Ask a question Report

Control keys not working on laptop [Solved/Closed]

dora - Latest answer on Jan 3, 2013 12:34PM
Hello,
I have windows vista home premium as OS in laptop and recently control keys have stopped working all of a sudden. Both the keys are not working. I removed the sticky keys....shortcut keys....but nothing is working...please help...
thanks
dora
Read more 
Answer
+507
moins plus
press alt+ctrl+fn
fixed!

Tonya- Jul 18, 2010 08:54AM
Thank u so much!!
CJO- Jul 19, 2010 07:50PM
Wow you are awesome! I've been googling forever to find out how to make my volume and brightness bars display again, and your answer worked like a charm! Thanks!!
as- Nov 26, 2012 06:49AM
does not work
BillyBrinks- Dec 8, 2012 05:02PM
You saved this man's life.
Hamza- Jan 3, 2013 12:34PM
hahaha...it was such an easy task to do....and we didnt know it
Answer
+80
moins plus
I just encountered this for the first time. CTRL+C & CTRL+V would not copy and paste. I could see one burning out or something, but both control keys are not working. Tried a reboot and it didn't help.

I have a ps2 mouse and keyboard, both plugged into a USB adapter. Just unplugged the USB adapter and replugged it in and the keys work normal again. Seems odd that resetting the USB connection resolved it and a restart would not have fixed it, but at least it was a simple fix. Hope that helps someone else.

Answer
+34
moins plus
You may have already assigned these as hotkeys for another program like Skype. You may be experiencing this when both programs are running.

Answer
+31
moins plus
I have the same problem with windows XP (Dell laptop). Suddenly the Ctrl key started to be ignored. Please help me! can't do Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+F4 :(

Regards

januszartur- Jan 9, 2009 03:29AM
I got many problems with ctrl and function till I remove hkcmd.exe from startup using msconfig programm.
START ->> RUN
type msconfig
ENTER
go to fold STARTUP / AUTORUN
uncheck hkcmd
APPLY, CLOSE
Restart.
Should be ok. If not back to the settings you had.
nqhuy.mr- May 17, 2009 04:12PM
My Sony VaiO laptop suddenly hardly to use 3 buttons R, Y and U
It's still work but so slow and have to put 4-5 times.
Sometimes it's disappear when I restore my windows some previous days ago, but happen again after half an hour working.
I dont know why? might be virus or some function conflict together.
I saw in Task Manager a command wscntfy.exe (around 2Mb) when I kill it, the keyboard problem disappear. but it process appear again automatically. I don't know where is process from?
RYU problem really annoy me because I have to access my laptop by password everyday, please help me.
Thanks in advances

could you send your advice via my email: nqhuy.mr@gmail.com
saeed januszartur - Aug 4, 2009 02:14PM
where is khcmd?,i didnt find an item to unchek,in my start up at msconfig??????
ss- May 22, 2009 02:57PM
I have the same problem as you. control key not working and I have dell XPS M1330. how did you solve the problem?
S
cumburs- Jul 21, 2010 06:15AM
yeehaaa. ? finally found here and read your suggestion and the problem solved. Thank you so much..
Answer
+16
moins plus
I got this problem in Word, in MS Office 2007 on newly installed Windows 7 (on a new Lenovo X200 laptop). The reason was a keyboard switch with a certain key sequence. See the tiny language icon at the bottom right corner of the screen? It got switched from standard English US keyboard to English multilingual (also had a French keyboard option). I went and removed all English keyboards except US. No more CTRL key problems.

speechlesss_- Jun 14, 2010 03:04AM
thank u that helpt....strange how that happened though...
Answer
+11
moins plus
Ctrlkey on my laptop HP6910 (WinXP) doesn't work from the left side, but it works from the right. In BIOS restored to factory default and it's resolved issue.

Answer
+10
moins plus
i think you have installed windows updates, bacause of these updatessome functions stops working. similar case was there with me. then i restore my system and everything was normal

Answer
+9
moins plus
I found very easy way to get rid of the side affects, it normally comes in when you have your laptop on for long periods of inactivity, just load back control panel and it should resolve the issue.

Peace

Knaan.

Answer
+7
moins plus
Hi Everybody,
I have given the laptop to the service centre and they have replaced the keyboard and everything is fine....for desktop it's rather much easy to check with new keyboard.

Thanks
Dora

Col SC Sood (Retd)- Oct 17, 2012 07:50PM
I was using old keyboard. Replacing with a new USB keyboard solved the problem on my AMD FX-4100 Desktop.
Answer
+7
moins plus
I bought a brand new dell a few weeks ago, and the control key randomly is hot so that when I press t in the internet browser for example it opens a new tab. It is really frustrating especially when it deletes things or exits from things.

Dell sent me a new keyboard, and I switched it and thought all of my problems would go away, but it still does the same thing. I am probably going to send the computer back to dell, but any ideas as to how to fix it?

Molly

Pixie- Jun 30, 2010 09:00PM
My brand new dell studio is that way...but it's a different broken key every day. I have to slam down on the key to make it work, but the others work fine. then another day, it will be a DIFFERENT letter!
This document entitled « control keys not working on laptop » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.