2nd sata hard drive not recognized by Windows

Solved/Closed
Mike - Updated on Nov 12, 2018 at 01:13 AM
 subhadeep - Jun 11, 2017 at 05:31 AM
Hello,
I just installed a 2nd sata hd on my Dell Dimension E510. BIOS recognizes the new drive as does Device Manager. But Windows Explorer and my other software doesn't see it. If I click on My Computer, it's not there.

I using XP SP3. I have 1 DVD/RW, 1 80GB Primary Hard Drive, 1 Removable USB Hard Drive, printer, USB mouse etc. Nothing really fancy.

I've drive the uninstall/reinstall driver routine, check BIOS, killed my primary IDE DVD drive. Funny, I've got one piece of software (Paragon Backup/Restore) that detects the drive for reading but not for writing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Arlington, TX
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Nov 2, 2009 at 06:31 PM
Did you partition and format the drive after the install? It will not show in Explorer until you do.

If you have a CD of software that came with the drive - use it to partition and format.

If you got a bare drive then:
type diskmgmt.msc in your run command
You should see the drive in the graphical display on the right of the screen.
Right click the drive and a drop down menu should give you a choice to partition:
you should partition it as one big partition the full size of the drive.
Then go back and right click again and select format

after that (you might need to restart windows) you should see the drive in Explorer (My Computer)

Good Luck
miketilson Posts 6 Registration date Sunday November 1, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 10, 2009
Nov 2, 2009 at 06:42 PM
Thanks much. I'm up now.
Oh, wow. I've been looking for direction on this problem for an age. I know very little about computers and didn't even know where to start. Thanks so much!
Thanks very much for this tip...!! I just bougth a HD and I had the same problem, with the explanation you gave was really a piece of cake to have the HD recognized... Thanks.:)
Did the trick.. Thanks
Did the trick for me as well. Thanks for your help.
miketilson Posts 6 Registration date Sunday November 1, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 10, 2009
Nov 2, 2009 at 06:45 PM
I'm up. Thank you very much.

Mike