Application not found cannot create shortcut

Solved/Closed
annbenj Posts 1 Registration date Friday November 21, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 23, 2008 - Nov 23, 2008 at 03:22 AM
 rose - Jul 11, 2017 at 10:29 AM
Hello,

When I want to save a web page as a shortcut on my computer I get an icon on my desktop but when I try to open it it tells me the ' Application cannot be found'

I have always been able to this OK but I was messing about on my computer last week and cannot do it now.

I can create a shortcut from my dicuments to the desktop but cannot create a web page shortcut. Hope someone can work out what I have done.

Thank You
Related:

6 responses

Hello you just try to repair in control panel and then double click default programps / set your default programps / internet explorer / choose default for this programps / select all and save / ok . hope you to be ............
HELLO

When iam triying to open the control panel, it messaing me like (AppLICATION NOT FOUND).
Not only control panel, desktop shoutcut items also, any other documents iam unable to open
desktop, control panel, C:drive, E:drive,ect. and iam trying to restar that also same message it showing.
Thanks this worked for me
Really appreciated your advice
Cheers Marie
thanks you solved a problem that has driven me crazy
Thank you, this worked perfectly desktop shortcuts working fine
i had exactly the same problem for months and just tried this and it works. thank you so much. this really used to annoy me so much :).
I have the same problem. Did you get it fixed? If so can you tell me how.
I too had same problem. To solve the problem:
1. Right click on "internet explorer" icon on your desktop.
2. Click on "properties" located at most bottom.
3. Click on "Programs"
4. Click on "Make default" and also click on small box "tell me...."
5. Click on "Apply" at the bottom of window
6. Click on "OK"
And you are alll set; Hope this will work for you,
Good Luck:)
thanx for your answer
magsandpies65
Jul 11, 2009 at 04:03 PM
Help! This afternoon I decided I was going to figure out how to add a shortcut to pogo.com on to my desktop. For some reason I have not been able to do this lately, so I started playing around with different things....not a good idea if you aren't VERY computer savvy! lol Anyway, I somehow managed to reset or delete ALL of my shortcuts, even the ones in the "start" menu and in my "control panel!!!" Don't ask me how I did this, but I can't right click on anything to open it up, I mean nothin'! The only thing I have that works is the "E" icon on my desktop to get me online. I tried your suggestions, but when I right click on that E, it tells me..."Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions.....blah blah blah. I'm freaking out! I can't even find a place to get in and restore my settings to a specified date!! What can I do, I'm about to have a full blown meltdown if I can't find a way around all the error messages...lol I'm shocked that I messed things up so bad that I can't even access anything from the start menu!!! Why oh why isn't there a giant "UNDO everything I just did to my computer" icon on my desktop? Haha I noticed this is an older topic from last year, but it's the only one I can seem to find that discusses my exact problem. Thanks for any help!!!!
Bless you!!!!!!! I thought I had lost everything!!!!!
your a genius. This was driving me nuts. All working again
pjvj > magsandpies65
Feb 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM
HI!
Did you ever get the problem where you reset all your shortcuts fixed? if so, can you explain how?! I am soo lost and freaking out big time
world of warcraft legend
Jun 21, 2010 at 01:37 PM
the best thing you can do is call the company that you buy internet from, for example: comcast, thats me :) . then tell them the problem and they should tell you to go to their website and download a free security system that asts a lifetime. :O

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I went to IE and used their 'fix it' program...then rebooted...then went into IE properties and made sure IE was my default browser...everything works fine now...
"How to fix internet shortcut: Application Not Found!"
- When opening Browser.

This is the quickest solution to the problem.

A. when your at the Desktop press (Windows+R) and write "Control panel" ENTER.
(or open Control Panel).
B. Select "Default Programs" (if you see the overview of all files).
(or if opened Control panel > choose "Program" > "Default Programs")
C. Selext the (4-color icon) "Set your Default Programs"
(a list with programs on left will come up.)
D. Select by Default your IE "internet Explorer"
E. Select and choose from the bottom section "Set this program as default"
F. @ Test your Internet Shortcut, Does it opens naturally as it should?
YES = Internet Explorer is flawless and works.
NO = Windows can be corrupted and need a repair (Try first repair IE!)

G. If IE worked, Try change back to your old browser AFTER rebooted PC, to make sure everything is in order. should work like a charm!