Ares won't connect can you help me

Solved/Closed
Shy-Money - Updated on Jan 9, 2019 at 02:25 PM
 Grateful - Aug 4, 2019 at 06:55 AM
Hello, I have Ares 2.0.8,3029 and it won't connect. It keeps on saying "connecting" for hours. But does not connect! I don't know what to do! I want to connect my internet so I can download music online. Can you please help me?

System Configuration: Windows XP Safari 525.21

64 responses

i downloaded the latest ares but it wouldnt connect for hours, but I found out how to fix it.
open ares, click on 'control panel' at the top,click on transfer and at the bottom click on 'restore to default', then click 'bit torrent' and click on 'restore to default', the application must have an error... anyway goodluck
UAG Posts 1 Registration date Friday August 28, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 29, 2009
Aug 29, 2009 at 01:24 AM
I think i've finally figured it out how to make Ares works, again! Here's what to do: Go to control panel, tap to Network, down where the Proxy box is located, there's should be options on which type of proxy options (Don't use proxy/Use Sock4 proxy/Use Sock5 proxy) you'd like to set it in. Test each proxy out. While you're testing each proxy one at a time press the 'Check connection' button. You should able to get Ares working somewhere between the line of testing! It worked for me! Good Luck!
Uninstall Ares complete, delete all you previous music files because they contain traces of ares not working. After complete deleting your music files, re install ares 2008, and it should work perfectly!
The other Josh
Aug 31, 2009 at 11:11 PM
Hahahaha idk why or how this worked but all I did was delete the port number. And typed in 1234. Worked instantly

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
TNX MAN REALLY
This one works for me:

you need to allow Ares into the exception of your Firewall.
I use Windows Firewall.

Please note that you must checked on the option "File and Printer Sharing"

I hope this helps!
I tried all the things you guys said and the only one that worked was this:
I tried it with ares 2.0.9 and I have a Vista
1)I uninstalled it using windows control panel
2)Downloaded this version http://www.ares.net/ - installed it - searched for a music file (or whatever you want)
*it won't let you to download files,saying you need activation code!
3)while the new version was on I installed my old version again (the 2.0.9 one)
4)when it started it had a whole new look(which is good cuz I was kinda tired of the old look eyk)
5)search for the file you want to download .....
*now I have a little problem here myself:it still says CONNECTING but I just downloaded a video file and it worked for me I hope it'll work for you too!

thanx to FT_Cool
yeah it works again! I formatted yesterday and I installed ares and it didn't work same problem as you! first I thought damn they shut this program down but I told my friend hey does your ares still work and he said yes so I then thought it was a port thing! nope I did everything this site told me! disable auto connection and I always never load on start up! and still didn't work until I changed the Internet home URL and it connected! thanks guys I was gonna be pist if this didn't work :-p
Hello,

For those of you having the ARES problems, here's some good information I wanted to share.

I have WINXP SP3 and WIN7 installed on different HDD. I downloaded ares from the official site about a month ago (I have downloaded another one today). I won't post the version or the URL cause it doesn't matter.

I was using XP almost all the time, ARES was working without any problems, then I decided to give a try to WIN7. Then I installed Vuze and Ares, Vuze worked flowless while ares was showing "connecting", I leave it for almost 3 weeks with no results so I decided to look at some forums to avoid the troubleshooting process.

I could have just posted the solution on a single line without writing all this. But I think I want to give extra help.
There's many and many different home networks around the world and so so many different ISPs, the fact that there's so many different settings that you could change then troubleshooting this problem is not easy, BUT the fact that ARES works on some OS (mine WINXP SP3) WITH THE SAME HARDWARE, the SAME EXE FILE, THE SAME ROUTER AND THE SAME IPS and not work on VISTA/7 isolates any DSL, CABLE, or any other connection.

In other words, it's not your VERSION OR ARES (cause the same file works on XP), it's not your ISP, it's not your Linksys router or DLINK or whatever vendor you're using. Then it's something in the config of your ARES or WINDOWS.

