Linksys wrt54g router setup not working

Closed
spete9 - Dec 6, 2009 at 07:32 PM
 spanky - Mar 7, 2010 at 03:08 PM
I have a Linksys WRT54G V8 wireless router, and when I try to run the setup program it cant find the internet connection.. My internet connection is working fine for everything else but the setup program. I have charter Cable internet service and am accessing it thru the charter modem and router that they supplied to me.

My firefox, and everything else finds the internet just fine.. Running Vista, and Trend Micro internet security suite... I have tried shutting down my firewall, anti spyware, and everything else I can think of that might be blocking it access.. and still nothing.. I cant even get to step 1 of the setup.

Can someone PLEASE help me to figure this out??
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 6, 2009 at 08:47 PM
You must plug the computer into the router to access the setup. A wireless connection will not work.
The connection that I have is a wired connection.. I am connected directly to the cable modem and then to the cable router, to the cable into the house. and my internet works fine, but when I try to run the setup program for the wireless router, (Before plugging in the WRT54G)the setup program cant find a connection to the internet. and I guess it needs to have an active connection.. Why is the software not seeing the internet, when All of my other programs have no trouble.. I have tried disabling all of my virus and firewalls stuff, but still no luck.
spete9 > spete9
Dec 10, 2009 at 04:43 PM
Any help??? ANYONE??? PLEASE????
SquareOne > spete9
Jan 21, 2010 at 01:16 PM
I having exactly the same problem using an XP SP3 box.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
spanky > SquareOne
Mar 7, 2010 at 03:08 PM
You need to reset your cable/dsl modem after you set up the router. Otherwise, it won't recognize the router.