destructive restore.

Thankyou for your help.
Saludos desde Tampico Mexico

xpcman 10749Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration date ModeratorStatus March 14, 2015Last seen - Feb 15, 2010 12:47PM
destructive. You will loose ALL your data.
1 2 3 4 Next
This document entitled « Re-installing WinXP for Acer aspire one ZG5 » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.