XP startup prob: blue screen, reboot, repeat

Solved/Closed
hepdoll - Oct 5, 2008 at 04:39 PM
 dilk - Dec 18, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Hello,

I am new here, and I'm desperate for some help with my Windows XP Pro machine. (I think I'm running SP2, but I can't be 100% sure; it's been a long time since I used this machine.) Apologies in advance for this post's length; I really am not sure what to do here and have tried some things already, and would really appreciate any help you can give me.

I have not used this computer for the past couple of years, and the few times I've tried to turn it on recently, I get a blue screen that reads:

STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image ole32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

The way it happens is that after the Windows XP logo screen shows up (the one with the "loading" bar), I get a blue screen that flashes so quickly I can't read it, and then the computer restarts. I can get the blue screen to stay by hitting F8 repeatedly as the computer boots up, then selecting "Disable automatic restart on system failure" from the menu.

Also from that F8 screen, I have tried starting in the following modes but the same problem happens, where it gets to the XP logo/loading screen, then has the blue screen flash and reboots:
- safe mode
- last known good configuration
- debugging mode

I have been pointed to this page (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/?Product=winxp but I am a little confused by it, especially because I don't have a Windows 98 or ME disk. (This computer came from Dell in 2000 with Windows 98 on it, and I installed XP on it a year or two later from a Windows XP Professional CD, and used the computer successfully for the next few years, installing a service pack or two along the way. I can't find a way to follow their instructions to create a Windows 98 start-up disk from MS-DOS because I am not running 98 on this machine.)

Other message boards have suggested to try going into "repair" mode by inserting my Windows XP installation disk. I followed the instructions here (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm without backing up my data because I can't get into my operating system to do that. (I realize that is risky; didn't think I really had a choice.) I got as far as step 3, as listed under "XP Repair Install." But when I hit "enter" to start the Windows Setup, I got this message:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

"Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

"Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

Now, the computer came with a 20GB harddrive in 2000. At the beginning of 2005, a friend installed a new harddrive for me, 250GB, which replaced the 20GB. (The 20GB is no longer in there.) The 250GB drive shows up in the list of drives on the black-with-white text BIOS screen that shows up at the beginning of each reboot, so something must be detecting the drive.

So I don't know what to do now! Is my only option get a new harddrive, install XP on it, then run my current hard drive as a slave in order to pull files off it?
Related:

35 responses

Be careful loading from your old hard drive. This same thing happened to me and I had to get a new PC. I can't connect my old hard drive to my new PC so I went to a friends house to use his. Guess what, now his is all jacked up. The very same thing happened to him that happened to me. Looks like I'll be buying a new hard drive this week.
Typically what I would do to backup the data is take that drive out of the computer, put it into an external enclosure, plug that into a different computer, back everything up to the second computer, reformat the original one.

It's easier to format than to have windows attempt to fix itself. Especially considering a fresh install of windows starts broken.

You may ask why: it's windows, it's always broken ;D

Cheers,
Unemployed Techie
I think I know what to do maby you could try to use the xp program while having the 20gb harddrive installed as a slave and the other as master while runing the xp program I tryed it with mine and everything is runign great by the way what size is the prosser? pentium 2,3 or 4? because the size of the prosser may need to be bigger but I never had that problem sence I tryed what I have recommended to you. sincerly moose.
Use a SLAX CD disk to boot up with. Its easy to use, user friendly and doesnt need Windows to start, and save your Data by copying to your Usb drives, by right clicking copy and paste (Its called Paste URLS in Slax). Your hard drive will show up in System as hard drives no matter what is wrong. I cant remember the commands for Formatting your drive but I know it works no matter if the HD becomes RAW or cant boot or the MBR is deleted. Sorry I dont know much but its easy to find your way around slax more like Mac than windows but easy once you explore

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
go to f10 and select safe mode after in safe mode install a anti virus program (try webroot with anti virus) then find a malware program to take out the malware that is infecting your computer.... This should solve your problem... if not just format the hard drive and reinstall windows
I accidentally deleted my operating system on my computer and I have now tried to make a new one on a different computer which, to my knowledge, I did correctly. But, every time I try to start repairing my operating system, I get the blue screen right after it starts. I don't know what to do, but I'm trying to use an external hard drive and I doubt it will work. Any help is appreciated.
Blocked Profile
Feb 18, 2010 at 04:05 AM
Here is some tips to fix BSOD..if it is causing from lack of SATA Drivers
http://techchand.org/1/how-to-fix-blue-screen-on-windows-xp-installation
Ha ha, you guys are great! Keep up the good work. I know how frustrating the BSOD is, I get at with my company at least once a week. Here is a tip: "Update Your Drivers"

http://bluescreenerror.org
Buy a new drive install windows on the new drive then copy the files from the old drive. Because it is only the window portion of the old drive is damage. Everything else on the old drive should be OK. So you wont loos your files that you cant replace. Ex old tax forms, etc.
I generally keep 2 Hard drives in my PC and try installing most applications to my second drive since the main drive with windows is always the one to crash. Another thing is to buy a very large drive partition it that windows has it own partition. Then try to put most of your data file and even some application that store data to the other partition(s). That will help when your windows crash.
But to actually stop your computer from rebooting before Windows start is really to reinstall windows. That is what I know, somebody might know a way.
There is nothing can be done unless you have another Hard disk, to install windows XP on. Otherwise you may loose everything on your present hard drive.
So if you have a little hard drive that is good and just lying around put it in the computer and put windows XP on it. Then once you have a good XP running you can salvage the other one up to where it was before. the process in not difficult but I will have to wait until I know you can afford do what I stated here first
Buy a 700 mb check. Download the Ubuntu LiveCD .iso file and burn it to cd. You can google how to burn an iso to a cd. Then put the cd in, reboot and select "Try Ubuntu with no change to your computer". Look up more about the option. Sorry I can't explain, I gtg.
i have the same problem with the blue screen popping out sometimes if I dont use it for a day it lets me log in then after 30 min if not less of using it, it pops up. Im thinking about re-installing vista on it when ever it does that but dont know if it would mess it up.

Need help email me if you can at Email Id removed for security
i think u have to repair corrupted missing system files using registry booster software

this might help
Hey Guys! I had the Same problem :P Just Open up your CPU box, Remove the RAM and Reinsert the same one. It works for me XP
Hi Continual blue screen of death can also mean a hardware conflict or a corrupt registry. Open up your case and look for your 'JBAT' jumper and cross pins 2/3 (with the machine off of course) for up to a minute to clear the CMOS settings. If you can't find the jumper remove the battery for a minute and replace does the same thing. On reboot you may see bad checksum hit F1 to enter setup or some other key to continue. Your sustem will load default values to ensure machine works! Good luck
hi I think that your computer has been wiped with a virus you might need to get a new hard disk or maybe if you can get into safe mode restore your computer to an earlier time when you used it last when it was fine. But if none of that works you will have to live without all of those files on your computer and buy a new one. But if your warranty is still valid that is a different matter