Recherche
Ask a question Report

Wireless Switch Problem [Solved/Closed]

Kimberly - Latest answer on Apr 2, 2013 06:29AM
Hello,
I just recently put a new power jack in my laptop.
Everything worked fine except for now my wireless does not work.
I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop. I keep getting an error that says the radio is disabled.
I try to enable it and it does not save the setting. It reverts back to disabled.
The FN - F2 keys do not turn the wireless on. It does nothing.
The wireless switch on the side seems to be very loose and the LED does not light up.
I've went into the wireless utility to enable it and I still get the error that says it is disabled.
It is recognized in my device manager and it says it is working properly.
I'm game for taking the whole thing apart again....I just don't know what to do from this point.
Any guesses would be great.
I don't have the money to send it back to Dell and, of course, the warranty has expired.
Thanks,
Kimberly
Read more 
Answer
+174
moins plus
I had the same problem with a Sony Vaio. It seems one of the updates put entries in my registry to start a Vaio Lan Manager with Windows.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Check these keys to see if any kind of a 3rd party Lan Manager is running. If so, delete the entries and reboot.

Sorry about the lateness of my answer, but I just had the problem.

Good luck.

CXM- Jun 23, 2010 10:30PM
can you explain this in a way i can understand, i dont get what i have to do, can someone explain in steps
Tinyb- Jun 26, 2010 05:03PM
Could someone explain the whole keys thing to me as well please because i don't know how to do all of this. Also i do not have the icon with the two arrows either. I could really do with help please and thank you!
leij- Nov 4, 2012 05:42AM
where can i find the hkey_localmachine???
Linc- Nov 8, 2012 10:39PM
Look for Regedit, run it. Then look through the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder for the other folders and follow it etc.

I wouldn't recommend playing around with your registry if you're not familiar with what you're doing tbh.
Aardvark67 1Posts Tuesday April 2, 2013Registration date April 2, 2013Last seen - Apr 2, 2013 06:29AM
Thank You oh clevva one ... worked like a charm on dell pp39l .. happened after a bunch of win 7 updates
Answer
+139
moins plus
This is a bug in windows XP, regardless of brand.
My notevook is a toshiba but the same happened in my friend´s sony.
After installing service pack 3 wireless networks are detected but not available ...

Answer
+54
moins plus
For the Sony Vaio problems connecting to the wireless network look for the Sony utility "Vaio Smart Network" If you can get that to run and provide you with a little control panel with three icons for wirless, wired, and phone - you tick the checkbox on the wireless and your little LED for the wireless card will light up and you are back in business.

Mizz- Jun 21, 2010 06:14PM
Thanks dude..
lkk- Oct 30, 2012 09:07PM
This solved it. Thanks
melin- Nov 5, 2012 11:44AM
worked! thanks!
Answer
+36
moins plus
hey guys...

I have a Vaio FJ58GP, and having the same issues with the wireless! I've been reading everyone's comments but still trying to figure out a solution. any help will be much appreciated.

the issue is my laptop isn't picking up any networks. the h'ware switch in front of the machine is switched on, tried everything from uninstall to reinstall software/drivers, still no go. when I connect my router/modem with an Ethernet cable, I am able to connect to the network.

so the question is, is there anything I can do before buying a new wireless card? I looked in the BIOS but couldn't find any wireless on/off switch, unless I am looking in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance.

damsell in distress- Nov 2, 2009 06:22PM
I have a Dell Latitude Laptop and I have the same problem. I took it to the store where I bought it for a new battery and since then, the wireless networks stopped appearing and so I don't have wireless internet connection. In the Wireless Network connection window there are "no wireless networks in range" and it says "make sure the wireless connection is on" but I don't know where that is....many of the comments that I've read don't help me at all...there is an "i" button in the top center of the laptop...is that it?
HELP!!!
penguinbloke- Apr 26, 2010 04:36AM
try the dell control point manager and check if airplane mode is turned on. took me the best part of a day updating drivers and reinstalling programs to find it.
EM- Jun 29, 2010 05:44AM
Hi I am Noemi. I reformat my toshiba laptop from Japanese to English however the wireless LAN enable diable tool is missing and is looking for 2.0.2.32.2009.0306.01 version. Also, it says that the support device is missing. Please help me about this. Please email me at retrogirl143@gmail.com
Answer
+31
moins plus
I have found that most laptops have both a hardware switch and a software switch for wireless. On a Vaio I was asked to troubleshoot, the software switch was off. The control is usually accessed by keystroke or in my case, an icon in the System Tray on the Taskbar (lower right hand corner of your screen). The control for the Sony is not very noticable. Took a few minutes to uncover. I'm thinking the previous suggestions about deleted registry keys would also work because they delete the Sony software in favor of Windows management software.

Answer
+27
moins plus
There are many reasons a wireless radio will stop functioning. First and foremost check to ensure your wireless radio switch is turned "on"

If this is the case then ensure you have wireless network drivers installed. (right click my computer, properties, hardware, hardware manager, network adapters)

If it appears to be installed correctly, Try this, Start > Run > type in "services.msc" (without quotes) scroll down the list for "Wireless Zero Configuration" right click, check properties, in the startup ensure it says "automatic" then simply click on "start" Once it's started, right click on your wireless connection icon, select "view available wireless connections" (should still be blank) click on "change advanced settings" then "wireless network" tab and ensure the check box that says "Use windows to configure my wireless settings" is checked...
Apply and OK all and then refresh your wireless network list.

Hope this helps.

