My computer turns off after 30 sec to 1 min

Solved
Arkthenoob - Oct 14, 2008 at 06:13 PM
 vivek - May 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM
Hello,
Recently, my computer has started to shut down on its own after 30 seconds to 1 minute after I turn it on. In the past I would have a problem of my computer becoming unresponsive after maybe 2-3 hours of being on, but it only did it about once a month or so. Currently, it wont make it past the window xp screen when it loads and when I try to cut it on again it will cut off at the start up where it says the memory, graphic card, etc at the very start. I tried removing the memory which is 512 MB and the computer would stay on, so right now I am thinking I just need to replace that since when I re-install it, the computer will shut off again. The computer is a Compaq Presario 2.6Ghz, pretty old, about 5 or so years old. I'm wondering if I should just replace the memory or just take it to a professional. Any responses are appreciated.
Related:

8 responses

this might by your problem, we where having the same problem here. After spending over $300.00 trying to find out what was wrong, all it was is the tower button that starts the computer. We unpluged the tower button and now it is working perfectly. If we want to turn off the computer, we now just turn it off by the switch on the back of the tower.
Awesome, I just had the same problem with my mom's computer, I took the power switch off and used the reset switch instead.
awesome....you are genius....