Ask a question Report

Drives and folders not open by double click [Solved/Closed]

Deepak - Latest answer on Mar 1, 2013 04:20AM
Sir,
I try to change the drive icon and folder file type from folder options/file types tab/advanced button.
Then i have change the icons from downloaded icons. but now the drives and folders not open on double click.
what can i do?
Read more 
Answer
+32
moins plus
Hi Verify first whether your system is affected by "TROJAN" or any other viruses
If "YES" Remove the smae by using "ANTIVIRUS" S/W (Preferably AVG !!)

Go to C:\Windows (O.K how to open C or C:\Windows is your questions ..Correct !! MAy be try to right click and use open with option..and select C:\Windows\Explorer.exe OR system may open show openwith window..click on browse and select c:\windows\explorer.exe)

Open REGEDIT file
Find "MOUNTPOINTS2" using Ctrl + F
Delete the same
Repeat the process unless all the "MOUNTPOINTS2" are deleted

Now your system will be OK. (reveied these inputs from thsi forum only)=Thanks to the member

valsalan- Mar 26, 2010 09:04AM
hi, thanks ... it is working fine..
Asad- May 5, 2010 12:44AM
Thx a lot your solution worked great!!!
SGD- Jul 12, 2010 04:42AM
It works.
Thanks
viru- May 12, 2011 10:58PM
thanks, its working now
MARSHALLSTYAGI- Mar 1, 2013 04:20AM
DEAR PARTNER I AM VERY GLAD THAT MY ALL DRIVES ARE OPEN AS USUAL AS PREVIOUSLY IN DOUBLE CLICK .I AM VERY THANKFULL TO YOUR TECHNIQUE (Open REGEDIT file
Delete the same
)
other wise i am wasting my time whole day to solved this type of problem
IAM ALSO A LINUX EXPERT IF YOU NEED SOME HELP THAN I AM HAPPY TO HELP YOU.
Answer
+9
moins plus
have you tried to right click and then click on open button?

if it is still not working then try to restore your computer to an earlier point and see what happens?

hope it helps you

larsan sonu - Oct 27, 2009 02:10AM
Dear sir,

i am unable to open drive from my hard disk, i have scan my system. but still i am faceing same problem.
please suggest me what to do.

i am waiting for u r replay.

thanking you
sajeevan sonu - Jan 7, 2010 04:40AM
pls help
leo- Jul 27, 2010 06:29AM
if u have problem right click and use explore button
nurmohammad- May 11, 2011 07:20AM
Dear sir / madam

please given me some command for command mode work, that i want windows xp copy, past, open and formate drive use by command mode
with thanks
Nurmohammad
nurmohammad- May 11, 2011 07:21AM
please give me ans
Answer
+5
moins plus
dear sir u try
click start then run
in run u type regedit
a window is open u select my computer & ctrl f to use find mountpoints2 it will take to serach name as u type to serach .at least u find mountpoints2 & delete it ,agian serach at least u find nothing found in registry .

u see that ur drive open directly on sinlge click

khan- Nov 10, 2008 02:18AM
thank u very much sir u r awsome
sunny- Nov 14, 2008 07:19AM
this works efficiently
abs- Nov 28, 2008 12:10AM
I deleted those entries but after a computer restart .. the problem started again .. !!!

I did a complete virus scan using Norton Antivirus 2008 and did not find any virus on my computer

Please help ..
Robz- Nov 28, 2008 09:51PM
drives and folders not open by double click

Hi
I had the same probem.Some of the solutions are already mentioned on this forum before.

Open REGEDIT file
Delete the same

Restart you pc and see if it still works - if nottry this out.

1.Downlod this simple freeware " tweak ui" from:
http://www.download.com/Tweak-UI/3000-2072_4-10002117.html
2.Install it.
3.Open the software locate for"My Computer>Drives>U'l see drives - listing from a to z
4.Uncheck all the drives which u dont ve on ur pc.
5.Then clickon "Autoplay > Drives > Uncheck all unwanted drives from the list.

