2nd Sata hard drive not shown on my computer

Solved/Closed
shawn - Updated on May 6, 2018 at 11:11 AM
 Kalevel - Mar 30, 2018 at 01:46 AM
Hello,

I have had a WD 160GB SATA hard drive as my primary HD and I recently bought a Seagate 80GB SATA hard drive to use as a secondary storage space. I connected all the power, SATA cables correctly and when I boot my comp, it shows on the display that my WD 160GB is the primary and Seagate 80GB is the slave. However, when I go on to my comptuer, I don't see the new hard drive. When I check the device manager, it still indicates that it recognizes both of my hard drives. Why is it not showing up on my computer to be used?
Related:

7 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
Updated on Nov 26, 2018 at 04:16 AM
You need to format the drive before you can use it for data.
  • Do this : Windows+R, then
    diskmgmt.msc
  • A new window titled Computer Management comes up.
  • Select Storage from the left hand side by clicking it once, then select Disk Management(local) from the right side by double-clicking it. Find your new drive and format it with one large partition.

First partition - do a primary partition if you want only one partition on the hard drive. Then you format the partition - again right click and select format use NTFS - use default allocation size and give the new volume a label (no spaces allowed in the name).
thanks you!
Thanks this helped me alot too