Pc logs on then off again

Solved/Closed
rolla Posts 4 Registration date Thursday October 2, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 4, 2008 - Oct 3, 2008 at 07:21 AM
 Saifi - May 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Hello, my pc keeps saving all the settings then goes back to the log on screen when I try to turn it on,my desk top appears but no icons then the pc says saving all settings then goes back to log in screen,ive tried it in safe mode but does the same ..any help out there please
cheers rolla

32 responses

Google Log in log off problem + thinking in pixels.
It's an entire step by step website devoted to this problem. worked fantastically for me. you get person to person help there.
I found website but it doesn't tell me anything. I don't see any type of step by step guide at all. It shows me the problem then goes to the comments. Someone please help I have very importatnt documents on my computer. I can't log in at all not even in safe mode.
Garden Furniture
Apr 11, 2010 at 06:04 AM
OK

<a href="http://www.cupargardencentre.co.uk">Garden Furniture</a>
I'm doing the EXPAND E:\userinit.ex_ c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 but it either gives me an error that theres no CD in the drive OR says Windows Canno Find The File or Directory Specified
You can easily get past the desktop problem by opening the task manager - Crtl -Alt - Delete. Then select New Task and open the folder containing program files and select a program that will repair your registry. If you haven't got one then open Internet Explorer and find one.
In most cases where replacing the userinit.exe does not work the reason is quite simple: You fooled around with your hard disk, changed the disk and/or controller. Now when you start Windows, just as you log in the operating system assigns its drive letters. However, due to a changed disk or controller, the drive letters don't get assigned correctly. They may look right in the recovery console, but standard Windows (as well as Safe Mode) is a different story.
Now you can replace userinit.exe as often as you want, it won't help, because the file is not broken or corrupt, and not infected either. Windows just can't find it, because it's not looking for it on the right drive.

To get this fixed, edit the registry of the system that always logs you off. There are many ways to do this from another system, google for it. There, find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices , look for entries like \DosDevices\D: etc. Make sure the right drive letters are assigned there. You can do so by comparing this to the system as it was before you made the change (if you still have a backup). If you don't know for sure which letter was assigned to your system drive, you may just have to try.
Changing the entries works by right-clicking on them, selecting "rename" (in standard regedit) and changing \DosDevices\D: to \DosDevices\C:, for example.

These microsoft articles may help as well, as they explain the issue:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/backup-and-storage/restore-system-boot-drive-letter
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/249321/

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I can't thank you all enough. It was a combination of things that worked for me:

copied and expanded the init.ex_ file, but still had no luck.

I used a HawkPE boot disc to run a remote registry editor and did what was suggested:

Run REGEDIT. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Prayed and then it worked :)

Thanks so much!
how did yuo use HawkPE for this?

i want to try this way but I dont know how to use this or where to find it, I know how to burn iso's and everything though
hi, i'm having the same issues and I have an HP Pavilion so I tried to do the other options to get it from the preinstallled options and I tried to put "SET ALLOWALLPATHS = TRUE" but it comes back as "THE SET COMMAND IS CURRENTLY DISABLED. THE SET COMMAND IS AN OPTIONAL RECOVERY CONSOLE COMMAND THAT CAN ONLY BE ENABLED BY USING THE SECURITY CONFIGURATION AND ANALYSIS SNAP-IN". Also this log off problem happened after I ran my norton antivirus. I wanted to know if there's anyway I can enable the set command without the error above, I really need help with this, I don't want to lose my documents and precious pics. i'm getting the recovery disk from HP which includes the xp OS and i'm going to try to repair it but will that solve the issue? will that erase my documents and pics? I have a C: drive but most of my info is in my D: drive since it has a lot more memory. please help...thank you in advance
Dear PRbatman,

I've tried all your methods to repair the logs on then off again problem. Finally, I solved this problem by using "REPAIR INSTALL" by windows XP CD. I did follow all your steps and Now, my pc have fixed! Many Thanks for your time! If you have chance Please stop by my salon and I'll give you FREE haircut. Check it out here: ihairbook.yelp.com Thanks again!
Ok so I tried literally everything on this site. My computer still won't log on, and I know I have the Internet security 2010 virus, and I thought I got everything but the login thing, so I restarted. Since then, I've looked up all the help forums I can find, but nothing helps. Maybe my problem isn't with the userinit thing? It replaced, but nothing happened. PLEASE HELLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello Shadowz,

Your anti-virus might be blocking or deleting your userinit.exe or another of the files necessary to boot up Windows. Try to boot into Windows in SAFE MODE and then go into your antivirus' options and disable your antivirus from starting automatically with Windows. Alternatively, uninstall your antivirus software; you can reinstall it later. If that doesn't work, what I would recommend is to do a repair install of Windows XP. I explain how to do it in this thread. Good Luck.

PRBatman
Hello All, PLEASE READ THIS PART 1 MESSAGE BEFORE QUESTION!!! IT MIGHT SAVE YOUR TIME AND PRBATMAN'S TIME TOO :-)

I'm going to post 10 messages reply from PRbatman here and wanna save each others(like a new questioner) time here.

