Not loading desktop icons and task bar

Solved/Closed
Percy Jackson - May 6, 2010 at 07:11 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - May 7, 2010 at 04:03 PM
Yesterday when I turned off my 600M series Dell laptop, it was working perfectly. Today when I turned it on though, it seemed ok but just a little slower than normal. After I logged in, the computer only loaded my desktop picture but not the icons nor the blue task bar at the bottom. Whats wrong with it or what are some ways of pinpointing the problem?

P.S. When I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, the taskmanager comes up and thats how I am able to access the internet at this time with it.
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
May 6, 2010 at 07:23 AM
Hello Percy,

Your post has been transfered to the viruses/security forum.

Please follow these instructions:

First:

1. Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up Task Manager.

2. Click "New Task..." then click "Browse..."

3. Click My Computer on the left panel. Click C:\ - WINDOWS

4. Navigate to explorer.exe, right click and copy explorer. Rename it to explorer1 (.exe)

5. Hit Cancel to go back to Create New Task window. Type regedit.exe and click OK.

6. In the registry editor, navigate to the following Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

7. With the Winlogon key selected, look in the right side window for the
'Shell" value.

8. Double click Shell. In the Value Data box, you should see Explorer.exe. Change it to
explorer1.exe and click OK.

9. Exit the registry editor and reboot the computer

Second:

Download, install and run Malwarebyte which you can find on this site:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/ es-anti-malware

Ensure you make an update.

Please request a FULL system scan, which may take about 90 minutes.

When the scan is completed, delete all items found.

Once your computer is clean and working normally just to be on the safe side
*Turn off system restore and wait 30 seconds,
*Turn it back on and create a new restore point.

This way it gets rid of anything bad that might have gotten saved in a restore point and you have a clean restore point to use in the near future if needed.
Do not turn it off until your computer is clean and working normally because you might need to use it if something goes wrong during the clean-up process.
It is better to go back to an infected restore point if something goes wrong then to not be able to undo changes that were damaging.

Good luck
Percy Jackson
May 7, 2010 at 09:32 AM
Thank you Ambucias. I now have my desktop items and the bar at the bottom of the screen. I am now happy. I can listen to music now.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
May 7, 2010 at 04:03 PM
Hello Percy,

Your happy, I'm happy! Thank you very much for your feedback, enjoy your music hopefully classical.:)))