Help with dell computer

Closed
jr - Jun 14, 2010 at 02:49 PM
mrrigga Posts 196 Registration date Wednesday May 5, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen July 14, 2010 - Jun 15, 2010 at 05:22 AM
Hello,
my dell computer powers on but my keyboard mouse and moniter will nor power up

Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Jun 15, 2010 at 01:43 AM
I doubt that it is your power supply, but I will include a reference on how to do a crude test on the power supply. If it passes the test, it might still be bad, but if it fails the test, then it is bad for sure. Many people recommend a new power supply when a computer doesn't work, but it can be so many other things...

I suspect that your motherboard has gone south, because there are so many unrelated symptoms. But, before pursuing this run the power supply test first and then to the following troubleshooting:

If your computer won't even boot to the bios screen, then the first thing that you should do is turn it off and pull the plug or, at least, turn off the power supply on the back of the computer. Let it sit for an hour or more and try again. If this cures the problem, then when you're finished for the day and shut down, always turn off the power before you leave. or get more information from here ............ http://www.iyogi.co.uk/dell/dell-desktop-tech-support.html
mrrigga Posts 196 Registration date Wednesday May 5, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen July 14, 2010 119
Jun 15, 2010 at 05:22 AM
You have more or less told him exactly what I told him. I never said it was the power supply. if you read carefully.

If there was no power the unit would not turn on, so a test on the power would not be relevent. How do you know he has a desktop maybe a laptop?.
An hour is unnecessary to wait to reboot. If you press and hold the start button with no power to the unit it will run all the power from the unit leaving the mobo battery the only power in the unit. This also he needs to remove and check. sometimes removing the mobo battery and replacing can spark things into life.
I would say his next test is to remove the ram and try and other parts.
However I do agree with you a new motherboard maybe needed or take it to someone who has a debug card or something simular to check the motherboard.
mrrigga Posts 196 Registration date Wednesday May 5, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen July 14, 2010 119
Jun 14, 2010 at 03:49 PM
Need a bit more info really.
Is it booting to BIOS do you hear a beep when you first turn on.
Try removing all power supplys (battery if laptop) press and hold power button for 20secs reconnect power supply and try again.
If you hear no beep your motherboard maybe the problem. But there are other tests first before replacing the motherboard.
Blocked Profile
Jun 15, 2010 at 02:37 AM
Did your mouse and keyboard powers are connected correctly? first try this one and then do other activities.