Unable to open any programs in Windows XP

Solved/Closed
Ravi - Sep 20, 2008 at 10:36 PM
nhow Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday June 21, 2017 Status Member Last seen June 21, 2017 - Jun 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM
Hello,

I have been troubled by this error. I am unable to open any programs in my machine. I have XP as the OS. Please help. When I click on any shortcut on the desktop nothing happens. Not able to open any of the files. When I right click, then give open with It opens. I am not able to open even the Regedit. :(

Regards,
Ravi
Related:

9 responses

Go To http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
Then in the next list that appears, click EXE File Association Fix

Good Luck Peace out
Couldn't Ask for more.

Spot on.

Briliant Website.
You are life saver.

thank you
thank you
thank you very much
Awesome! I searched for an hour yesterday trying to fix this problem. Everything provided for repairing was an .exe file which was my problem. nothing would run that had an .exe extension. Easy and happened automagically.
Thanks for posting the link dougknox!
Yes thank you so much this link helped me so much. : D
thank you so much!
Download the dougknox registry fix for file association. http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip
Thanks!! You just made my day!
thank you. it worked!!!you're the man
Doug is the man!
Happy ,you have made me!!! Work ,it did!!!!!!!
I really thank everyone here and especially you. You have saved my life and my computer. I had the same problem. Malware got in and I had to reboot/F8 and run scan there. And after the reboot I lost every program. Could not open any thing. This link does fix the issues thanks much.
Same used - http://www.dougknox.com
Then click - 'Win XP Fixes'
Then click - 'File Association Fixes'
Then - 'EXE File Association Fix'
And run the program
Select 'xp_exe_fix.reg'
Registry Editor window should appear and select 'YES'
ALL DONE :)

All my programs worked after e.g control panel, user accounts EVERYTHING. dont get it saying 'Open with...' when you click on a file nor that rundll application not found, perfect fix.

But dont fall for the scam of purchasing XP 2010 Malware ifso call your credit card company and get them to freeze all payments because of SCAM!
I experienced the same problem. You need to right click your program or link and choose "Run as". In the dialog, uncheck "Protect...". Say ok and now everyhting will work.
I did the same but its still now working. I unchecked the box which says "Protect ...

but the programs are still not opening...please help..
Thank you dear friend........your advise made me happy to resolve the problem
Thanks so much, that worked for me!
Hi,
i had the same problem in my PC. I apply your suggestion, it works. but everytime I have to right click on particular program, go to Run as & uncheck "Protect...." is there any way that I dont need to change it?
my god this was the best and yet simple answer to my problems..i sincerely thank you

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
This problem can be caused by multiple things. My computer stopped being able to run exe files on a single power user account - the other accounts were fine.

My problems came from a website which popped up a version of Safe PC Guard or whatever, it is a malicious software which pretends to be an anti-virus check.

If you press the ok or close button it invisibly installs itself, keeps you from opening control panel items, task manager, or any anti virus software. It is strange to get rid of and I have gotten it on my Pc way too many times.

This was the first time that particular maleware bs actually messed with my exe file extensions and stuff. Usually it just screws my system in other ways. This time was different because I finally recognized that the 'X' (or close button) on the malicious software actually functions as an install, so to press any buttons will hose your system.

I opened task manager immediately and closed Firefox, which the software hijacks temporarily to make a fake anti-virus scan window. If you kill the Firefox process, The malicious PC Guard dies right away. For some reasons, that time it also messed up my EXE file extensions, I couldn't run anything.

FYI - the doug knox Windows XP fix also works for Vista. Since applying it, every time the malicious fake-virus check program pops up I kill Firefox and it dies without installing - there have been no EXE file extension problems since I used the doug knox fix, honestly, that site helped me a lot.

Does anyone know 1) why and how the exe extensions get changed in this problematic way and 2) how the hell can I keep Safe PC Guard, or whatever it calls itself on any given hack day, far far away from system? I use many virus protect programs, and none of them seem able to catch this damn thing in the act.

3) Why is it that when the PC Guard hacks my system and I go into my user/appdata/local/ and local/temp folders and delete the damn randomly named EXEs that keep that thing running, NO virus or utility program anywhere seems to recognize them as damaging! I have tried Norton, mcafee, kaspersy, avast, avgfree, and many others. I even used that website that lets you upload programs to check them with 50+ male-ware virus checkers. NONE of the many, many exes that cause PC Guard to hack a system get caught by protection software. Why why why?
I had a similar problem. I use Windows XP Professional. What I noticed that the computer is not responding sometimes to any of the programms or gets hanged half way. If you notice you will find that it is responding after a long wait. To fix this issue, you can do the following :
Please log in with safe mode (should have administrator privilage). Press F5 while booting which takes you to choose "Safe mode". It will give you warning that some of your applications may not be able to open/operate ... etc. It is OK. You may even find all icons are huge than your settings. Its OK.
Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.System Restore starts.
Welcome to System Restore page opens, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if not already selected). Click Next.
Rest of the activities are clearly specified, go on with the instructions. You may choose a Restore Point (a date your computer was in good health) and go on as per the instructions. Once this is over, computer automatically restarts and you have DONE.

Note : your system restore facility is not activated earlier in your computer, this may not work.
i recently got sum internet security malware/spyware shit, n this is wot I did, disable system restore. restart in safe mode. scan with as much anti v software u can, I think combo fix and spybot search and destry did it for me.
also if u always get OPEN WITH after u click on a program
click start.
run.
type in "services.msc"
and look for the service called "messenger"
right click, properties, change the settings so its on automatic, and runs by itself, apply.
right click it again, and start the service....
that fixed it for me anyway....
peace out :)
Dell that worked perfectly... THANK YOU!!!!!
wow that was easy and I was about to give up and resotore my computer
any1 know the what the service name is?
what if the messenger is not listed
Thanks so much for the dougknox fix!
It is due to some kind of virus/ trojan activity which normally disables the task manager.Now due to this problem when ever the user press alt+ctrl+del to launch windows task manager it gives an error saying "Task Manager is being disabled by your administrator".

Solution:

To Enable the Disabled Task Manager on your system

1. Press window key+r to show run prompt

2. Follow the following steps

1. Enter gpedit.msc in the run prompt and click OK
2. In the Group Policy settings window
3. Select User Configuration
4. Select Administrative Templates
5. Select System
6. Select Ctrl+Alt+Delete options
7. Select Remove Task Manager
8. Double-click the Remove Task Manager option'.
9. Set the property of this item as disabled.