Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

XP startup prob: blue screen, reboot, repeat [Solved/Closed]

hepdoll - Latest answer on Dec 18, 2012 04:46PM
Hello,
I am new here, and I'm desperate for some help with my Windows XP Pro machine. (I think I'm running SP2, but I can't be 100% sure; it's been a long time since I used this machine.) Apologies in advance for this post's length; I really am not sure what to do here and have tried some things already, and would really appreciate any help you can give me.
I have not used this computer for the past couple of years, and the few times I've tried to turn it on recently, I get a blue screen that reads:
STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image ole32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.
The way it happens is that after the Windows XP logo screen shows up (the one with the "loading" bar), I get a blue screen that flashes so quickly I can't read it, and then the computer restarts. I can get the blue screen to stay by hitting F8 repeatedly as the computer boots up, then selecting "Disable automatic restart on system failure" from the menu.
Also from that F8 screen, I have tried starting in the following modes but the same problem happens, where it gets to the XP logo/loading screen, then has the blue screen flash and reboots:
- safe mode
- last known good configuration
- debugging mode
I have been pointed to this page (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326687&Product=winxp) but I am a little confused by it, especially because I don't have a Windows 98 or ME disk. (This computer came from Dell in 2000 with Windows 98 on it, and I installed XP on it a year or two later from a Windows XP Professional CD, and used the computer successfully for the next few years, installing a service pack or two along the way. I can't find a way to follow their instructions to create a Windows 98 start-up disk from MS-DOS because I am not running 98 on this machine.)
Other message boards have suggested to try going into "repair" mode by inserting my Windows XP installation disk. I followed the instructions here (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm), without backing up my data because I can't get into my operating system to do that. (I realize that is risky; didn't think I really had a choice.) I got as far as step 3, as listed under "XP Repair Install." But when I hit "enter" to start the Windows Setup, I got this message:
"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
"Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.
"Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."
Now, the computer came with a 20GB harddrive in 2000. At the beginning of 2005, a friend installed a new harddrive for me, 250GB, which replaced the 20GB. (The 20GB is no longer in there.) The 250GB drive shows up in the list of drives on the black-with-white text BIOS screen that shows up at the beginning of each reboot, so something must be detecting the drive.
So I don't know what to do now! Is my only option get a new harddrive, install XP on it, then run my current hard drive as a slave in order to pull files off it?
Read more 
Answer
+61
moins plus
If you can boot into safe mode, then try to go to /START/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Restore.
Pick out a restore point at least one day before problem appeared.

If you can not boot windows at all, then you can try to fix the boot.ini file:
Boot to c:
Then type in the following:
CD\
ATTRIB -H C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -S C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -R C:\boot.ini
DEL boot.ini
BOOTCFG /REBUILD
answer 'Y' to ADD question
answer 'Windows XP (Home/Pro/Media Center <- whaever yours is) to ID question
set load= /fastdetect /noexecute=option
Now fix HDD with:
CHKDSK C: /R /F
FIXBOOT
EXIT

Registry Mechanic is a great tool that will help prevent this from happening in the first place. I hope this helps.

TryingToHelp- Mar 17, 2010 04:02AM
SOLVED!!!

I had the same problem, installed another copy on a different partition and with the same problem, tryed everything, but no luck. So i went ahead and went into bios settings by clicking on f2 at the start, and chose change to default setting and exited, and out of the blue IT WORKED hahaha, just so happy, hope this helps
BaldFromBSOD- Mar 18, 2010 12:48AM
TryingtoHelp, once you got rid of the BSOD, were you still able to access your saved files? I've been dealing with this problem for nearly a week and my concern (like anyone else) is saving my files. If I can, I will. If I can't, I'll..... I'll..... well, I guess I'll just scream and eventually get over it.
Answer
+48
moins plus
Uhm wow alot of people have this problems eh, well ME 222222!!!!!

It worked fine this morning switched it off normally, now it will not start up in any mode, I get a blue screen that flashes so quickly I can't read it, and then the computer restart itself immediately, when I tried safe mode it showed page full off driver information ending with windowssystem32driversmup.sys and and it flash up the blue page then automatically restart itself agin. It keep doing it over and over.

When it restart it also led to this page that have "Safe Mode, Start window normally, and Last Known Good Configuration...ect.." I tried to click on every options but it still the same, the blue page came up agin.

I looked up several site and I this is the same person from those websites.

Plz give Us a Working Solution .

