Ask a question Report

XP Won't start, not even in safe mode [Solved/Closed]

warrior - Latest answer on Oct 3, 2012 09:27PM
Hi,
My windows XP won't start. I shutted down the computer yesterday, today when I started it it will run till the windows boot screen, when the bar reaches the end the screen will stay black and nothings happens
I tried to boot in safe mode but after loading the drivers it just stays there as well and wont go on with the boot.
I wanted to repair the system with the Windows XP CD-ROM but I'm not given the option to repair. After it starts all the devices needed, i'm presented with the partitions I have on my PC to choose in which to install windows, if I pick one I can format and install or just install.
Is there a way to run a repair or a scandisk to try and solve the problem without re instaling windows?
Really appreciate any help.
Thank you in advance
Read more 
Answer
+141
moins plus
So, I spent half a day struggling why my windows XP won't start on any of the safe modes with similar symptoms you all have been seeing. Here is what worked for me on HP pavilion.

There is an option F11 when you boot the system. It takes you to Restore manager by HP via RAM something option. Select Advanced Options for Restore Manager.

A. I first selected the option to back up my files (Photos and Personal Docs/Files) on DVD-R drive. This takes about 1.5 hr to finish but is a worth-it safety step.

B. Rebooted the system, pressed F11, and selected the option to restore system to an older time. Restored the system to 20 days ago. I had tried restoring to two days ago but saw similar problem with it. This worked like charm and kept all my documents intact.

C. There is another option to restore to factory settings and I had intended to go all the way to original factory settings, if option B had not worked. In such a case, my backup DVDs from A would have come handy to restore all my Photos/Videos/Personal files back.

So, the problem seems to be the corruption of a system file and could be attributed to any of the programs I downloaded from the Internet such as DVD Fab in the interim.

All the best.
Mesiduma

Answer
+119
moins plus
I start my windows so up then it goes to a option screen and it said safe mode , safe mode with network and sao on then there is start windows normaly I press that then I get the option. Screen again

Answer
+50
moins plus
Quite often, this can be caused by faulty components on the motherboard.
Worst offenders are PCI modems and then the next is network cards.

So! remove an item and try restart or remove all peripherals except the hard drive and try again.

Repeat this after adding one component etc until all are added.

If added device causes lockup, you know what caused it.

Jan**- Feb 20, 2009 05:47AM
hi im having a similar problem,
windows wont start going to screen windows did not start correctly however cant move arrows to select safe mode so is just staying on start windows normally and going round in a loop, keyboard IS working and is letting me enter setup. I have the XP disc and have used link above to try to repair/install. ive changed the first boot device in BIOS to CDROM however it is now sayin press any key to boot from CD, which im doin, but is then going back to same old windows couldnt start properly choose from safe mode... last known config.....blah blah and goin round in a loop again

Aaaaah can anyone help???

Thank you
Jan x
nishu- Oct 9, 2009 09:34AM
hi,

i start my pc but not start in normal and safe node and restart in both mode.
stevo Jan** - Oct 27, 2009 06:44AM
I have formated my hard disk and installed a new operating system (XP) but when i start my computer it shows
windows starting up to checking files on the disk and stops giving a live screen and i canot even log on in safe mode.

what can i do
THANKS TO YOU ALL
STEVE
Answer
+40
moins plus
check this link for Win XP repair/install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Jolee Girl 2Posts Friday May 1, 2009Registration date May 2, 2009Last seen moonriaz - May 2, 2009 06:51PM
Moonriaz,
Have you fiquered out how to fix your "XP not starting even in Safe mode problem?"
manas moonriaz - Aug 25, 2009 01:40AM
When I start my computer(windows xp os), it displays 1) safe mode 2) last confi.. 3) mormally..
when i choose any option, no response only start again and same screen:
darkangel_beauty2 2Posts Thursday September 17, 2009Registration date September 18, 2009Last seen moonriaz - Sep 18, 2009 10:39AM
hi moonriaz... i have the same problem today... and no matter which option on safe mode i use... it comes back to the safe mode screen.. did you receive any suggestions that actually worked without having the cd to repair it?? please advise!!!!!! plz!!!

