How do I install a TCP/IP protocol.

Closed
boomx - Sep 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM
 Abrishet - Dec 27, 2008 at 10:36 AM
Hello,
I have a dell optiplex g260 and a gateway both running a windows xp pro operating system. Both computers says that we need a TCP/IP protocol installed. if we click install, it says that they can not find what is needed to install the protocol and tryies to get us to check for it manually and I dont know where to look. Also the computers have cat 5 cables connecting them but the ports arent lit up, it says unplugged. I do not have internet on those computers so will I need a router or how can I fix this problem without buying a hub?
Related:

3 responses

i tried to do that but it would not install bcuz it said that it could not find the driver. Where do
I go from there?
GeorgeRattel Posts 67 Registration date Monday September 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 15, 2013 11
Oct 3, 2008 at 07:39 AM
well you should have a cd or a disk for your network card cause it's very important
if you didn't go to https://www.gettoggle.com/ then click at drivers then write the name of your network card in the textbox in the web to serach for it I hope you find it and if you didn't give me its name maybe I could find it for you anyways
if you found it or have it
right mouse click on my computer then properties> the hardware tab>device manager then search for the network device it won't be identified click on it then right click >update
then then choose the second radio button click next>then browse for the location of the file in the cd or disk then next> wait as it updates then finish restart>do what I told you in the past message !!!

good luck !!!
'poste back and tell me what happens !!!
GeorgeRattel Posts 67 Registration date Monday September 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 15, 2013 11
Oct 2, 2008 at 02:32 PM
well it's very simple go to my network places then show all connections then
double click on the connection you want to use then propeties>go to the bottom of the list you'll find there tcp/ip protocol
now if you have the ips add them by clicking double click on tcp/ip
but if you don't have the tcp/ip click on the install button next to the properties button then on tcp/ip protocol then install it
if you need more help or a prob has occured then just
reply Good luck !!!
The same case was happened to me. I have dell inspiron 6400. The had faced this problem after I format the laptop. The message ( Install tcp/ip driver...) was produced b/c of lack of network card driver. After I install it, the laptop works fine. So the might be true. Check the network card drive. If it is not installed, install it and then try. Good luck. Abrishet from Addis