Gateway T-series Model W350I

Solved/Closed
rrjna - Feb 3, 2010 at 04:25 PM
rjna Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday February 2, 2010 Status Member Last seen February 4, 2010 - Feb 4, 2010 at 04:43 PM
Hello,
The laptop will not boot - kids spilled a drink - they were quick enough to wipe off and turn over. After a few hours they used a can of air to further dry, then turned back over. After 3 days, I plugged in and tryed to turn on, would not work (has a new battery) - I tried removing power and battery, holding the off key for 30 re-set thing and that did not work. It does not feel like the power button is working, almost like it is stuck off!

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,830
Feb 3, 2010 at 04:34 PM
The sugar in a soft drink conducts electricity very well - shorting out the motherboard and or switches. It probably needs professional help to clean it out.

Good Luck
rjna Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday February 2, 2010 Status Member Last seen February 4, 2010
Feb 3, 2010 at 04:44 PM
They said it shut down immediately. When I arrived home a few hours later, I took off the bottom covers and everything was dry. When the power is plugged in, the blue light indicating the battery is fully charged is on....

Do I go out and buy a docking station to retrieve the data on the hard drive?

Thx for your help
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,830
Feb 3, 2010 at 04:56 PM
That's a good option. You must determine whether the hard drive is an IDE (also called Parallel ATA) or SATA (serial ATA) drive. Since they have different interfaces and most USB external hard drive enclosures are made for on or the other. The hard drive can normally be removed by removing a screw or two and slideing it out of the case. Be careful to NOT touch the connectors of the circuit board. You might find that there is a small adapter plug between the drive pins and the laptop. It needs to be removed so that you can plug the drive directly into the new drive enclosure.

Good Luck
rjna Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday February 2, 2010 Status Member Last seen February 4, 2010
Feb 4, 2010 at 04:43 PM
Thanx - I bought a external drive enclosure and was able to access the data stored.