Can't change file association in Outlook Expr

Solved/Closed
Paul in WI - Jul 13, 2010 at 05:19 PM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Jul 18, 2010 at 08:45 AM
Hello,

I'm running XP Media Center SP3.

I recently installed a trial version of Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro (9.3.3). I changed my file association for pdf files to Acrobat Pro.

The trial has run out; I may or may not buy. Meanwhile, I have changed the pdf file association in XP back to Adobe Reader. Now when I double-click a pdf file from Explorer, the file opens with Adobe Reader.

My problem is with pdf attachments to email in Outlook Express. When I receive such an email, and double-click the attachment, Adobe Acrobat Pro opens -- and fails, because the trial period is expired. I receive many pdf attachments, and this is a terrible nuisance!

I suppose that if I uninstall Acrobat Pro, the problem might go away. But surely there's a way to fix the file association. I would have assumed that all XP file associations simply grandfathered into Outlook Express. Apparently that's not true!

Can you help me fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Paul in WI
Related:

1 response

Found it, fixed it.

Changing the file association through Windows Explorer was inadequate. Went into My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Changed all adobe filetypes to Adobe Reader. Problem solved.

Thanks for listening!

Paul in WI
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Jul 18, 2010 at 08:45 AM
and thank you for putting your resolution for some one else who may need to do same