Then goto to"regedit" and continue with the first step mentioned above.
This will be a permanent fix-it would not re-create the "mountpoints2" file when you restart ur pc.

Regards.

Robin Seram
master- Jan 29, 2009 12:45PM
thanx allot dear so sweet of u
Answer
+3
moins plus
When I try to double click any folder then it doesn't open directly, instead of this SEarch window opens. For opening any folder, first I have to do right click on that folder then do open or explore, then only folder would be opened. pLease send me some solution on my email id.

Answer
+2
moins plus
If you have windows xp, go to run button and type cmd

step-1: type attrib -h -r -s autorun.inf

step-2: type del autorun.inf

Now restart the computer. Your problem will resolve.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Good day guys ,
it really is annoying isnt it ! , so here is the series of solution

> run a trojan,virus,malware remover , preferable all in one pack prg. make sure system is clean
>as described follow the regedit steps and delete all MOUNTPOINTS2 till its clean ,
> here is the trick , if u all cleared it up , cos of an autorun file on every drive , (C,D,E) if u reboot now it will come back as u restart ! DONT REBOOT NOW , we'r not done yet

>if u r one of the guys having problems running the cmd prompt of ''type attrib -h -r -s autorun.inf '' , DO THIS
> since u can access ur drives now , go to ontrol pannel , pull up Folder Options, select SHOW hidden files , down below , UNCHECK (hide protected sys. files ) , apply and lick ok
>go back to explorer , in C> drive now u will see a autorun.inf , DELETE it , do this for all drives u have , once u finish , uncheck the settings we changed in folder options (hide sys.files , show hidden) close explorer , restart
pc ,

:) now u will be able to use explorer , but dont forget its becose of a trojan , so prob. somewhere in the sys. u may still have a virus ...

Hope that works for u folks !

Answer
+1
moins plus
thanks buddy it really works

Answer
+1
moins plus
I think it's virus problem once scan the system using legal anti virus it will solve ur problems

Answer
+0
moins plus
Hi Deepak!1
I had the same probem.Some of the solutions are already mentioned on this forum before.

Open REGEDIT file
Delete the same
Repeat the process unless all the "MOUNTPOINTS2" are delet
ed

Restart you pc and see if it still works - if nottry this out.

1.Downlod this simple freeware " tweak ui" from:
http://www.download.com/Tweak-UI/3000-2072_4-10002117.html
2.Install it.
3.Open the software locate for"My Computer>Drives>U'l see drives - listing from a to z
4.Uncheck all the drives which u dont ve on ur pc.
5.Then clickon "Autoplay > Drives > Uncheck all unwanted drives from the list.

Then goto to"regedit" and continue with the first step mentioned above.
This will be a permanent fix-it would not re-create the "mountpoints2" file when you restart ur pc.

Regards.

Robin Seram

Answer
+0
moins plus
really thanx
finally got the annoying got iver

Answer
+0
moins plus
Thanks,

It really works.

Answer
+0
moins plus
thanks for helping.....

Answer
+0
moins plus
thanks man it really works........
i was really getting annoyed of that thing..

Answer
+0
moins plus
thaaaaaaaaaaanks a million....

Answer
+0
moins plus
Hi Nasir,

I just clean installed XP pro and my logical drives did not open on double click. I tried your command line fix and it works like a magic!

Thanks genius!

Answer
+0
moins plus
Thank you so much! I followed ur steps, and the doubleclicking works fine. Although, I didn't find the autorun.inf, and the d: partition disk thing didn't work for me. It was interesting to see that the value in the Registry was FIND. That is what I've been seeing when I tried repairing using FOLDER OPTIONS.

Thanks again!

Answer
+0
moins plus
Thanks, u'r also helping, i will clear the problem, thanssssssssssssssssssssss.

senthil

Answer
+0
moins plus
when i type attrib -r -h -s, its sayin dat file not found autorun.inf ..
my problem is dat when i double click on my D, H drive it says "drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now...." plz giv me a solution to fix my problem...

This document entitled « drives and folders not open by double click » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.