Desktop icons & start menu tools wont work!!!

Solved/Closed
PLEASE HELP ME!!! - Apr 8, 2010 at 10:25 PM
 BDK - Dec 8, 2018 at 12:53 PM
im stuck if anyone can help me PLEASE!! everything was fine yesterday I logged off and when I went to log on again all my desktop icons had the IE logo instead of the normal icon pics and when I try to open them it just opens an internet explorer page then that disappears and a download window opens but when I try to click download it disappears and the IE page opens again it just repeats that process every time. also I cannot open any of my programs in my start menu they all say windows cannot open this file....so therefore I cannot even do a system restore. I cant use my virus software or anything and ive tried downloading stuff to fix it but I can download but cannot actually save it to run it so im at a loss as to what to do next ive been trying to fix this now since yesterday and im not real computer savy so I didnt want to do something that could hurt it either. I did try to get to system restore through safe mode but it does the same thing in safe mode. also cant reinstall windows xp cuz my cd/dvd isnt working either! im going crazy trying to figure this out please help!!!! its a Dell XPS windows xp professional edition.
Related:

4 responses

XBMC_Fndr Posts 1 Registration date Thursday September 30, 2010 Status Member Last seen September 30, 2010 6
Updated on Dec 10, 2018 at 06:21 AM
If you have already Rebooted and the problem still exists, you can still try this but I doubt it will help. If you haven't (and dont want to reboot for whatever reason) give it a shot. It won't hurt and may solve your problem

I have had this happen several times. While viruses or malware MAY cause this a more common problem is an app you are running that is "not playing nice with memory". It has happened to me while running something I really don't want to cancel and restart.

This solution is quite simple and DOES NOT Require a REBOOT.
  • 1. Open Task manager (Ctrl - Alt - Dlet),
  • 2. Click Process tab,
  • 3. Find Explorer.exe (or explorer.exe).
  • 4. Terminate it. (ignore warning)
  • 5. Click Applications tab
  • 6. Then New Task.
  • 7. Enter (guess what) explorer.exe and press enter

your desktop and taskbar will reappear (and your long running app will still be running)
PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Apr 9, 2010 at 05:37 AM
Thanks for trying to help me :-) Im just glad I was able to fix it! lol
totally lost but found
Jan 10, 2014 at 10:59 PM
It happened to me as well and there were several explorer/exe (4 of them). I terminated only one at first. It did not work, then I got scared to terminate the others...then, I thought :whathever...and terminated all of them....have no idea what I did or if it was going to ("or will") harm the computer...did it anyway and bingo... it worked. Thanks a lot for the tip. I love the internet...
Note: 3 of the explorer.exe had 54 kb or something and one said 200 and something...why they different?