Vba inserting row and keep range membership

Solved/Closed
jbean - Apr 8, 2010 at 06:49 PM
venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 - Apr 15, 2010 at 06:12 AM
In VBA, how do I copy/insert (in place) a row and ensure that if the source row intersected a column range, that the new row would also be in the range and the range will grow by 1 (i.e. the inserted row).

If the cursor is on a row that is at the top of a range, the new row does not become a member of the range and the range doesn't increase size by one row.

xlUp and xlDown don't make a difference, nor does leaving them out (which Excel says is the best thing to do if you have intersecting columnar ranges). Hah!

Please help as this is critically important. Thanks much.
Joel

Related:

2 responses

venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 811
Apr 15, 2010 at 06:12 AM
I am making it completely automatic. You need not name the range. the macro "test" does it. only input you have to put it is you have to type the number of the row to be deleted for e.g. 2 or 3 or 4 when input box comes up. macro "undo" undoes what the macro does.

the database is like this from A1 to A5

don't do anything just run the macro "test" (both macro should be copied in the module). Sorry this has become a convoluted macro. I tried to use "resize". somehow or other I did not succeed. Perhaps some expert can give a better solution. But this solution works . if you want the the range of named range is different modify this statement in the macro "test" to suit you

Range("A2:a4").Name = "myrange"

the macros are

Sub test()
Dim r As Range, j As Integer, k As Integer, m As Integer
undo
Range("A2:a4").Name = "myrange"
Set r = Range("myrange")
m = WorksheetFunction.Count(r)
'MsgBox m
k = InputBox("type the number of the row to be selected")
Rows(k).Select
Set r = Range("myrange")
j = Range("myrange").Cells(1, 1).Row
'MsgBox j
Selection.Rows.Insert
If Selection.Row = j Then
ActiveWorkbook.Names("myrange").Delete
Range(Cells(Selection.Row, "A"), r.Cells(m, 1)).Name = "myrange"
End If
MsgBox Range("myrange").Address
End Sub

Sub undo()
Dim r As Range, c As Range
Set r = Range(Range("A1"), Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
For Each c In r
If c = "" Then c.EntireRow.Delete
Next c
End Sub
venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 811
Apr 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM
Your question is not clear to me I am guessing
suppose data is like this column A blank column B having data

now experiment with this macro . see whether you get any idea to get at a solution of your problem
in the macro j gives you last row before and after insertion of row.
Sub test() 
Dim j As Integer 
j = Cells(Rows.Count, "b").End(xlUp).Row 
MsgBox j 
Range("a4").EntireRow.Insert 
j = Cells(Rows.Count, "b").End(xlUp).Row 
MsgBox j 
End Sub
Thanks Venkat. This isn't quite what I'm looking for.
I have data in column A, rows 1 through 5.

Cells A2, A3, A4 are a range called myrange.

When the active row is 3, and I do a VBA copy/insert, the new row is in the range myrange bringing the total rows in the range to 4.

When the active row is 2 (in other words, at the top of the range myrange), the VBA copy/insert inserts a new row, BUT, the new row is not in the range myrange (myrange remains 3 rows big). The xlup and xldown don't make a difference.

I want the new, inserted row to be included in any range that is intersected by activerow (where the cursor is when I do the copy/insert).

Thanks much.