Solved/Closed
magon7 - Oct 23, 2008 at 01:23 PM
 ACDN - Feb 16, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Hello,
i bough a xbox 360 about 2 years ago

then my cousin bough 1 too

we were about to play with our friends and we cant

well I can but on his xbox says that the connection too the host as ended

and if he enters the game first I cant enter and the same warning happens again?
is it beacouse were using the same internet?

please I need some help :/

thanks for watching

26 responses

nothing happens if youre both connected to the same internet chck his wiring it mighht be becuaeof that or turn your router of for 30 sec and then turn it back and connect with the xbox live again
I have 3 Xbox's running on the one network, ranging from one to two pc's as well.
However; 1. This is also the devices plugged directly into the modem,
2. Plugged into a wireless N1 vision router.
3. A cisco linksys router/enginvoip, not being used, the router acting only as a switch.
All using a netgear wireless modem.
Wired ASL2.
6mb down, 700kb up. 10ms ping.(I don't believe that though)

Also using a laptop to share a wireless dsl connection with 2 xbox's using the 3 port cisco router as a switch(linksys).

Anyway, I've found a few different ways ranging. And apologies if it is repeated above.

The one that has seemed to have worked the best as far.

Going into the router and changing the settings.
WARNING: Save a backup of your router/modems current settings before changing anything. Also resetting the modem can help too.(Button on the side, resets all passwords and so)

You can find out your router/modem's i.p address by looking at it's instructions(If all else fails).

or by going to the start menu going to "Run" or "run program" and typing "Command" or "cmd" ( it may also be in accessories).
Once in the dos promt, type "ipconfig" or alternatively "ipconfig -all" and your ethernet's gateway will be the gateway you type into your address bar to access your router.

Once within your router;
Setting up each Xbox or computer using "MAC Address filtering" (under the FIREWALL menu in your router) not wireless mac address filtering.
To do this, you first find either your xbox's MAC address, in the "network configeration" of the xbox360's settings menu.
Or alternatively, in your router; go to DHCP client list or Attached devices.

After having the address, you reservine that address or any others in "MAC address filtering" Allowing it access to the router.

If your router or Modem has pNp I believe it may have to be off,
however using "QOS filtering" or "VIRTUAL SERVERS", you input these PORTS for
"PORT FORWARDING";
TCP 80-80,
UDP 88-88,
TCP/UDP 3074-3074,
TCP/UDP 53-53,
TCP 80.

Also in your modem's settings you can go to "CONTENT FILTERING", within "FIREWALL RULES", and you can allow incoming traffic to a specific I.P Address" i.e your xbox, or router, (stopping the modem & router doubling up in my opinion, please correct me if I'm wrong) allowing all trafic through to the xbox without blocking any.

I have tried placing the router or xbox specifically outside the DMZ although there was not the most of a difference in gameplay except for lesser if any.

Regarding connecting one or two xbox's to a computer or laptop using a wireless connection or USB modem and connecting the xbox's to share/use that connection, are as follows.

Going to your network connections window within Windows
will show you all of your connections that you have, either all together or just the ones connected.

Right click on the internet connection that you want to share within the "Network settings" tab.
Go to properties.
Click the sharing tab, and then click the "Share this internet connection with other users" Do not click the other checkbox's unless neccisary.

Windows will then have a drop-down menu showing your other conections, i.e your "LAN" (ethernet) connection. Choosing your "LAN" connection, will then change your LAN's "ip address" to 192.168.0.1 setting it as the gateway for any other computer or xbox plugged into the computer.

Plug the xbox into the computer,
make sure the internet connection is active,
turn on the xbox's and attempt to connect.

If there is an error on the xbox, test connection in the "Network Settings" tab in the Xbox's "Settings" tab. If there is an error, if it is the
a)Xbox360 to Network connection, it may be because the ethernet cable is not connected properly, if it is
b) connecting to the inernet, then you may need to change your Local area network's ip address to 192.168.0.1 and also it's gateway address to 192.168.0.1

If you are attemtpting to connect two or more devices(Xbox's, computer's) like this, then you should do the same as above,
however plug the ethernet cable from the computer to the hub (switch, router) and then connect the xbox's or other devices into the hub.
If there are issues, you will have to go into the router's settings and setting the router to have a "static" ip address of 192.168.0.2 , and it's Gateway to be 192.168.0.1 if there is option to do so.

Aploogies if this is not helpful or just blabber, as I have done all of this myself through many hours of trial and error and friends wanting to play or being disconnected or just the only one that cant connect.

I have found that if you get disconnected repeatedly when another xbox comes onto the hub/modem/router.
By plugging one xbox into the modem directly, and any other's into the router can fix this,
or by having everything plugged into the one device,
or also having each two xbox's on each hub/switch.

Please ask or correct me if you don't understand parts of this.

See you in the gaming world.

