Linksys wireless router...limited or no conn

Solved/Closed
simrin - Oct 9, 2008 at 11:55 PM
 ad2447 - Aug 23, 2010 at 03:00 PM
Hello,
I am having a lot of problems setting my laptop on the wireless internet connection at home. I have XP running on my laptop. I have a mac physically connected to the router and is working perfectly okay. It also works well wirelessly. However I am having problems with my PC. It tells me my signal is "excellent." Yet when I try to connect to the internet it gives me the message that the connect is limited or has no connectivity. I have tried the repair button numerous times and that doesn't help. It keeps telling me to have my network manager correct the problem. Going to the linksys site 192.168.1.1 I copied info in the DNS, Subnet mask, and Default Gateway and I plugged it into my computer under the properties section of the TCP/IP option. That didn't work....I know that my laptop and router do work well together because it worked beautiful a year ago before we switched to a new internet provider. Now we are back to our old one and to be wireless I am using the Linksys wireless router again.

Help please. I appreciate the help
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Oct 14, 2008 at 12:30 AM
Since no one else has responded I will give it a try.
You might find something below that will help.

The 1st thing I would look at is do you have "NetBios over Tcp/IP " installed? You can't get DHCP to work without it.
A low-tech fix , that has worked for some people, is to unplug the wireless gateway/router - let it sit until it has lost its settings ( 2 to 3 min) and then start it up again.

I am still researching this problem after I had something like this happen to me. My fix was to install a different wireless card in the PC-card slot.

These hints are for the more advanced user:

click on start, run, enter 'services.msc'

look for DHCP client....
if it says acquiring network address that means that the dhcp client is DISABLED OR STOPTED... highlight the DHCP client and on the left side you will see "START" the service, click on it and then it will say "STOP, RESTART" then double click on the service and on the startup type select automatic, apply

Symptom
DHCP Client Service may not start automatically. When you attempt to start the Service manually, the following error may be displayed:

Error: Could not start the DHCP Client Service on local computer
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Resolution
The DHCP Client Service in Windows XP, depends on these three components:
* AFD
* NetBios over Tcpip
* TCP/IP Protocol Driver

If one of the above drivers fail to start, then the DHCP Client Service may not start.
Step I - Make sure that the three driver files are present

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to /Windir/System32Drivers folder. Make sure that the following files are present in the folder:

* afd.sys
* tcpip.sys
* netbt.sys

If one or more of the above driver files are missing, extract them from the Windows XP CD-ROM or from the ServicePackFilesi386 folder, whichever is the latest version.

Step II - Verify the number of Dependencies

From other sources in the Web, I've found that some versions of Norton Antivirus (NAV) adds an entry to the DHCP Service Dependencies, and removing NAV does not remove the appropriate value from the DHCP Dependencies.

To quickly determine the Dependency services for DHCP Client Service, type the following command in Start, Run dialog:

CMD /K SC QC DHCP

Verify the output. It should be exactly as below:

[SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: dhcp
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:WINDOWSsystem32svchost.exe -k netsvcs
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : TDI
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : DHCP Client
DEPENDENCIES : Tcpip
: Afd
: NetBT
SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

If additional entries are listed under DEPENDENCIES...
If any other additional drivers or Services are mentioned in the DEPENDENCIES section, you need to remove them via the registry. Follow these steps:

* Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
* Navigate to the following branch:
* Backup the branch to a REG file

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services Dhcp

* Double-click DependOnService MULTI_SZ value and set it's data as follows:

Tcpip
Afd
NetBT

* Close Regedit.exe

Step III - Verify that the Dependency Service / components are running

Next step is to verify that the three dependency components are running. As the three components are actually the Kernel Drivers (Driver Service), you need to manage then via the Device Manager. Follow these steps:

* Click Start, Run and type DEVMGMT.MSC
* In the View menu, click Show hidden devices
* Double-click Non-Plug and Play drivers section
* Double-click the entry - AFD Networking Support Environment, and click the Driver tab
* Set the Startup type to System.
* Start the service. Note down the error message if any.
* Similarly start the two other drivers namely:

* TCP/IP Protocol Driver
* NetBios over Tcpip

* Close Device Manager and restart Windows.
Nice....very very effective advice...Thanks a lott..friend...