Answer
+29
moins plus
My PC boots, then XP Startup after displays a blue screen quickly that i cant read and then reboot again,

Please help

Answer
+24
moins plus
hi bro, i think the problem with the RAM so you have to change it ant it will work am working as a computer tec and i face the same problem, trust me its the RAM
by

Ernie- May 1, 2010 07:01AM
It cant be the Ram: that is definitely a hard-disk problem
Answer
+11
moins plus
guys..to back up your data try to run windows from a usb drive or cd-rom add some backup utilities on it,set up a new local conection with another computer and just transfer ur data,,u can do this with xp or vista.....the blue screen its because windows some how lost some files that need to star up....

cocapapi- Jan 26, 2010 03:14PM
i have this blue screen problem which reads the checksum doesn match the checksum of my computer......image (image.dll)......have i lost files to make my windows start-up?
Answer
+9
moins plus
to recover the data from a windows computer when windows won't boot:
go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the latest desktop edition (9.10 Karmic Koala as of writing)
Burn the ISO to disc using ISO recorder (http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm)
boot from the Ubuntu disc choose try Ubuntu without change to my computer
go to System -> Administration -> Disk Utility
select your hard disk on the left the click more info - this will tell you if there is a problem with the hard disk itself, if there is you will need to replace it
on the desktop open up the hard disk and backup the data to flash drives (the one labeled with a large size and "volume" is the hard disk)
download partition logic here: http://partitionlogic.org.uk/download/index.html
burn it to another CD
boot partition logic in graphical mode
delete the windows partitions NOTICE: Will delete ALL data irrecoverably
make a new windows partition
write changes to disk
go to the disk menu and say "write basic MBR"
reboot and reinstall windows (or just use Ubuntu and not worry about the blue screen of death)

Answer
+6
moins plus
Your last option might be the best if you want the data from the current drive. Install the new drive in place of the old one using the same plug. I assume its an IDE drive with a large flat cable. Then reinstall XP. Next change the jumper on the old hard drive to "slave" and plug it in the the unused plug on the IDE cable. Restart Windows and copy the data you want from the old to new hard drive. Use of the old drive for critical data is not advised. At the very least run CHKDSK on the old drive - the checksum error probably is from I/O errors or bad/marginal disk sectors.

Willy- Feb 21, 2010 03:34PM
Hey, i dont really get what u mean by getting a new hard drive and so on what u said back on. So im asking can you explain it easier because my computer Window Xp Professional, whenever i go to the window loading screen to the login screen there will be a blue screen saying all these about a CD drive thing about having a CD in the slot. When i read the thing from this link it told me to try to press F8 and try all these things but when i did it did'nt work. So can u explain how to get to the desktop if you know how. Thank You!
hellocat 26Posts sábado, 7 de marzo de 2009Registration date April 30, 2010Last seen - Mar 17, 2010 02:25AM
I think your hard disk get corrupt, you can visit this site so get some help.
It writes about common blue screen causes. http://www.ehow.com/how_6047978_fix-windows-blue-screen-death.html got the tool from Resources part and do a free scan.
swee- Mar 29, 2010 07:44AM
Hey my computer keep restart saying installation and it kept restart and ask me to press f8 and go safe mode to repair but if i go to safe mode the is lots of thing i could not go in any easier method to solve it?
salom- Apr 20, 2010 01:36AM
Im currently conducting a research on detailed technical specification per component (including warranty/guarantee offered) additional software required and motivation of why I decided to choose the specification regarding a PC that runs day to day household administration, browsing & downloading on the internet please help
Computer for dummies- Jun 4, 2010 12:49PM
English please!!! :)
Answer
+6
moins plus
hey guys crazy enough i'm having a problem with this "blue screen of death" I am by no means a computer tech or anything like that but I have tried everything. It happens after I load Windows XP (this is a dell product btw) then it goes to a Blue Screen that says

Check to be sure you have adquate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select Advanced startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, OxA277DB75, 0xB0DC17E8, 0x00000000 )

Sorry for the post in fact, I hate having to post this! If anyone can help I would be very much apprecitive. I tried going into Safe Mode like they said but I can't find the any of those Drivers... if those are even drivers?

I have a Windows 98 back-up disk I tried using... I'm not even sure if you can downgrade to w98 but anywho when I load it, it pretty much does the same thing and leads me back to this "BSOD" : (

I have 2 little boys who keep bugging me about this and I would like a solution. THANKS A LOT GUYS!

Answer
+5
moins plus
its happening on my 2000 pro as well . I got the files back by putting HDD in a external case but does not matter what i do i cannot get the computer to run even with clean install cheers

Answer
+4
moins plus
There are programs that create windows 98 startup disks.

