Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Monitor black off while CPU power runnning [Solved/Closed]

Elaine - Latest answer on May 24, 2013 06:16AM
Hello,
I am having a problem on the desktop pc. My monitor screen is black off while the cpu is still running.I had run the monitor on another cpu that is work. then, I had try to uninstall the graphic card Sapphire X550, shut down & switch off the pc and then remove the graphic card from the expansion plot. After replug the graphic card and switch on the pc & install back the graphic card driver and the desktop is working as normal. I had try to set the MHz to the lowest MHz at the right click desktop properties. After few day, the same problem come again. May I know where can be the problem? Is it the graphic card or the motherboard?
Thanks in advance for the help & comment.
Regards,
Elaine
Read more 
Answer
+88
moins plus
dude its the mother board problem for sure. I had faced the same problem few months before and geuss wht 8 small IC'S had burned out...lol . So try this-- try pressing the num lock key when ur pc is on n mointor has blackedout , if the num pad key light (green) light lights up( there r 3 small lights on the key boards -the 1st one i talking about) then ur motherboard is ok. but if not give it for a repair....... Hope it does not cost much lolz..

I tech- Jul 6, 2011 09:33AM
It's Monitor, %100 sure
GCCDaemon- Jan 27, 2013 04:29PM
I have this problem with my PC. Everything is working except the monitor screen is black even thought the monitor is on. I swapped graphics cards thinkin gthat was the problem. 2 weeks later it started again. I have all brand new components (2011 socket mobo, intel i7 3820, 32 gigs 1333-1600 ram, MSI radeon hd7850 twin forzr 3, sata DVD rom, SSD hard drive) except 2, my monitor and my power supply. I had the same problem with my old graphics card (radeon hd6570) as well as the new one. It's power supply problem. running and old modular 550 power supply that's 5-7 years old.
CC- Apr 24, 2013 10:01AM
Thank you for this! It was comforting to verify that it wasn't the motherboard! I found I had to remove the additional memory I added a year ago since I just now did a system recovery (computer needed to be in original config.) Oddly, I did not remember that of the 4 memory slots, the original (primary) RAM, starting from the left, sits in the 1st and 3rd. The additional RAM is placed in slots 2 and 4. When I removed the 2nd and 4th, it solved this issue for me.
hey- May 11, 2013 06:09AM
how should i do to repair?
titanium- May 14, 2013 11:17PM
sirain mo para wala ka nang problema..
Answer
+22
moins plus
i had the same prblum and it tooks me 2weeks to find out what is wrong with my pc
it is simple the cable which connect you monitor is the problum ,your pc doesn't give signal to your monitor or your monitor connector a pin is bended or missing you grafic card is not reading don't be confused
is very simple
power saving off mode it means (no segnal from your mother board to your monitor )

arjie- Dec 17, 2009 11:34PM
my monitor is black,and my cpu is running.pls..help me.
how to solve this problm on my cpu and my monitor.
Answer
+19
moins plus
Hello

I had the same problem and found a solution - or found out what was actually the problem.

First of all let me say that it is not the CPU or the harddrive!

I tried un-pluggng all the cables and re-plugging it all back in again - but nothing worked.

Then I pressed the on-button on the monitor and held down the Auto button which is also located at the bottom of the monitor screen.
I had a menu option that said 'repair windows environment' 'advanced option' 're-start windows' etc.
I chose to 're-start windows' - this restarted the computer but I still ended up with a black screen.

So I repeated the above process of pressing Auto and on-button, menu came up. I selected option 'repair windows environment'
Then after loading and 2 screens that flashed - I got a black screen with white writing, a little down the screen it said something like 'repair windows environment' and then a count down timer in seconds. This option is a waste of time as there is nothing wrong with Windows. I selected the next option down 'start as normal' and pressed enter.

My screen was back!!

I closed it down and re-started it to see if it worked. Black screen again!

So then I started to adjust the cable head - the part that is plugged into the monitor.
First time it did not work but I did see some light flashing so I continued adjusting then pressing the on button on the monitor and suddenly it came on, I could see my desktop icons.

I am having this problem a lot now and have to always adjust the cable head - so I think it must be the cable.

