Linksys WRT54G and Charter

Solved/Closed
Labyrinth - Sep 11, 2008 at 06:30 PM
 johnmike69 - Apr 18, 2019 at 11:35 AM
Hi,

I've used my Linksys WRT54G wireless router with Charter cable internet for a few years. Small problems here and there but nothing a reboot/power cycle cannot solve. However since yesterday, all of a sudden I can no longer get online with the router. I can get online just fine if I connect the cable modem directly to my computer, but not through a router. The "internet" light on the router just kept blinking semi-rapidly. I've tried resetting the modem and the router numerous times but to no avail. And I didn't change any settings at all since it's been working fine for me for the past few years.

Can anyone help me? Or is it time to get a new router?

I am running Vista with Charter Cable, Motorola SB5101 cable modem (1 month old). Any help is appreciated, thanks!

27 responses

I have a WRT54G2 and was having the same problem but Cloning the MAC address and a quick reboot of everything solved the problem. Thanks for the help.
...as an update to my previous posting, sometimes (from Windows; there're similar commands available from Mac and Linux), entering (from the DOS-like command window)

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

will force the DHCP to be, not just renewed, but released and completely reconstructed.

...beats a full, power cycle...
You just fixed in 3 minutes what 3 HOURS of technical support (with both Charter AND Cisco) failed to achieve. This site rocks. Thanks!
linksys sucks
Apr 15, 2010 at 07:59 PM
same problem, but my activity light just stops and Im on linksys es3000 router

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I too am having the same problem
i have a Mac and an airport Extreme router
i have Charter cable and they also offered me the modem/router combo for 9.95 a month
This smells funny
I have had no problems for years and now I have to power cycle the airport express daily hummm???
I had the same issue after moving from AT&T to charter. Rep first advised of outage which I refused to believe then said that my router isn't compatible with theirs. Refused again. Hung up and did dd-wrt hack which I think I completed by pure luck. Set my reboot at 3 A.M. and have been running strong for two weeks. Pretty good for a $20 dollar router.
WELL IT SOUNDS LIKE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM !SO I JUST BOUGHT A REALLY NICE NETGEAR AND IT WORKS GREAT !!!!!!!!! FOR GET LINKSYS SUCKS THE BIG ONE!!!!!!!!!!
Charter Hater
Mar 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM
Charer is the one who SUCKS
Golfgal > Charter Hater
Apr 1, 2009 at 05:58 PM
The same thing happened to us last night - all of a sudden, the wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) stopped working. Everything shows that there's a connection, but non of the computers can get to the internet. I called Charter today, and all they want to do is sell me a modem/wifi router combo. I did the whole reset, disconnect and reconnect - I have excellent connection via hardwire to the modem, but nothing on the router. I tried to reset to factory setting on the router, change the SSID, clone and MAC address, to no avail. Charter SUCKS!!! and every time I call, I can barely understand them on the phone. It is soooo annoying. I'm going through the whole set up again and see if I can get anywhere!! AAAARRGHHHHHH!!!
misfor67 > Golfgal
Mar 15, 2010 at 11:55 AM
WHY DO YOU PEOPLE KEEP BLAMING CHARTER? They are only trying to help you. If it is your router's problem, they, of course, will offer to rent you their wireless modem/router. If you rent their's, they will support it and fix the problem if there is one. If you buy a car and put your own speakers in them and the sound doesn't work.. do you blame the car dealer? You are modifying something after the install... please know they probably are sick of you calling to complain to them also.. when it isn't something they can fix.. it's YOUR router! Rent theirs and you will be glad you did.. or just buy a different one. Good luck!
If you want to know why people are so down on Charter, go over to The Consumerist and read up on what Charter has been up to regarding routers. It is shameful.
Why should I have to rent another router when they supplied me with the original. They should support the original instead of trying to get more money monthly. I pay enough already with this bs package plan. It should work or don't sell the crap.You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.