Dell Inspiron laptop will not start up

Solved/Closed
tingxuan - Updated on Jan 28, 2018 at 09:43 AM
 Ogsmiles10 - Feb 27, 2018 at 03:32 AM
Hello, recently I have just switched the hard disk of one of my inspiron laptop to another laptop, also an inspiron. However, I have encounter some problem.

"When you press the power button, If your laptop powers on, the lcd panel is pitch black blank screen, not even back light power, no dell startup screen, you hear the fan spin up, you hear the hard disk spin up, in this state one of the 3 LED lights blinks for 7 seconds (I think numeric keypad), and then if everything switches off silent. The only LED on after that would perhaps be the battery charging indicator. it could be a memory DIMM gone bad, If you have two dimms try one, then the other to confirm"

That is the description of the problem. When I go online, they suggest that my memory DIMM might be spoilt. May I ask, How then can I solve this problem? Is it a hardware problem whereby parts of the laptop needed to be changed or?

Thank you for your reply.

25 responses

I had the very same problem on a friends computer. I thought it might be a memory issue. The way I fixed the problem was simple. I only removed the memory from slot "A" to slot "B". After a successfull boot up, I thought that it might work again on slot "A" so I replaced it to slot "A". Guess what, it worked like a charm!

I hope it helps.
works great make sure there is no dirt on ram and try removing battery! THANKS GUYS MY DELL STILL HOLDS THE RECORD OF THE OLDEST RUNNING COMPUTER IN THE FAMILY THANKZ!
replace ram memory
I have problem with my Dell , it stopped with colored lines and it froze. It is not booting up , when I switch on, caps lock,power,num lock on and hard drive light on and then all lights are switching off with only power and blue tooth lights on and blank screen ,not even bios is showing up. Took hard disk outand even checked with different RAM's and nothing is working out ,please somebody give me advise

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hi

I had a 'black' screen on nice's 2600. It turned out that the video card had died. Got a replacement off eBay. Fairly easy to replace. You can get the Dell Service Manual here :-

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins2600/en/#printed_documentation

Hope this helps.