Restore missing icons start menu

Solved/Closed
behavinit - Updated on Jul 26, 2017 at 08:36 AM
 Cc - Jul 24, 2017 at 08:41 PM
Hello,
My friend restored her computer last week because it didn't offer her any other options (or at least that is what I was told) and I am trying to help her bring it back up. When the main screen came back up it said that there was no desktop. The screen came back up blank with no icons and no start menu. When I right click nothing happens. When I bring up task manager everything seems to be there. I can bring up Internet Explorer and AOL along with her other documents. She does occasionally get a 404 error when trying to bring up webpages and I can't figure that out either even though I have checked everything it told me to check, but it doesn't happen every time. How can I bring back the desktop and do anyone have any other suggestions. By the way, it is an older computer but has been upgraded with Windows XP (I believe). Thanks for any help you can give me.
Related:

15 responses

Hello,

I spent 5 day to solve this problem

Ctr + Alt + Delete // File - New Task (run...) // explorer.exe // OK
This will show your desktop icons but not solve the problem
To solve it just do this steps

1- copy "explorer.exe" from other clean computer (from C:\WINDOWS)
2- in your computer go to C:\WINDOWS
3- show hidden files from (Tools - Folder Options - View - Show hidden files and folders)
4- delete explorer.exe and any other files start with explorer...
5- put the new file (explorer.exe)
6- log off or restart
7- log on

Congratulation your desktop healthy now
I have the same problem, but when I try to follow your instructions, nothing happens.
I go to Ctrl + Alt + Del and try to find the "explorer.exe", I put but nothing happens after the "ok".

D:
ITmom > Anything
Mar 25, 2009 at 01:38 PM
I have seen this happen to various logins in Windows XP, on a number of computers. Ctrl-Alt-Del does not give you a shut down option, and the Start Shut Down option is also missing. When this happens, that user has to do a hard shut down to power off (holding the power button for 5 seconds). BUT - the interesting thing - is that this setting is user related - so meaning if you log in as a different identity, you will have those shut down options restored. It's not a nice fix - but it seems to work.