To solve this best, just google for one of those, and follow this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326687&Product=winxp)

Answer
+4
moins plus
Man, this problem happend just now with my laptop, when i woke it up from stand-by and the keyboard wasn't working i forcefully turned off the computer and this BSOD started coming and with the same thing, But by reading your article I just remembered that My Laptop had two HD Modes, "AHCI" and "IDE" since I installed XP with IDE setting and there was no Hard Disk Driver for AHCI installed the error started coming. I guess some-how my turning off the laptop (Acer Extensa 5220) set the Bios settings back to "factory-settings" God just inspired me that this might have happend, I turned it back to IDE and I am all OK now :D kOOoL.

thanks all, I post this as help that some-one might find it useful.

dilk- Dec 18, 2012 04:46PM
Thanks man a lot, it helped me. Cheers mate.
Answer
+4
moins plus
you will first boot form win 98 bootebel cd . then you type fdisk . then you change set active.. & machine reboot . then you start win xp set up cd ...

Answer
+4
moins plus
If you have problems (listed above) it is posible (very) that your HD disk have some bad sectors , you can not fix this. Option is to instal another one windows on the same HD (DO NOT FORMAT DRIVE) just instal another (or the same) version of windows, then vhen you start your computer you will have an option to start several (two or more) windows chose the new one (the one that you just instal) and when it starts you will be able to acces your files (stored on HD). Burn those files on a cd or dvd (or copy them on flash), and buy your selfe a new HD
(because bad sectors you can not fix, you can only for a some period of time, avoid them or block them, but aventually they spread and that is the end).

Idea is from people who use several (diferent or the same) ops on the same machine
(and I do that for some time in the past very very long time ago...)

P.S.
Sorry for my bad english, hope everybody understand this (and hope I help somebody).

Answer
+4
moins plus
well,, i just got two ways to get out of this...if u can get in on safe mode only, then u only need too kill some of the programs services on startup and just leave the basic ones.....to do this go to RUN and type in(msconfig) a window will pop-up and click on ( startup) and uncheck
the services from any program that you installed or doesn't belong to the system,,,,aply n reboot...
the other solution would be make a secoun partition and install window, Linux or solari( I have all 3 on my laptop..single harddrive..hahaha) and don't worry about loss ur data... u can get it back with an recovery software,,,,if u need sourses to get an OS or a recovery thing just let me know,,,,ohhh by the way windows7 and blackwindows are free n better than vista,,,

Answer
+4
moins plus
all these answers to the probblem which one is right ie blue screen

Answer
+3
moins plus
sorry for hi-jacking this, but i had the same problem as you and i installed xp on a new hard drive and used the old one as a slave just like you did, however i am now having the same problem on m new hard drive ! i cant think of anything that could be causing it! have i completely lost both of my hard drives?? they were quite expensive =(

Answer
+3
moins plus
Did you connect to internet using wireless? did you have wireless network adapter connect to your machine? such as linksys? I have the same problem too, and i think it cause by the wireless. When i unplug my linksys, everything normal. But when i plug my linksys, and reboot my PC, i cant even enter my windows, it will always blue screen.
Let me know if you also have, if yes, then my conclusion is correct

kyle- Dec 7, 2008 01:41AM
hey ya to the last post, my brother just got a new router or something, and i have wireless on my computer, and i am having this problem, i will urn that off and see if that works.
wannabe- Mar 12, 2010 05:02PM
I found your post and am having same problem - using wireless with Linksys - running XP on desktop and using a Mac laptop. Laptop was loading slowly so unplugged router - plugged back in and did a restart on desktop and received message - laptop is fine but error message on blue screen same as you had - restarted desktop and same message. The blue screen has been on for several hours, hasn't shut down while I research what to do. Can you help? thanks
Answer
+3
moins plus
if your hard disk have error and bad sector then show blue scree.

It would happend unlegan shutdown.

Firstly you removed your hard disk from your PC then it setup another PC . After you can do :click your HDD Propertise- Tools- Error cheking - chick now then start.
it is a norman solution . But fixed solution is low level formet with various utility.

ok good luck

Answer
+3
moins plus
Antivirus 2009, malware bug, is eating all our systems...

Answer
+3
moins plus
mate,

find a working hard drive and slave your current hard drive to the working drive.

and find a getdata back software, it will help you recover your documents, it work on my end...

if it does not work..

Get one working computer remove the harddrive and use your harddrive on it.. try to repair your harddrive by reinstalling winxp sp2. sometimes the components might cause blue screen when you boot the pc..

this will work..

ta

colticz

1 2 Next
This document entitled « XP startup prob: blue screen, reboot, repeat » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.