My pc got a logs in and logs on problems 2 days ago. I READ THIS FORUM EACH MESSAGE FROM PRBATMAN VERY CAREFULLY. I ALSO SPENT 3 HOURS ALMOST TO FIX MY PC, I HAD TIRED MANY WAYS BUT IT DIDN'T WORK OUT! FINALLY, I TRIED THE "REPAIR INSTALL" BY WINDOWS XP CD(JUST FOLLOW PRBATMAN STEPS) THEN I FIXED AND NO MORE LOGS IN AND LOGS ON PROBLEM. HIGHLY THANKS PRBATMAN HERE AND I SAVE SOME MONEY ON THAT (NO NEED TO FIND FRIENDS OR PC FIXER IN LOCAL AREA FOR HELP)

Stummped:

A trojan like the non-destructive but infamous W32.Virut.## (the ## is for the version or mutation) is estimated to have infected up to 30% of the PC's in the world and half of the people don't even know it. My Grisoft AVG antivirus didn't even see it when I got infected with it last February. This trojan will infect all of the .exe and .scr files in your computer faster than a common cold in a day care center. So even if you place a fresh copy of any .exe from a CD back into your hard disk, IT WILL GET INFECTED AGAIN. When the .exe's get infected they place a rootkit inside NTDLL.DLL to modify its coding to take control of all the network section of your computer and make it dial some bogus servers owned by the creator of the virus somewhere in China. That way the hacker will zombify your computer and take control over it and theoretically have access to all the information stored inside.

I recommend you download and install the best free Anti-virus software out there that effectively detects W32.Virut.## and every virus and trojan out there: Avira AntiVir; goto www.free-av.com. Goto options first, pick to use smart detection, set heuristics to medium or high, pick to run all the recommended extensions, all recommended disk areas, compressed files, etc. Put in the Automatic test to quarantine. This will remove the infected files but will give you the option to put any back where it belongs in case is an important file for Windows to work. Also run the RootKit finder test.

It is not recommended to run Avira Antivir from the infected hard disk nor from your computer so you don't get infected also. Instead, you should make a Universal Boot CD for Windows XP (you didn't mention if your friend has Windows XP, but I'm assuming it is since you landed in this thread) and include the Avira Antivir when you burn the disk. Another choice would be to boot the UBCD for Windows XP and then run the Avira Antivir from a pen drive. The idea is to isolate the hard disk so the infection doesn't keep spreading. The hard drive becomes sort of a slave drive. After you run Avira for the whole drive, turn off the computer totally for 10 seconds, including turning the power supply switch off on the back or unplugging it from the wall. Some trojans are known to reside in memory and survive a reboot and even survive more than 5 seconds after turning off the computer (I know, it sounds like a science fiction/SkyNet sort of thing, lol). After that, boot in to UBCD again and do a second scan again of all the hard disk to make sure it is totally clean.

After this, you can try to extract again from the Windows XP CD userinit.ex_, svchost.ex_, explorer.ex_, winlogon.ex_, spoolsv.ex_ all to C:\Windows\System32>; if you get access denied enter: SET AllowAllPaths = TRUE at the prompt. (leave a space before and after the equal sign). Try to see if you can log in to Windows XP again. If you can't, then I recommend to do a repair install. Boot with the Windows XP CD, then don't enter the repair console. Press to install Windows, then press F8 to accept the EULA and then the #1 option should be to repair the current detected windows installation. Hopefully that should fix and replace most of the files that were deleted by the antivirus. That will not change any shortcuts or alter any of the programs installed in your friend's disk. But copy or expand the files I mentioned before anyhow prior to doing the repair installation because sometimes they dont get copied back into the disk automatically.

Hope this info works and you can get that computer going again. Good luck.

PRBatman
pc Won't accept my password!!!!!!!!
i have the same problem but I dont have the windows to do that with please helpp mee! my dad will kill me if I dont get it fixed!!!!!!
Download ERD Commander, burn it, boot to it, and follow instruction number 1.

1:
Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe appropriately if Windows is installed in a different drive.

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

If the issue persists, download recovery console (http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso burn it, boot to it, and follow the instructions below.

2:
Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Enjoy
admiral > cadavra
Feb 21, 2009 at 05:09 PM
Can I reinstall windows XP and still save my data.
If not haow can I do it?
pioneer > admiral
Feb 24, 2009 at 04:53 AM
In fact the only way to instal windows without loosing your data is not recommended bu microsoft itself that is by instal afresh(new) vesion of windows in another drive or in a new folder in the same drive containing old windows so you should choose not to format the drive(keep current)
crage > pioneer
Feb 25, 2009 at 11:01 AM
i had the same issue on a client's pc (windows xp pro)
read this and a microsoft thread
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/user-profiles-and-logon/cannot-log-on-windows

i ended up accessing their hdd using a usb adapter on my machine (also windows xp pro) and replacing the userinit.exe in c:\windows\system32 (actually mine wasnt a replace it was an add because the userinit.exe was missing)
you can expand from the xp disk if you have it and use it to boot to recovery console but for reasons unknown this method was not letting me expand the file

anyways after I added the file in a put the hdd back in their pc and it booted to windows first try and had no other (related) issues
whobdis > cadavra
Mar 14, 2009 at 07:43 AM
Thanks a bunch for the help..I've been on so many sites looking for help
it's ridiculous. My registry was ok but it pointed me in the right direction.
My userinit was gone (virus). Copied one from my laptop and it works.
The ER Commander is valuable.
Hi I agree that the only way to fix this is to format and reinstall. If possible save your data using another pc. As far as your hard drive renaming itself to d: more than likely you have a smartcard device or media reader that takes a drive letter. It is best to uninstall these devices and other hard drives before you format and install xp / vista. The installer for xp has a tendancy to put volume information on both hard drives, and may choose odd drive letters for the main drive when these guys are present.

Good day
when I go to reinstall windows xp it says could not find hard disk driver(or some thing like that) I need help thx
Victor Valentine
Apr 12, 2009 at 01:16 AM
i DONT AGREE WITH MR ANTIVIRUS

(: SORRY tHAT'S JUST NOT TRUE"