Ask a question Report

Not showing hidden files and folders [Solved/Closed]

Mr. Bridge - Latest answer on Nov 1, 2012 01:28PM
Hello, Dear Ali and others. I was hit by virus / worm "autorun.inf" last week. I got rid of it by downloading, updating, and scanning with AVG 8.0, but it left me with the problem that my laptop with XP will not show any hidden files and folders and I can not open my C or D partitioned drives normally.
Sorry Ali I try to do your : Run - regi something - mountpoint2 , but I could not find what to delete !
Pls help me again !
Read more 
Answer
+306
moins plus
Try this
Click on Start menu, then click Run (or Windows key + R).
Type cmd, a command prompt window (DOS) will open.
Type regsvr32 /i browseui.dll then press the Enter key, wait for a confirmation window.
Type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll then press the Enter key, wait for a confirmation window.
Close the command prompt.

tariq- Oct 19, 2012 12:01AM
thanxxxx
tinkujiya- Oct 23, 2012 05:51AM
thanx
:(- Oct 24, 2012 07:33PM
doesn't help me at all
Honey- Oct 25, 2012 09:51AM
Thanks too much and it is indeed a great help
ptt- Nov 1, 2012 01:28PM
Thanks a lot also from Finland, you solved one big problem, now I can let my children play computer again as I was able to find those hidden wsg****.exe files.

Thanks

pekka
Answer
+85
moins plus
I just fixed the same thing following the steps written here:

Method 1:
Go to registry editor by running regedit in the run box.
Go to this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoft
WindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced
In the right hand area, double click hidden and change the value to 1.

Now you're all set to go. Check it in your tools menu if the changes have taken effect.

Method 2: (By Random Hajile)
1. Click "Start" -> "Run..." (or press Windows key + R)
2. Type "regedit" and click "Ok".
3. Find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
Advanced\FolderHidden\SHOWALL
4. Look at the "CheckedValue" key... This should be a DWORD key. If it isn't, delete the key.
5. Create a new key called "CheckedValue" as a DWORD (hexadecimal) with a value of 1.
6. The "Show hidden files & folders" check box should now work normally.

hope it is useful to you as well.

ie- Apr 19, 2010 01:17AM
tq..its work..
nani- Jul 8, 2010 04:06AM
fantastic...
puneet- Jul 15, 2010 05:34AM
thank you
ashish- Oct 28, 2012 12:18AM
nice guideline. i can not believe this. but a say thanks to guider heartfully.
Answer
+15
moins plus
o In the left pane goto path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftware\Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \Advanced \Folder \Hidden \SHOWALL
o Delete the value CheckedValue in the Right pane by right clicking it and selecting delete. (Its type should be REG_SZ and data should be 2.)
o Create a new DWORD value called CheckedValue by right clicking in the Right pane and then selecting new -> DWORD Value and then changing the name to CheckedValue. (same as above, except that the type is REG_DWORD). Modify the value data to 1

pastorchris- Jul 12, 2010 06:38AM
This tip worked for me when I had a virus attack that kind of messed up my registry.
Thanks Abhinav.
ParUl- Oct 16, 2012 01:36AM
ThanXXXX alooot bhai....... :)
Answer
+8
moins plus
Hey this is simple ---Open any drive and click on VIEW menu in the menu bar then go to FOLDER OPTION in that click on VIEW menu then check on SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS....

Try it it's simple Best of luck...!

nas morpheus - Feb 6, 2010 05:55AM
THANk YOU VERY VERY MUCH, IT WORKS. THANX AGAIN
saiboa morpheus - Mar 2, 2010 09:24PM
hi... man thanks for helpining out about hidden issues...... U saved my ass
madhavan Menon morpheus - Mar 9, 2010 07:15AM
Dear Sir,

I followed your instructions for recovering hidden folders and files and it succeeded.

Thank you verymuch for your valuable information.

Madhavan Menon.
chaos morpheus - Mar 17, 2010 12:09PM
boos u r amazing that was so simple and well explained and it really worked thanks a lot bro
dan- Jan 3, 2010 09:12AM
before,i have no problem with that, because every time i mark show the hidden files and folders its always work..but lately when i click that...there are no changes..it doesn't work anymore..i dont no why..pls help..i think it is computer problem..but i don't know how..
Answer
+4
moins plus
This really helped, Thanks!

Answer
+3
moins plus
I am not able to access hidden files and folders

yadav- Apr 19, 2010 12:11AM
recycle bin file or folder do not show
pastorchris- Jul 12, 2010 06:40AM
Try running the following two commands at the command prompt.
regsvr32 /i browseui.dll
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

If you still cannot, then try Abhinav's solution above.
Answer
+3
moins plus
thnx bro,, amazing answer,, it works...

Answer
+2
moins plus
Thanks very well..and Please u put the all solve the problem methods stepby step screen shot...

Answer
+2
moins plus
Thanks a lot.....!

Answer
+2
moins plus
what a nice trick.
i like it

Answer
+1
moins plus
Yes but even with this I think that the hidden folders qill stay hidden. It has definitely been infected by the autorun virus and the best way to get rid of it if you do not want to format the entire drive is simply by running the scan and deleting all the autorun.inf files open either by doing a search or going though the Task Manager and suppressing all the autorun.inf or exe that are being executed and then allowing the view hidden files option.

pinsoman- Jun 5, 2009 09:14AM
yeah i tried the same thing n tried deleting the autorun.inf but couldn't ,but i clearly i h deleted some time back anmways,,,,
May be try this method:::

Open the "Registry Editor" ("Start" >> "Run", then type "regedit" and Enter).
Expand to the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
If the value "SuperHidden" exists, double-click on it to edit its value to (0 = show hidden, 1 = do not show)
If the value "SuperHidden" does not exist, create it as follows
Name: SuperHidden
Type: DWORD
Value: 0
(0: show hidden, 1: do not show)

It should work.
Answer
+1
moins plus
It doesn't work in my vista.. =(
some body help me with my vista pls..

Answer
+1
moins plus
first make sure your computer is virus free, update your anti virus and scan for virus then follow this link, i'm sure this will help you, You can also download registry patch there, if in future this happens again then just run registry patch and it will solve the problem

http://hubpages.com/...

Answer
+1
moins plus
YOUR TIP IS WORKING ONE"S TIME
"THANKS MY ALL GREAT FRIEND'S"

Answer
+1
moins plus
just make autorun file with inf extension then copy it in the infected parition which doest show or open the, it will ask for replace then replace it and restart your computer now it will be accessible if u found it again then tell me.

AFTAB HAIDER
IT PROFESSIONAL
Email id removed for security

Answer
+1
moins plus
wow...many thnx

Answer
+0
moins plus
Really brilliant.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Really nice.....its working.............u re great

Answer
+0
moins plus
Hi its really helpfull but i did,t deleted the key but changed the value from 0 to 1 nad it worked for me.Thanks:)

1 2 Next
This document entitled « Not showing hidden files and folders » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.