Inspiron 5150 wont boot

Closed
kate - Sep 20, 2008 at 09:27 PM
 Jenn - Dec 21, 2010 at 07:43 AM
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 that will not boot. When I push the power button, the green power light flashes and a black screen lights up with a blinking cursor. It wont boot any further, and shuts off immediately if the power button is pressed again. About five days prior to this problem, I had a virus on my computer and had to completely reinstall Windows and all of my programs. Not sure if this had any impact on the problem. Any suggestions for how to fix?

9 responses

Dell screen loads but then goes to a black screen with a blinking white cursor i the left corner. I am able to use the f2 and f12 options the only thing I do not see is Windows. I tried reinstalling the operating cd but still no luck. Any idea what is going on? Please help....
Hi,
I have a dell inspiron 1525, when I press the power button the dell startup starts but towards the end it slows down and will eventually turn into a black screen with a flashing line in the top left corner. I don't know what to do - when I press f2 or f12 it won't take me to any setups it just goes straight to the black screen.
please help !!
johnsteve12 Posts 17 Registration date Monday April 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2009 8
Sep 21, 2008 at 08:08 AM
Hello,

have you tried seeking the help of an it technician because this problem seems to be a bit complicated to tell you that by messages. there could be a number of reasonf for the laptop not being started. can you see the red light appearing?
I had this same issue today and I figured out what it was. I have an external hard drive connected to the laptop that normally isn't connected on boot. In the boot order the option to boot off the USB drive was set before the internal HDD. Changed that and kaboom... a beautiful thing!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Had the same thing on my 5150 desktop some time ago, lights flash but dead as a dodo.

the power supply had died

changed PSU - sorted, its been running Vista Ultimate very slowly ever since LOL

Your problem may be that simple but the other thing is the MOBO may have been damaged, you are still getting some sort of video so the CPU and RAM are probably OK. The give away is the error beeps on start up, if you don't get any its 90% certain the psu otherwise its the MOBO and RAM

One more thing to try is disconnect all the hardware except the hard drive and try a safe mode boot, that will eliminate the hardware - dvd rw, card reader etc, they can sometimes go wrong and draw ridiculous current from the PSU which prevents booting as the PSU saftey cuts in and switches it down to standby.

Jonah
if I disconnect the video card how do I know it's booting
lreyn330 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday March 31, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 2, 2009 > kendon50
Apr 2, 2009 at 03:45 PM
I call the tech and was on the phone 7 hours but they finally had to reinstall the entire operating system. It works for now. Hope it doesn't happen ever again. He nor I know what caused it. Thank you
i had the same problem but with dell inspiron 1520 i press the power button the dell logo pops up and loads then it comes to a black sscreen with a flaching white line it wont load any further i tried once pressing F2 (setup) and then pressed escape then it turned on fully. it all started becuase i needed to download some quicktime thing for ittunes then i had to rboot my computer and it never booted successfully
hi,

i have a dell inspiron 1525 , i have pretty much the same problem wen i turn it on it goes to the black screen with a flashing line , i go to setup then push escape it still doesnt work ,, could you please help me sir , thanks
Azucho98 > cory
Mar 5, 2009 at 09:18 PM
I just finished repairing an Inspiron 5150. It had the problem with the C cover leg smashing the IC below it, and also the flashing cursor problem at startup.

I was able to resolder the IC under the C panel leg to eliminate random shutdown problems.

If you have the flashing cursor, no boot problem, try removing your memory and re-seating it. If you have two DIMS, try swaping their positions and/or booting with just one DIM in slot A.

If you get the comptuer to boot, press F2 while the Dell logo is displayed on the screen to enter BIOS setup. Once there look for the option for "Intel SpeedStepping" and DISABLE it. I had to ALT-P to page 5 to find it on my 5150.

This laptop boots up every time after disabling this function. When SpeedStepping was enabled, I frequently had the no boot flashing cursor problem.

This laptop is actually running very stable after repairing the IC and disabling Intel SpeedStepping function.

Good Luck!
Mike > Azucho98
Mar 6, 2009 at 04:38 PM
I have to fix it under the c panel. Is there any youtube videos i can use or some photos for reference. Because I really don't see what I have to solder.
Azucho98 > Mike
Mar 8, 2009 at 06:12 PM
You need to solder the legs of the IC which is directly under one leg of the C panel. You have to pull back the black insulator to see it.

Do a google search for Inspiron 5150 C panel problem and you should find some photos.

Good luck. My 5150 is working as good as new :)
I have the same problem with a 1525. Been online with another puter and on phone all day with tech support. They were suppose to call me back but still no call. Did u ever get your problem fixed. If so please tell me how. Thanks, Led
jmp59 Posts 29296 Registration date Tuesday June 8, 2004 Status Contributor Last seen November 25, 2015 257
Apr 22, 2009 at 01:58 AM
HI,

Did u try a ClearCMOS ?
what is clearCMOS?
F2 .. enter boot option. Set to correct order ..... cd,hard-disc etc. 'Remove' any itemised hardware which is not featured on your machine. Exit/save.
jmp59 Posts 29296 Registration date Tuesday June 8, 2004 Status Contributor Last seen November 25, 2015 257
Sep 21, 2008 at 08:56 AM
Hello,

Try a ClearCMOS.