So please don't waste time downloading any other versions or from any other sites.

Please disable all security stuff first, firewall, windows defender, anti-virus, anything that could be blocking ports and TCP/UDP connections. Then set the basic settings, userID, sex, country and state. Mark the option "my pc is under a firewall..." that's on the network tab. THEN click on FILE SHARING and click on "start scan". Then wait until scan finishes, go drink some coffe or do something and forget about the ares, after some time, (depending on your PC HHD and how many stuff you have) you should have the scan finished and the ARES ONLINE.

That's it. Easy, no ISP no other version no nothing. Just SCAN your files. I have mine working on WIN7 that's not even released by this time.

Hope this helps
HEY THE SOLUTION I FOUND WAS SIMPLE I HOPE IT WORKS FOR ALL YOU GUYS; BASICALLY ALL I NEEDED TO DO WAS DISABLE MY WINDOWS FIREWALL, IT SCREWS EVERYTHING UP!!!!!
ONCE YOU HAVE DONE THAT ARES CONNECTS WITHIN MILLISCONDS :D
IF YOU ARE RUNNING VISTA THE VERSION YOU NEED IS AT THIS LINK, YOU CAN THANK ME LATER, JE, JE:

http://aresvista.com/
it worked for me by changing the sharing folder try ittt
I just found the solution. I use Windows XP SP1 and I've been using Ares 1.9.1 but a week ago stopped working (connecting to be more exact). I just went to www.ares.net I downloaded the new Ares and name it AresNew for a new folder. I opened this new Ares and it worked! After that I just uninstalled it and opened my old Ares and now it connects! Don't use the new Ares, just download it, connect it, then get rid of it 'cause you have to pay.
I HAVE THE ANSWER......................I HAVE THE ANSWER............I HAVE THE ANSWER..................I have the answer why Ares wont connect...After 3 long long loooong days of trying and researching...and pulling my hair out......I finally found why Ares is such a funny program..And why its so stubbon to connect...The Answer is because when you install it and try and use it ...it wont connect if you have any other downloading program installed on youre comp...when you download Ares and install it..part of the installation is a search for any other downloading programs..peer to peer or what ever you like to call it...It has to be the ONLY peer 2 peer program you are installing and have on youre comp........."a peer to peer program is just a downloading program..for those who dont know what Peer to Peer is"........So You have 2 UNinstall any of youre other downloading programs..then install Ares.....It should pritty much start downloading straight away after a instalation.....After then you can Reinstall all your other peer to peer programs..FrostWire..Donky...LimeWire...ShareBear..what ever takes youre fancy................I can get some sleep now...Plz comment on my hard work...I would love to hear from anyone whose this helps.....

ALSO.......The New version of Ares 2.2.7.doesnt work...........well it works....But not proply....and its the first of the Ares versions that limits what you download..it also has a slower download rate............Ares ver 2.0.7....is the last version that just lets you get on with youre downloads.....Its still there to download and still works...But for how much longer.....
If the ares says connecting I got the same problem with me no worry you just check the virus definition tool there I got here kaspersky virus , I just click the setting button of the right top corner and than you will get the threat and exclusion in that u just click add button browse the ares in the desktop and add that , in few seconds you will get connected enjoy
all my downloads are stuck and I don't know how to fix it. please help me, I tried Ares Connect but it didn't work.
mc nathan yo yo
Mar 24, 2010 at 03:33 PM
you have to go on to control panel pick a nick name set up your account and go on stuff like general transfer chat network an then scan and then just finish the scan don't tick any and then just restart your computer after that connect and disconnect your nickname a few more times and then it should work just fine
you need to download another ares beacuase that one dosent work mine it really work so fast like when you put is theere download the lastest version
ares is no longer free to download you must purchase a full version of ares
i have the same problem, how do you fixed it? could you help me please!!, thanks!! :)
Hello, my name Ritesh and I have ares 2.0.8,3029 and it won't connect it keep saying connecting for hours and I don't know what to do so that it will say online so I can start downloading music.Can you please help me !!!!!!!!!!