Answer
+26
moins plus
the above registry fix works . thank you for that found the sony lan manager entry in the local user section of windows removed, rebooted, works fine thank you

Capt_haddock

Dhiraj- May 6, 2010 02:08AM
i have a compaq presario v2000. i m trying to switch on my wireless, but as i push the wireless button, there is no response..........Device manager shows that the network adapters are working properly but it shows no wireless connections.......Please help!
Answer
+17
moins plus
Hey, I had this problem on my acer aspire 3680. I think the radio got disabled when my roommate unplugged my ac adapter and the battery drained while the laptop was still on. The only thing that worked for me was to update/reflash my BIOS. It fixed the problem right away, so it may work for others as well.

-alex

huey- Dec 15, 2009 09:38AM
Hey aj,
I got a acer 3680 also and my wireless switch is not working. Can u help me and tell me step by step on how u got yours to work. Thanks..
Answer
+14
moins plus
looks like you unplugged something or broke something or dropped solder on the motherboard.

Answer
+13
moins plus
The wireless switch problem occurs when i put on the laptop "Sony Vaio" Raaj

Answer
+13
moins plus
if wifi switch is not working, just disable wifi control/wifi switch on bios to turn on always the wifi.

rudy- Mar 7, 2013 09:02AM
thanks, this works.
Answer
+12
moins plus
Hi, I've had the same issue with my Sony Vaio. After windows does an update the wireless is no longer detected, and yes the switch on the front set to on before you ask. The only thing that works for me is to do a system restore. Not sure how this affects the windows updates. Cheers

kay- Aug 22, 2009 01:48PM
Hey,
I have a problem with my wireless switch too. I dont know whats wrong. If i turn it on Physically the light doesnt turn on and it says windows cant detect wireless networks. Could you please help me out. Thanks a lot.
Take care
keith
Answer
+12
moins plus
I used FN - F2 to fix my sister's wireless problem.. It does work.. she is using windows 7... Turned out she had a software failure...

Answer
+10
moins plus
I have a latitude z. The solutioon was -but simple- yet it took a long time to figure out.

There is a small switch that controls the wireless on the left hand side of the computer close to the screen. Battery life is improved if the wireless is turned off, but then the wireless doesn't work. Duh.

Answer
+7
moins plus
I HAVE A ACER TRAVEL MATE 8100 AND I HAD TO RE INSTALL WINDOWS XP SO I DID BUT NOW MY WIRLESS WILL NOT COME ON AT ALL DOSE ANY ONE NO HOW TO FIX IT

Answer
+7
moins plus
I have a Vaio 38E, after last windows update I had a problem with WIFI as follows:-

Switch was on, Light was off!!
Diagnosis = no problems yet still no internet...

Initial fix was to go into the sony vaio smart network and turn off the wifi then turn on again...
(either use wifi switch off then on, or double click the two arrows on bottom right of screen, then go into wifi/wireless LAN, then settings turn off apply, then on then apply).
this works but gets annoying as you have to do it everytime you shut laptop or turn off.....

Looked for hours searched all over the place, was getting really p**ed off... then I found it..... after looking at it at least 100 times previously....

There is a check box to start the Sony Vaio Smart Network on startup...
(in the same place I was using to turn off and on the wifi !!!! see above)

deselect this option... and hey presto it works..
If you need it it can still be found in the programme menu....

Much easier than deleting registry files.... and reinstalling wifi....

Hope this helps, :)

Answer
+7
moins plus
I have an HP. click start, then programs, then network and internet.
click hp wireless assistant. click on properties. check box for independent controls for wireless devices and click apply. click turn on. This should turn on your wireless connection.

Answer
+6
moins plus
I had the same problem with my new Sony Vaio - was working online with my laptop in my lap, got up to get a drink, and found myself logged off. Could not find the wireless switch. The trouble shooting guide does NOT tell you where Sony engineers decided to hide your switch. It is located two inches to the left of the audio jack in the front, under the keyboard. It has the word "wireless" next to the indicator light in the front but it doesn't tell you where the switch is located. A simple arrow pointing below would be a brilliant idea that Sony engineers could not produce in their brains. You have to look underneath the laptop, lift it up and then you'll see the switch. When you hold the laptop against your body, it's actually very easy to turn the switch off without knowing what happened and then you scratch your head because you lost the wireless connection. Another sloppy Sony design, that makes the customer feel stupid for not finding the switch.

nicole- Feb 2, 2013 04:37PM
omg u just saved my night. i know NOTHING about computers therefore didnt know what the hell they meant by using the hardware switch. i thought it was something in the computer i had to find. i was ready to pull out my hair not being able to find it in the computer somewhere. thank you thank you thank you!!! xoxoxoxo
Answer
+6
moins plus
Hey I'm Having This Problem With My Laptop Well The Main computer Has A Wireless Router And There Are Ł Laptops Connected Though The Router And My Internet Connection Just Says Unavailable Everytime i turn on the Laptop i have Tried Just About Every Thing Even If I Click '' Search For A Wireless Connection In Range It Does Not Pick Anything up It Says I Need To Connect My Hardware Or Something If Anyone Know's Or Have Had This Problem Or Either Know's The Cure Please Write Back I Dont Know how It Happend But Thanks.

Answer
+6
moins plus
I have the same problem too and my computer is a Sony Vaio VGN-NR160E. I have found a file in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
named NSUFloatingUI "C:\Program Files\Sony\Network Utility\LANUtil.exe"

Do I delete this?

1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « Wireless Switch Problem » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.