Ask a question Report

Laptop will not turn on. [Solved/Closed]

Pat - Latest answer on Oct 14, 2012 05:11PM
Hello,
Please help! My laptop will not turn on.
Read more 
Answer
+1023
moins plus
OK.....TRY TAKING OUT ANY CORDS AND TAKE OUT THE BATTERY AND HOLD THE POWER BUTTON FOR DOWN for 30 SECONDS THEN PUT THE CORD BACK IN AND TRY TO TURN IT ON THEN PUT BATTERY BACK IN.

spirit- May 2, 2011 07:29PM
I know this sounds crazy....but. it really worked....ways the secret behind this ?????.Jus curious to know....
Thanks.
yo- Oct 6, 2012 09:14PM
You actually don't need to hold the power button but a sec or 2 to make sure the power is drained from the circuit. Biggest thing is taking out the battery.
deshaun- Oct 10, 2012 07:25PM
Dude i dont no how this really worked i thought it was BS But I Got My Laptop Runnin Now Thanks
PI09- Oct 12, 2012 11:02PM
WOW. My husband is already pissed off cuz he can't fix his laptop and thought it's broken, then I read your post and it worked!!!! He now thinks I'm computer expert!! LOL
Dejv- Oct 14, 2012 05:11PM
This sounds like Mambo Jumbo but it really worked, thank's a lot!!!!!!
Answer
+269
moins plus
Hi there I got a problem,I have a HP Pavillion dv6700 laptop and the power cord is pluged in and the blue light is on,but when I hit the power button to turn it on the lap top doesn't do anything and doesn't come on.

Answer
+90
moins plus
OMG!!!!! I just flipped my car upsidedown and its now running!
My wife is over my head at the moment and shes about to be turned on...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer
+51
moins plus
I have the same problem, did you figure out what the problem is and solution by any chance? i purchased it recently, it started doing this the night after i left it on for the night. next day everytime i turn on, it turns off in 2 sec. after a month i tried a shot, it started and stayed up for 1 min may be... then same thing again 2 sec. i guess i have to wait for a year to turn it on :) :)

Mayosoftware- Dec 6, 2009 10:21AM
When the laptop will not turn on, it is generally the ribbon connector that goes into the motherboard.

These black 12 connector cables are weak and usually breaks after the machine is opened for repair- a substitute cable that is a little better can be taken from a GATEWAY MA2,3,7 touchpad. It is the same pitch, connectors and length though made slightly better.

The Laptop Doctor
Charlotte, NC
Dang- Jan 11, 2009 06:34PM
Hey man i think the problem is with your power supply..
its not giving enough power for da pc to run...
tdogg- Feb 27, 2010 02:14PM
Thanks!!! That strategy worked great!!
TERRI- Apr 14, 2010 11:31PM
OMG IT TOTALLY WORKED!! I THOUGHT MY LAPTOP WAS DEAD FOREVER, IT TOOK JUST A FEW SECONDS? THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! :))
kanini- May 10, 2010 12:40AM
it didn't worked re!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
Answer
+43
moins plus
Thanks man , i took my friends laptop to fix the problem , one morning i found this idea on iternet, i fallowed this trick it worked fine.

Answer
+35
moins plus
I tried the 'hold the the wife upside down' trick and it worked for me!! You have to shake her at the same time for 30 seconds.

Answer
+23
moins plus
This is the second time that my laptop won't turn on, i can see that there's light on the power button but nothing is happening, i can't here the fan rotating, lcd is completely black ...

i hope holding it upsidedown for 30 secs will work ...

*guys from HP sez its a common problem for the new HP COMPAQ laptop ...geeze T_T

Answer
+18
moins plus
Im having the same problem with a HP laptop here
When i plug the power connector there is a blue light right there on the connector,.. but none of the lights of battery charging or power are turning on

Tried upside down tip, is not working for me

What can i try now?

susiesu- May 6, 2009 01:53PM
I have this problem as well with my hp laptop, have you found a solution yet?
Pat- Jul 29, 2009 09:54PM
Hey Did you try reseating RAM, Hard Drive? Were you able to repair your laptop? My laptop is showing the same problem .. can you please advise? I have blue light which shows adapter is OK .. but the charging light on laptop is off and the laptop wont turn on either.
riji- Aug 24, 2009 04:53AM
hi pat, am having the same problem. did u find any solution for this. is it some prblm with the motherboard? if you fixed this problem pls let me know
creepy Pat - Nov 21, 2009 11:29AM
Hi there,

My laptop is showing the same problem, I have blue light which shows adapter is OK but laptop won't turn on,
can you please advise? my laptop is medion 96400.
Thanks.
Answer
+17
moins plus
OK, i have the same problem with Toshiba Satellite. The laptop lights would go on, then you hear the fan and the CD drive running for 2 seconds then it dies. I found the solution to this problem in other forums and feel that i have to share it with everyone.

