Folder shortcuts won't open

Solved/Closed
Alex - Nov 11, 2009 at 01:53 PM
 Sara Relevo - Dec 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Hello,

I've been fiddling with a shell menu customizer program (Fast Explorer), then I uninstalled it and found out that I can't open any folder. The default "Open" in the shell menu had been substituted by "Enqueue in Winamp" and others (depending on the folder type). I ran regsvr32 /i SHELL32 command which I found on this forum and everything was restored back to normal except one thing. The folder shortcut won't open. File shortcuts open fine. The shell menu displays Open as default and Explore, but when I click on them, or double-click on the folder or press Enter I get this message:
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Option control panel.
The same message appears for Win+E.
If I press Find Target... , Open with... pops up and if I go and find Explorer.exe, the shortcut opens, but I can't make this default.
I ran the following commands, to no avail:

regsvr32 BROWSEUI.dll
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

Please, help.
Related:

6 responses

Do the Steps to remove folder shortcut

* Click on "Start" -->Run-->type cmd and click on OK.
* Here I assume your pendrive as G:
* Enter this command.
* attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*
* Note : Replace the letter g with your flash drive letter.
sorry I cnt make it... its erro "not recognized as a internal and external command" :(
semy2089@yahoo.com plz some boday help me my email address : semy2089@yahoo.com
yes it works....................fine
great. it worked for me too......
It worked to me. Thank you so much! :)
I have followed three steps.

1. Scanned PC with Pendrive with AVG Antivirus Software.

2. Scanned with Microsoft Security Essentials after downloading from Microsoft downloading centre.

3.Followed the steps--

* Click on "Start" -->Run-->type cmd and click on OK.
* Here I assume your pendrive as G:
* Enter this command.
* attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*
* Note : Replace the letter g with your flash drive letter.

4. Deleted the Shortcuts after verifying the mian folders.
hi guys
this is a virus Win32/Vobfus.C
it has got the most victims in july 29th and microsoft has release a security patch for this. this worm is called the shortcut worm
i suggest all to install the microsofts security update and prevent it spreading
it first affects in your system and spreads through the next system through the shared drives
manaf ,
Has it right sir that is what happen's during a virus take over, it deletes the extension to them and before repair you must remove the radical virus.
Or it will infect your whole system till a crash happened's or full lock up.
Had the same happen to my desk top, mine was a fake win shark anti virus software that was placed to stop all software from running and had to rebuild just to recover from it "it was a Trojan with a virus replicator and infested entire pc after exploit"

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
thanks bro finaly I did solve the problem
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,173
Aug 26, 2010 at 04:34 PM
Arlindo

That's great and thank you for your feedback.
wow it worked...u saved me lot of data and pics..thanks