Windows XP won't load and safe mode freezes!

Closed
phyresoul - Jan 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM
 li - Feb 6, 2011 at 09:18 PM
Hello,

A few days ago my Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop got infected with some spyware (worm.win32.netsky) and some other virus and after running my spybot, antivirus programs, ad-aware, etc. I rebooted. However, after this reboot the Dell screen shows and then it just stops on a black screen and windows xp never loads. I am able to get into the F8 advanced options menu but I am not able to use last known good configuration and when I try to use safe mode or even safe mode with command prompt the next screen starts loading but stops with the line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\f joth jhx.sys

and I can't get into windows even in safe mode. I have a lot of important files that I need to access and I've tried booting from the Windows XP disc and tried a repair install, but the option to repair was not listed. I'm not sure where the error is and if it's a registry error if there is any way to repair it. At the very least I just need access to my data and then I'm fine reformatting from the beginning. I'm afraid to try recovery console or other measures in case it deletes my data. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it!!!! Thank you!
Related:

11 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 4, 2010 at 07:21 PM
Follow these instructions for a repair/install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Good Luck