My speakers won't work

Solved/Closed
kastro - Nov 2, 2008 at 02:39 AM
 luch - Oct 15, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Hello,

im really stuck. I first upgraded my pc from xp service pack 2 to vista hom basic. After realising that most of my hardware did not work with vista, I down graded to xp service pack 3. Everything seems to be working fine now except for the speakers. Please tell me what to do.

45 responses

well you might have to plug them in ?
NoNicknameGuy
May 20, 2010 at 12:25 AM
Easy fix. Control Panel (classic view) > sound > click speakers which should have a laptop icon next to it and make sure it is set to default (there will be a little green check mark on the icon). if it is not, simply click on it and at the bottom click set default. I ran into this problem when I hooked up my laptop to our flat screen to watch a movie it automatically switched the default sound output to the HDMI Digital Output Device. Just for another option for others having the same issue.
sometimes my speaker works and sometimes it dont why
I plugged in a microphone to my laptop thing the cod was going to some headphones. The next day when I went to listen to my music off of itunes the sound would not work. Then I was going to watch a music video on youtube and again the sound did not work. I was wondering if you had any suggestions, please.

When the microphone was plugged in it read IDT HD Sound.. if that helps

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hey Guys
I woke up today and found out that there was no sound on my dell laptop/Vista Home.
My Wireless Network Icon on the Taskbar says "Connection Status:Unknown". I could not play any audio files on the computer. I searched all over forums, tried restarting "Windows Audio" Service from Control Panel, tried to set value for "Default Access Permission" from regedit.
Tried by clicking "Disable all Enhancements" from sound as told by some posts.
Nothing seemed to work till I found this solution on some forum which worked-
1.Boot windows in safe mode with command prompt
2. From the prompt enter
net localgroup Administrators LocalService /add
3. Verify by typing
net localgroup Administrators
4. Ctrl+Alt+del and restart your computer

Reboot!. My sound started working again !