Solution:

1.Unplug AC and remove battery.
2. Hold power button for 1 minute (some claim holding it upside down helps..dont ask me why)
3. Leave laptop for 1 minute
4. Insert battery back into laptop and plug in AC.
5. Turn on

It took me several times before i finally get it to work. Make sure the battery is charged before doing this.

I was so happy when this worked for me. I was so frustrated. I just have to share this with everyone else.

BrandonM- Jun 23, 2010 10:00PM
I am totally stunned, but it worked!
help- Apr 30, 2011 02:19PM
mine hasnt worked. ffs
Answer
+11
moins plus
If it is a Power Button problem, then you might be able to use the QuickPlay Button as a substitute. The problem most likely is a ZIF cable that connects the motherboard to the power button. That cable controls sound too. You can either order a new cable....they are hard to find at the moment. Or you can swap the cable that controls the touch buttons. The cable is a ribbon cable, which weakens from pressing the power button due to flexing.

DP- Jan 21, 2009 09:34PM
I had similar problem where i have to wiggle the power cord to connects to my HP laptop for it to start charging (solid blue light). I opened up my laptop (actually to replace heat sink fan ) and found that the connector is soldered on small pcb. The probem appeared that connetor cannot withstand day to day handling of power cable in and out and is going to comeoff from its connection with pcb.
Difficult part for me was to resolder the connector as I don't want to mess up other connection nearby on the PCB. I am looking for a technician who knows hp laptops can do better job.
Answer
+9
moins plus
Hi!
I have a sony vaio (NR260E) laptop bought some time during june 2008. It is a factory refurbished laptop bought from Japan. The warranty period has been expired. Now I'm in india. Untill yesterday my laptop was running perfect. And I did a normal shutdown too. But when I tried to power on the laptop later the screen was was not displaying anthing. (Black screen)I don't know what to do. But can anyone suggest the solution. Is there anything related to motherboard. The power button in my laptop is showing on so it can not be the problem with power cable. Please help.

Thanks in advance
H. Kumar

aneesnv- Jul 25, 2009 01:01PM
If Ur power adapter is giving the right voltage and amp then try to Put your laptop in a refrigerator ,freezer part of Ur refrigerator about 1hr with a plastic cover (to protect from food leakage……… …..don’t laugh it’s scientifically proven refer Elektor electronics magazine (2009 issue) and I am experienced it
Its applicable to any SMT (Surface Mounted Technology) used circuit boards
manny the tech.- Apr 8, 2010 11:12PM
hello friend sounds like it is your inverter board is not working. the inverter board is right under the screen bezal . bottom of the screen, just take out the little rubber caps alround the screen and remove the screws, then pry open carefully the plastic bezal from the screen and right alround the middle you will see a long skinny inverter board with two little plugs on the sides. remove the two plugs and take out the inverter board and see the model number and order it and install it yourself it is very simple to install.the inverter board is what lights up your screen.good luck!
Answer
+9
moins plus
Well, seemed to do the trick for now... So it isn't the cable after all!

Don't see how holding it upside down helps though. ;-)

Cheers!

Answer
+9
moins plus
What the hell...Just happened...

HOW DOES TURNING THE LAPTOP UPSIDE DOWN WITH NOTHING IN IT FIX THAT?! I laughed at it at first, because it sounds like a joke. But wow.

Kudos to you, atasuki; you saved me hundreds. I really, REALLY want to know why that works. I cannot thank you enough.

Answer
+8
moins plus
In working with computers for over 20 years, this "hold the laptop upside down and press the power button" stuff makes no sense to me.....but it worked for me! Why is this? And thanks so much for helping us out. We had tried two batteries and different AC adapters. Just about to pitch the laptop when our search found you. Thanks again.