Brok3n Shadow
After reading that over I can see how it may be confusing so apologies,

These settings in the previous post above are for:
1. Connecting 2 or more Xbox's to the one network.
2. Port forwarding for xbox live.
3. Using a Belkin N1 vision router with xbox live and multiple xbox's.
4. Using a Netgear DG834GUv5 wireless modem with xbox live.
5. Sharing a usb or wireless internet connection with one or more xbox's via ethernet.
5. MAC Address filtering.
6. Accessing your router.

Also if there are any quiries on sharing your pc's music, video, and pics, via streaming on Windows media player and not Windows Media Centere, meaning you can listen to your music on your pc via your xbox while playing games just ask.
In reference to the above two, Using the Belkin Wirelss N1 vision router I found two nights ago, using 3 xbox's in one room, and one through a 30m cable through to another room, Having the 4 set up, and laptop wirelessly to change the settings
I found that changing the settings in the "WAN>Connection Type" settings from Dynamic, to a setting saying Telstra Bigpond\OptusNET cable, having it's description saying;"Use this option for Bigpond Cable and OptusNet Cable connections only." Worked great, even though it is a ADSL2 connection and not CABLE"
The next day connecting however with the one xbox, wouldn't connect to Xbox Live, so putting the settings back to PPPOE instead of DYNAMIC, my settings were already in and that worked great.
Later after trying to connect another computer wirelessly with a wireless netgear usb, having trouble connecting to the N1, I changed it back to the Telstra/Optus setting, All has been working since, except the wireless Netgear usb, which I resorted to the 30 m cable for the moment, and can use my modem I keep out there instead.
Anyway, try that setting first(It may have your providers name rather than Telstra or Optus Cable), then port forwarding or MAC address filtering, or both thereafter.
i had the same problem and I bought the D-Link DGL-4500 gamer lounge its a bit pricy but ever since ive gotten it I have had no problems. I run 3 xboxs on the same router with all my friends on call of duty and when we first started it up all 3 xboxs had open NAT types we didnt have to put any special settings or anything else in just plug and play :)

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
15 year IT dork here, after reading these tips I was able to make it work with my Setup (Not using any one of the methods but instead a combination of a few, with a few tweaks) nd I got 2x XBOX 360 on the same connection both with open NAT.

here is my Hardware: Linksys WRT54G-TM with DD-WRT (Also works with Tomato, just not with the stock Linksys Firmware)

Configure it normal, do not set up any Triggering, forwarding or any DMZ stuff. Just set it so DHCP is ON for the LAN test it with a PC and make sure you can get online.

Now the ONLY SETTING THAT NEEDS TO BE TURNED ON FOR THIS TO WORK IS "UPNP" this will manage the data as your XBOX Systems both play on-line.

it really is that simple, I had some hiccups, and others have as well that I have talked to. Here is where people get caught up, read these tips to make sure it works for you:

1) Because UPNP requires DHCP addresses, don't statically assign your XBOXES addresses, if you MUST keep the IPs the same on your XBOXes for some reason then use DHCP RESERVATIONS (or Static DHCP in Tomato)

2) Here is the biggie: If you are trying to bypass the router that is built into your Modem that doesn't support UPNP (Like a 2Wire Internet Gateway Device) you need to set it in BRIDGE MODE in order for the routers functions to be disabled so that way NAT problems don't add hiccups in your XBOX gaming. IF YOU HAVE A NEWER 2WIRE DEVICE putting it in gateway mode may have been disabled in their last firmware update (or moved somewhere else that I can not find) but don't worry, a simple solution is to set your NEW Routers WAN IP STATIC to 10.0.0.2 and Subnet 255.255.0.0 Gateway 10.0.0.1 (Set the DNS to the ones on your Modem's WAN DNS addresses) then login to your Modem, set the LAN address to 10.0.0.1 and then go to the firewall screen and set 10.0.0.2 as the DMZ HOST. This will enable all the traffic to pass through the MODEM and into the NEW ROUTER, bypassing the crappy 2Wire router functionality which doesn't support XBOX LIVE.

I had this setup working, and my 2WIRE AUTOMATICALLY DID A FIRMWARE UPDATE a few weeks ago, where all of the settings stayed the same after the install, EXCEPT it had disabled my DMZ Host of 10.0.0.2 which gave me NAT issues on XBOX LIVE and Disconnects every 15 minutes.
------------------------------------

For those of you looking for a router that WILL WORK

Here is a Very Inexpensive Router that will work perfectly with multiple XBOX consoles, with no crazy configurations and give you "OPEN" Nat type under Call of Duty or most any other game on XBOX LIVE

RT-N13U by ASUS

I got one from Mwave for 39$ with a 20$ Rebate=19.99$

Which is nuts for an "N" router with USB Printer/HDD sharing

--------------------------
Port Triggering worked for me! Using DD-WRT on an Asus RT-N16