Vista freezes up all the time

Solved/Closed
mtodd7 - Oct 17, 2008 at 07:32 PM
 Big Bad T - Jul 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM
Hello,
I have an hp desk top with windows vista home edition. It was given to us as a gift ..i do not have the os disk. The computer freezes up all the time. I have to end up powering it off because it won't let me do anything at all on it. Very frustrating. Should I reformat it and reload the operating system back on it? Will this make it work? And how do I do this without the disk?? I did make up back up recovery disk but I have been told this won't fix my problem. I have had this computer for months and have barely been able to be on it at all. My other 2 computers in my home are windows xp. I am tempted to wipe off the vista and reload the xp, but I kind of wanted to keep one with vista to see if I liked it. I don't know enough to know if the problem is vista related or something else.

Thanks for any help/advice.

51 responses

I have vista 32bit and for the past couple of months, its been very frustrating, I can leave my computer on all day all night I can watch videos, type papers read emails play music and what ever I want....but the if I turn around to play my online games (Champions-online, WoW, or even Wizard 101) a few short minutes later either one of two things will happen a blue screen or a lock up its more concurrent with Champions I can only play for a few minutes at any point then bam one of those two things, I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, checked audio and video card drivers all up to date everything.....its getting bad....do I reformat and hope that all things will get cleared up or do I try and find out whats causing the issue...i cant even hibernate my computer to do some of these fixes people are saying to do...is that bad? some real help here would be great as not being able to play games cause its guaranteed a lock up or blue screen is starting to wear me down.
I have a Microexpress microflex 92B
Gigabyte Motheboard
(2) Nvidia Gforce 9400GT
The computer was freezing up exactly like ChildeRoland840 described.
It froze on main screen with pic showing but no mouse/ctrl alt del/ keyboard all dead.
I removed one video card and so far it seems ok. I originally tried BIOS update, power mgmt set to performance, shut down all programs, shut off some IV6 adapter....all did nothing.
I have 2 monitors and wanted the capability of 4, so now I have a spare card.
my pc freezes after I turn it on the screen goes black nothing works.......showed to a technician......HE SAID ITS A COMMON RAM ISSUE OPENED MY LAPTOP CLEANED THE RAM SOCKETS AND PUT THE RAM AGAIN SAME ISSUE THEN FINALLY BORROWED A RAM FOR A STORE AND IT WORKED PERFECT.......CHANGE UR RAM AND IT WORKS FINE
OVER HEATING CAUSED RAM DYSFUNCTION....

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I have a Dell laptop.It has Vista home basic.It was running fine,until one day the freezing problem started.After much deliberation,I deleted all the Microsoft updates.It surprisingly fixed the problem.I reccomend to all of you to not download and install Microsoft(Windows)updates.If you have any problems with the drivers,re-install it by using the resource CD or installation disk.You should also regularly use disk clean-up,disk defragmentation,registry cleaner,registry defragmentation and zappit cleaner to speed up your system.You can get all of these from Eusing.com and cloudeight.com.
try updating your bios , fujitsu siemens had a problem with duo cores on vista , it worked for me , I was pulling my hair out , 20-30 lock ups a day.
I had this problem with window 64-bit. After a couple of days of restarts, I removed Norton antivirus, and the problem was fixed.
Your computer freezing up may not necessarily be a software issue. If you do not have alot of memory it would also cause the pauses and slowdowns. If you have less than a gig of memory your system will struggling to run.
try taking out the anti virus program ,i had this problem with avg free and now use avast and the problem has gone.
I think dekitt's solution seems to work for me. my problem the same: windows vista freezes up all the time. I just uninstalled the video card driver under device manager in control panel, restarted the computer, and let it search and install the video card driver again. it seems to work. try it guys... thnx dekitt...
My computer freeze as well just sounds like your. Computer is suppose to be ok,
thinking of putting Windows Seven. Have been back to original start up, if I try to uodate problem comes back