Good luck!

computergirl- May 25, 2011 12:44AM
It is not necessarily the cable it could be thew video card where it connects to the cable, in any case I believ it is bad and needs another video card if you have already tried another cable...borrow one from your printer or other device and try it.
Answer
+15
moins plus
Yes it is the Video card or the motherboard. How do you tell which one? Only by replacing one or the other.

Answer
+11
moins plus
Right click on desktop->Go to Personalize -> Screen Saver -> Change Power Settings -> Change Plan settings -> Increase the time for Turn Off Display

All the best :)

bc- May 24, 2013 06:16AM
nab u r chutya
Answer
+9
moins plus
I think this is a thermal issue with this monitor. I am now on the second monitor from dell and both have had the issue where it starts shutting off after 30 or so seconds. The power button remains green but the screen is black. I have rigged a 60mm fan, approx 4CFM, to the rear louvers of the monitor to blow inward. This keeps my monitor going. If i turn the fan off it shuts off in about a min. From what i have noticed there is probably some issue with the thermal cutout switch or the thermal management design all together.

tech- Sep 11, 2009 09:47PM
hello dell monitor have some capacitor problem in power supply board inside monitor i have replace 25 monitor capacitors and all of them are working fine
Bluestorm- Apr 4, 2010 08:10PM
Yes, yes. I have a problem with my computer. And it is a thermal issue. Every day you can get on an hour and then it blacks out. People say to get canned air and clear the monitor and things of dust.
computergirl- May 25, 2011 12:52AM
If so mething is overheating you need to find out what is! Overheating however usually indicates a problem with the power supply.
Answer
+7
moins plus
I had same problem , the monitor blacks off with CPU running
I solved the problem by removing the monitor cable from the backup battery and connecting it to electric outlet

Answer
+6
moins plus
Just keep turning the monitor off and on until it stays on. Eventually it will. It took me about a half hour of turning it off and on before it finally stayed on. Then don't ever turn it off again, it might not come on again. I got the tip from an online forum - it works!

Deva- Apr 27, 2010 01:01AM
bad answer, sorry, most of these issues are because the person's computer is over heating and so the monitor appears black, i'm having this current problem right now (using an external screen) so once i'm done with what i need to do, i'm going to turn my computer off and have it sit under a fan on high for about an hour or two and it will probably start working properly again
my problem is is that i never turn my computer off, plus today was the hottest day of the year, plus i didn't have my fan going nor my window open, so i think you get the jist of what i'm trying to say
computergirl- May 25, 2011 12:46AM
I disagree about the overheat if you only just turned the pc on, it cant overheat that fast. It is the video card where it connects to the cable or video/graphics port thats why she had to tweedle it.
frustrated- Feb 24, 2013 10:10PM
Turning the monitor off and on does work - the first time. But if you have a power outage that turns your computer off - you are in the same boat except that it won't come back on no matter how long you turn the monitor off and on.

I did get it stay on after changing the sleep mode to NEVER. At least until we had a power outage.
Answer
+6
moins plus
This happened to me. I opened up the computer and took a look at the video card (zotac geforce 7300), it is slightly over a year old. It looks like new except the capacitors are all blasted out the tops. Like this article talks about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Too bad it is just out of warranty. Pretty lame.

Answer
+2
moins plus
check the power supply connection to ur monitor dumb ass!!

that was the case with me!! :P

pissed off- Jan 20, 2009 09:25PM
well my lcd screen turns blck afta 5 seconds of turning the screen on but if u look close its still on its like it lost it's light
I repair monitors- Feb 10, 2009 09:35AM
It sounds like you may have blown a capacitor inside of the monitor itself. It is a fairly easy fix.....Take it apart and look for a capacitor that is bulged on the backside. Then replace with exact cap. Problem fixed. This is a common problem as mfg. are using cheaper and cheaper componants.
Answer
+1
moins plus
when powered up my screen remain blank..? window 7

Answer
+1
moins plus
hey.....it happened to me today...it is becase of the motherborad...try reconnecting ur hardisk cables

Answer
+0
moins plus
Same with me. I have no idea what is causing it, but my computer is still running while my monitor is blacking out. I've had TWO monitors, (with the same cords) but both have blacked out. I have Windows 7

This document entitled « Monitor black off while CPU power runnning » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.