Answer
+8
moins plus
1) TRY TAKING OUT ANY CORDS
2) TAKE OUT THE BATTERY AND HOLD THE LABTOP UPSIDE DOW 3) HOLD THE POWER BUTTEN FOR 30 SECONDS
4) THEN TURN IT RIGHT SIDE UP AND PUT THE CORD BACK IN TRY TO TURN IT ON 5) THEN PUT BATTERY BACK IN

Answer
+7
moins plus
Toshiba Satellite A135-S2246.

Plugging it in, the power light comes on, but no battery-charge light.

Power button completely unresponsive.

Tried the solution here- remove battery and power, hold power button for 30 seconds, replace battery, turn on.

Worked like a charm, and my heart attack is aborted!

sickfreak- Jun 16, 2010 03:25AM
true story: i had the exact same problem: power on, LEDs blink, 2-5 secs, turn off. sometimes the LEDs just flicker constantly especially with power cord in. left in "on" (flickering). went to this forum using another laptop. after reading the upside-down thing, decided to try it. no harm in trying. when i went back to my other laptop, it's already powered on! stupidfreaks!!!

coincidence probly, but if its the connector, let us know if anyone has done this connector fix.
acer 4520 (acer sucks)
bonnie- Jun 19, 2010 12:26PM
I have a dell inspiron and have the Toshiba Satellite, he laptop lights would go on, then you hear the fan and the CD drive running for 2 seconds then it dies.. tried the above method over and over but no joy.... please help
bonnie- Jun 19, 2010 12:32PM
I have a dell inspiron and have the same problem as the Toshiba Satellite, the laptop lights would go on, then you hear the fan and the CD drive running for 2 seconds then it dies.. tried the above method over and over but no joy.... please help
help- Apr 30, 2011 02:27PM
i have the toshiba satellite too and it wont work what did you do?
vin- Apr 30, 2011 04:13PM
I have a DEll Vostro 1500 and it is not booting. when i start my laptop it starts and wont go to operating system it just blinks on the top left corner
Answer
+7
moins plus
Found this on the first page...{OK.....TRY TAKING OUT ANY CORDS AND TAKE OUT THE BATTERY AND HOLD THE LABTOP UPSIDE DOWN AND HOLD THE POWER BUTTEN FOR 30 SECONDS THEN TURN IT RIGHT SIDE UP AND PUT THE CORD BACK IN TRY TO TURN IT ON THEN PUT BATTERY BACK IN}

I just replaced the Power connector for a Sony VAIO that had broken. After 2 1/2 hours of careful removal of EVERY piece on this Laptop including the Motherboard and disconnecting all the TINY ribbon cables, i was able to replace the power connector.

I then re-installed EVERY piece I removed. I plugged in the power cord with the battery installed and the Battery light just flashed rapidly. When I press the power button, the green power light was on with the button pushed but off when I released it. OK long story short. Instead of dismantlement the laptop again, I tried the above solution. IT WORKED!!! I don't know how or why it worked but it did. I was able to get the laptop to power up without the battery in place. Now I think that the problem is a bad battery. The laptop won't recognize that the battery is plugged-in.

Answer
+6
moins plus
Hi Akatsuki,

Just wanted to write and say THANK YOU!! My HP laptop was not turning on. I took it to the Geek Squad here in the US (at the chain store at Best Buy) and they told me the motherboard was fried, and to buy a new laptop. Instead, I came home, checked this website, saw your message, and tried your advice - and it worked! Thanks so much for your help - my laptop was driving me crazy!!

Answer
+5
moins plus
but this wonyt work

Answer
+4
moins plus
Keep your computer running like new.
Have you been searching for a great antispyware to keep your computer running like new? If so, you will be happy to know that there are some great options out there. I have tried many different types of antispyware only to find that the majority of them find the exact same types of bugs. The biggest difference that you will find between all the different types of antispyware offered is the price. Search-and-destroy Antispyware is an excellent choice that can be purchased at a lower price than many of the other options available. If you are interested in discovering the benefits offered from antispyware solution from Search-and-destroy visit http://www.Search-and-destroy.com/antispyware.html to learn more.

1 2 3 4 5 Next
This document entitled « Laptop will not turn on. » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.