Ask a question Report

Computer Screen goes black after Windows [Solved/Closed]

davidp20078 - Latest answer on Nov 3, 2012 12:37PM
Hello,
I am usually the person which fixes the computers in the house.. and one of them has this problem which I don't know what to do.. First when I turn it on it shows the Windows XP startup and then the computer screen goes black, I tried going on safe mode but it didn't work. and I tried formatting the computer, in which case with a Windows XP CD, but it shows nothing about booting the cd. I don't know what to do I have tried everything and still nothing.
Read more 
Answer
+583
moins plus
Alright, here is the solution!! I read this on another thread here and was so upset with my Toshiba's black screen (I am a flight attendant and drag this laptop all over the world and back...I thought I broke it while going through security..where, of course they handle everything with tender loving care..lol)
Well I was just about to go online to buy a new laptop because my screen was black when I read a thread on this site and whoever figured this out WAS a genius...

This is what this person said to do.....

1) UNPLUG THE LAPTOP
2) REMOVE THE BATTERY
3) HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS TO 2 MINUTES
4) THEN PUT THE BATTERY BACK IN
5) START IT UP..

It worked immediately...I nearly cried when it started up...We are in a recession right now and the last thing I needed was a laptop repair bill..

Kudos to the person who shared this on this website...I lost the 'thread' but wanted to share it with everyone!

Lioness- Apr 27, 2010 12:14PM
Thank you so much for posting this! It worked the first time!
Lenovo Supporter!!!- Apr 28, 2010 09:16AM
I had the very same problem. My laptop screen started flickering and then everything would get all glitchey on me... I really appreciate this!!! :) Basically this removes all static electricity from your unit which allows your system to run on a fresh battery. Its like staying awake for three days. Getting one nights sleep, and then being so rejuvenated!!!
gigi23- May 5, 2010 02:38PM
thanks..........really good
i was told by a computer guy that my computer was not good anymore and he told me put on the garbage , i decide to look online how to solve the problem i found you with the same problem.... i decide to try and my computer is working great ...........
Sammy- May 9, 2010 08:22PM
This just worked for me. Geniuses.
Dave8200- May 19, 2010 11:19PM
I have fixed at least a dozen computers with this little trick, it works wonders, and it works on MOST laptops, make sure to pass the word to your fellow laptop users, there are some computer repair places that will make 100 bucks off of them if you don't!!!!
Answer
+102
moins plus
Okay, so after you log in the screen turns black and you can only see your cursor? Well the solution to that is, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. After this you should see the following (or at least some of the following): Lock Computer, Logoff, Shut Down, Change password, Task Manager, and Shut Down.

Click Task Manager! After this at the most eastern bottem of Task Manager, click New Task (I guarentee it should be there), there should be a window (short and rectangular), then type in "explorer" (NO CAPITAL AND EXACT FORMAT IN QUOTES
(NO QUOTES). Hit enter or click "ok" that should do it :)

owner ben 1Posts Saturday November 3, 2012Registration date November 3, 2012Last seen - Nov 3, 2012 12:37PM
omg thanks so much i was having problems with this and i was too afraid to tell my dad that my laptop that i got 2 weeks ago was already broken but i tried this and it works 100% now thanks so much !
Answer
+56
moins plus
I got the same problem with my HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop. I newly installed the Windoes Vista Business Edition and installed my other programs, and i also updated the windows, but i got error that windows was not succesfully updated.

After that when i am starting my computer, after Windows LOGO i got full black screen, i even tried a monitor with my laptop but same goes there. PLEASE HELP :(.

1) UNPLUG THE LAPTOP
2) REMOVE THE BATTERY
3) HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS TO 2 MINUTES
4) THEN PUT THE BATTERY BACK IN
5) START IT UP..

This one didin't worked for me, i tried this twice but still i am getting black screen

Lucky- Apr 27, 2010 08:00AM
Thanks man. This work for me .
Answer
+32
moins plus
Hello,

My laptop is a Compaq Presario C500 running Windows Vista. I recently got a chord to plug up my laptop to my LCD TV and ever since then I have been having a problem. After I boot up my laptop and log on, my screen is black and the only thing I can see and move is the mouse. CTRL-ALT-Delete does not work neither do any other key commands. I have changed a ton of settings in BIOS and none work. I have tried booting up in safe mode but the problem continues the same, the only thing different is 4 boxes with "safe mode" written in them. I have tried hooking my laptop back into my TV in hopes of it booting on my TV screen but that failed also. I have even tried taking out the battery, holding the power button for 30 sec.- 2 mins., and then putting the battery back in and booting it up like another thread said but that also failed.
I have searched many other threads and a lot of people are having the same problem, but with no permanent solution. If you are going to try to post a solution, may I remind you, I cannot access my desktop at all(so this means I can't get to my screen settings!). If you do post, please make your instructions very precise as some people are not as computer literate as you. :)
Please try your best to think of a solution, as I really need to get my laptop working!

