PC shut off during WinXP installation

Closed
adiosmofo Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday October 28, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 29, 2008 - Oct 29, 2008 at 08:43 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Nov 7, 2014 at 05:11 AM
Hello,

I was reinstalling xp in which time during the install I lost power and computer shut off. Currently when I turn on my computer the monitor stays in sleep mode, computer makes 1 long loud beep and thats it. Win xp cd in driver no difference.

Please please please help !

p.s I know its not the monitor
Related:

5 responses

hi add my id ,hope I will solve ur problem,and u asked abt win xp cd and driver,my dear xp cd has no driver just u will install xp cd without drivers,and must u will have to search the driver on net ...........
My sister was having this problem with her Dell PC...part of the problem is it is a Dell PC but I digress. I first tried resetting the BIOS to turn of powersave mode. That didn't work nor did the other fixes that are recommended for the problem. Finally I used my tried and true method (no, not a hammer and a new PC) and put in a video card so the computer had to use it instead of the onboard video. That solved the problem. I returned the computer to my sister a week ago and they had no problem, then she called five minutes ago to say it was doing the same as before. When I asked where the monitor was plugged in, she said when it had been set up again the kids plugged the monitor into the onboard video port instead of the card because that is the way it had been set up before. When I had her plug the monitor into the video card, everything worked fine again.
The problem seems to be a BIOS problem that I have only run into on Dell's (well once on an HP/Compaq but it had a lot of other issues)
I hope this helps. the only BIOS fix I can think of would be to flash the BIOS and make sure you have the most up-to-date drivers. If you aren't sure what you are doing re: flashing, don't try this at home. Take it to a tech and let him have the headache...the cost will be worth getting rid of the aggravation.
mine only goes to the meau asking do I want to start in safe mood and I have tried all opations and they all was go back asking me to choose
diana_niko Posts 3 Registration date Monday November 3, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 6, 2014
Nov 3, 2014 at 08:11 AM
When I try to install windows xp, after collecting the files he needs for the instalation, when the instalation gets to the part where he has to install the devices and drivers, my computer shuts down. Anyone has an idea what makes this problem occure? Thanks in advance!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Nov 3, 2014 at 04:33 PM
Hello Diana,

Is this a brand new installation or was there another o/s before, is so which one.

XP is no longer supported and you will experience problems.
diana_niko Posts 3 Registration date Monday November 3, 2014 Status Member Last seen November 6, 2014
Nov 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Yes, this is a new instalation. It works to format the C drive, but I can't pass the part where the devices must be installed. I have an old pc, and that's why I want to install xp on it. Is there a xp os thst I can install? My pc is 10 years old. Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Nov 4, 2014 at 04:28 PM
What are your PC's technical specifications?

Was there another operating system on it before? Which one?
Nov 6, 2014 at 08:20 PM
My PC's technical specifications are:
Processor: Intel Celeron CPU 2.00 GHz
RAM:1,25 GB
Video card: NVidia GeForce4 MX 4000 64 MB

I have this PC from many years (10 years). It worked very well since now. I've never had problems whit it. And I used it every day. All the time I used Windows XP. Before I format the C drive I used Windows XP SP3. It's possible that I can't install Windows XP anymore because it's not supported anymore?
Nov 7, 2014 at 05:11 AM
The installation is jamming because you are trying install on a system which had SP3, a major Windows update with all the drivers. You should have used the repair option.

I am at a lost as to what to suggest to you.