Email Id removed for security
AMAN SINGH IS KING007 moonriaz - Oct 14, 2009 03:31AM
hi there moonriaz my name is aman and for the last week I've also been having the same issue. But upon investigating I discovered that it is probably a bad update from Microsoft dose your comp also says press escape to not load stpd.sys. That's the indication that it is a bad update. but go to allbootdisks.com and download the xp boot disk if you already don't have it.
Uchiha- May 10, 2011 01:14AM
i suggested to insert the OS in cd-room that you currently use, and bot the OS, then click the first repair that appears in set-up, then, there is command console in dos appear and type "CHKDSK" it will automatically check your disk and after that checking disk.BINGO!
Answer
+27
moins plus
If all methods above fail, this is one last (more advanced) method to repair your Windows XP boot.ini file or to backup your files before formatting and reinstalling your Windows XP ;)

First you need to get a version of Backtrack (Live Boot version) and write it on a CD.
You can get backtrack here:
http://remote-exploit.org/backtrack_download.html 

Once you have a Backtrack Live Boot CD/USB, insert it in the corrupt machine.
Boot Backtrack and login if necessary.

Open a kernel and type:
cd /mnt

You should now be working in the mnt dir

Now type:
ls

Now you should see a lot of other directories, but you should select sda1. (This may be sda0 or other, depending on your system.)

So to go to the sda1 dir, type:
cd /sda1

Now type:
ls

This command lists all your files in the working directory.
You should see your hard drive, with all the directories ;)

Now if you want to recover files from your hard drive, just open them with BackTrack and copy them to your USB or external HD.

Now if you want to edit your boot.ini file, you just open it in BT and adjust the content.
This is an example for Windows XP Home Edition (on partition 1 of your harddrive, if you have partitions)
[boot loader] 
timeout=5 
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS 
[operating systems] 
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

After you have edited your boot.ini, just save it and reboot Windows XP without BT.

I hope this was helpfull ;)

Answer
+18
moins plus
Thy this free boot CD,

Has helped me :)

http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

Anthony- Mar 10, 2009 12:59AM
helo Mixergirl

i have downloaded UBCD4Win now could u tel me how to repair windows xp s2 using this bootalble cd..
i dont want lost my files and imporrtant documents...

PROBLEM
my pc just restart after windows load and it appears a list of option like run in the safe mode or using command prompt and last good configuration..... i tried to go in safe mode also but i cant then i trie d using last good configuration but the same problem occurs after windows loads system restart automaticaaly....
I always appreciate your help......PLX reply soon
Answer
+17
moins plus
I've got the same issue as Rakesh, anyone got a fix for this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Answer
+14
moins plus
It happen to me before. I just used the installation disk and checkdisk and wallllllllla... Problem solve..

Answer
+13
moins plus
hi yes there is a simple way if you have the windows disk make it the OS boot with the cd rom then when you get to a screen that says would you like to install windows click R to repair it!

KelDel- Jan 7, 2009 04:46AM
Hi

I also have the exact same problem. Even when I press 'R' it won't repair. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
tspencer- Nov 11, 2009 09:59AM
I bought a new graphics card and installed it on my Gateway that has an xp operating system and apparently it was to much for it to handle but the Office Depot clerk said it would be fine. I turned on the computer after installing the hardware and then my computer made strange noises so I shut it down. I then reinstalled the other graphics card I bought a couple of years ago and now it comes up to a screen that ask for a boot disc. I put in my Windows xp reinstall cd and it says no file found or something like on the blue screen talking about partions. When I reboot the screen gives me 2 options. BIOS SETTINGS F2 Or BOOT MENU F10.
dough23- Nov 19, 2009 07:25PM
Turns out I fried my Hard drive. Oh well, time for a new computer anyways.
Dowigy 2Posts Thursday February 19, 2009Registration date February 19, 2009Last seen - Feb 19, 2009 06:38PM
Can I make a boot disc from an OEM recovery cd? thanks
loufer30- Apr 10, 2009 12:33PM
thanks ill give this a try.
Answer
+12
moins plus
The only thing that I ended up doing was reformanting my pc but I think one of the bios went bad and now the vlk key for my disc is block and I have to manually download updates for it.

Answer
+11
moins plus
in f10 or f11 theres a option that says AC POWER if it says off, turn it on save changes an your set!

Answer
+10
moins plus
Probably a reg problem. hkey\locmach\system\contro\some control set\.....
maybe corrupt reg entry, bad entry in hdw enmerator. Some viruses do this. If bad enuff you must re-install-do new install over old one erasing all current files but your data will live. very unpleasant. you could try reg fixes or manual on that key nothing to lose.

of course try cd boot w/repair first & pull all extra hdw out. Assumes you use latest antivirus.

Answer
+10
moins plus
hello i had the same problem! uh it sucked but i figured it out, in f10 or f11 theres a option that says AC POWER if it says off, turn it on save changes an your set! this should do the trick bud

Answer
+10
moins plus
not sure what is more surprising that someone just replied a thread I started 4 years ago, or that the answer is turn the AC POWER on Oo

Answer
+9
moins plus
dont reinstall all of ur windows incase it delets ur stuff

This document entitled « XP Won't start, not even in safe mode » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.