Thanks,

Adrian

Answer
+23
moins plus
HI GUYS,

I just experience this the same problem last 2 days. After changing the resolution using the NVIDIA GeForce, the screen went blank so its like black screen and the power indicator on the monitor is blinking orange & green. At first it will do that in more or less 10 sec., but right now it will no longer show the display on the monitor.

Since I cant do the warm reboot, I need to push the button on the CPU for 5 sec to restart the PC.

I also tried press F8 during POST but there's no option for me to open it in Safe Mode, and PC will show Windows XP screen after that it went blank again showing black screen and the power indicator on the monitor is still blinking orange & green.

I dont know what shoud I do with my PC right now.

I will try Joy's solution and hopefully it will work.

I'll update you guys!

Thanks!

Have a good day to all... =)

sudip nath- Jan 13, 2010 08:36AM
just experience this the same problem last 2 days. After changing the resolution using the NVIDIA GeForce, the screen went blank so its like black screen and the power indicator on the monitor is blinking orange & green. At first it will do that in more or less 10 sec., but right now it will no longer show the display on the monitor.

Since I cant do the warm reboot, I need to push the button on the CPU for 5 sec to restart the PC.

I also tried press F8 during POST but there's no option for me to open it in Safe Mode, and PC will show Windows XP screen after that it went blank again showing black screen and the power indicator on the monitor is still blinking orange & green.
Answer
+13
moins plus
I have had this problem twice in the last two months</gras>...mysteriously, the monitor goes dark...I can turn it off and on again and it comes on fine, but a second or two later it goes dark again...MY SOLUTION:
I downloaded a Malware Removal thingy from Microsoft....PROBLEM SOLVED...twice now!!!! Thank you MICROSOFT!!!! I am convinced it is a virus, but my (regualry updated and ran daily) anitvirus does not pick it up, nor shows any removal, etc. Even the Malware Removal Tool says nothing was found, but each tme it fiixed it...:D heres the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/...

Hope this helps...I am computer dumb, but I can usual trouble shoot an issue thanks to people smarter than me!

Zoomie- Jan 6, 2010 11:22AM
...link did not show up correctly???? Try googling this: Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)
Zoomie- Jan 6, 2010 11:23AM
google- Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)
Answer
+12
moins plus
Make sure nothing is plugged into any of the USB ports then turn it on. Also, trying unplugging the charger from the back of the laptop before starting up. These worked for me.

Answer
+11
moins plus
when it goes black just type in your password and press enter it will log you in and if it does its because someone in your house set the computer to boot on a deffirent screen in which you would have to get to your settings somehow and change then back to start on your regular monitor because i had the same thing when i had my tv hooked to my co mputer and it took me forever to figure it out but once you log in and if you see the windows task bar at the bottem your in luck just right click your desktop and go to properties aqnd then your graphcs card settings or your regular desktop settings and switch it back to the normal monitor and if you dont have the bar like i didnt you will have to play around or just plug your tower to a tv and try to fix it that way

Answer
+9
moins plus
Pardon the mistake. Control+shift+esc was what I meant.

Answer
+8
moins plus
Thank you mcmcnally!!!!!!!!!!! It worked to take out the battery, hold down the power button, etc. I was about to throw the computer out the window!! If you are getting a black screen after the Windows screen is loading, try those steps and it should work. My computer started doing this after hooking it up to my tv.

Woo hoo!

Answer
+6
moins plus
Windows have had some problem with dual display after laptop was disconnected from the same network as desktop pc. My monitor's got a button for switching from analog to digital. Switched to analog, windows came on and monitor stopped blinking. Hope this helps.

Answer
+6
moins plus
Hi to ALL,

My problem now is fixed. I asked help from my boyfriend who's a computer enginnering graduate. He said that the OS is already corrupted. I install Windows XP again and now my computer works again. Its good that I created partition so I still retrtieve my files in D:. I install XP in C: only.

Hope this will also help those people who are experiencing the same problems.

Have a good day to everyone.

Chow!

Answer
+6
moins plus
If it just windows 7 try hitting ctrl-alt-del then going to change user. And log back on as your user again.

Answer
+6
moins plus
When the screen goes back take ouit your video cable and plug it into the onboard video slot then once you have the pic back go into your bios and change the agp to pci hope this helps

Answer
+2
moins plus
I have that same problem, what i do is hit Ctrl,Alt,Delete, and it starts up again...try that

This document entitled « Computer Screen goes black after Windows » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.