Ask a question Report

Internet Connected but can't Browse [Solved/Closed]

NelsMa - Latest answer on Oct 27, 2012 01:51PM
Hello,
I bought this computer about coming on two years ago, Up until about April my internet connection was fine. To at which point I had little to no ability to browse on any browser, Although other computers on my network could connect just fine. I could ping just fine, Firewall was off, had no other problems. Couldn't figure it out so I went with a reinstallation, after reinstalling the problem still persisted. I'm running windows xp sp2 and have McAFee security center wich I just uninstalled which did no good. I tired winsock to no avail. I've tired searching around, but the only people with the same problem as I seem to be running zonealram and reconfiguring settings for that fix it for them, but I do not have zonealram so that doesn't work for me.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Read more 
Answer
+606
moins plus
Resetting IP in Windows XP
In Windows XP, use the following steps to reset the Internet Protocol:
1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type cmd
4. Click Ok
5. In the Black Command Box Type: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
6. Hit Enter Key
7. Restart the computer and try to log in and browse the Internet. If the problem persists, continue using these steps.
8. Click Start
9. Click Run
10. Type cmd
11. Click Ok
12. In Black Command Box Type: netsh winsock reset
13. Hit Enter Key
14. Restart Computer
Also Try Resetting IE8 to Default Options
Click Tools Tab
Click Internet Options at bottom
Click Advanced Tab on far right
Click Reset near bottom
Click Ok and Close Internet Explorer 8
Restart Internet Explorer 8

triptow- Oct 27, 2012 01:51PM
Perfect! It did the trick! Thank You!!!
Answer
+50
moins plus
I had the same problem. My system doesn't have Norton Anti Virus. I found that the proxy using of IE enables without even the related checkbox (int the tools->connection->Lan settings) is selected.
After some checking I found that some registry settings is changed every time I run the IE. I changed some registry setting manually and IT WORKS NOW.

You can try it yourself as follows:

1- Close IE
2- Run regedit
3- Goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
4- Change AutoConfigProxy Key name into some garbage name like 000AutoConfigProxy000
5- Change ProxyEnable Key Value into 0
6- Leave blank the Proxyserver Key Value (Don't delete the key, just make its value blank)
7- Change MigrateProxy key value into 0
8- Close regedit
9- Run IE

It should work now.

Answer
+46
moins plus
Guys, if you ever needed a reason not to use Facebook, then a wild fire spreading Malware trojan email would be one of them.

Basically, it was the old faithful Malware trojan, where it would report that you had a virus on your computer and then direct you to a web page where you could download a virus checker. I couldn't believe it when I found out that it had been sent around inside Facebook. I hate the site myself but my wife uses it.

Anyway, basically, the only way to get rid of this virus if you come across it is to download the latest Lavasoft product (Adaware FREE Download, www.download.com will have it). Install it, restart your computer/laptop in safe mode, run the scan, clear the virus & reboot.

This will clear the virus, but you may find that your internet browser wont work even if you can connect to Messenger. The reason for this is that the trojan will activate your internet connection Lan settings and tick the proxy settings. To finally fix this problem, go into the internet settings options, go to the connection tab, into LAN Settings and untick the proxy settings. Restart and there you go. All fixed and back to normal.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Answer
+45
moins plus
I had the sqame problem, the day after my 12 year old grandaughter used the puter to play her online games. Pinging worked using IP addys,, and names, but I could not connect with my browser. I wound up disabling the internal wireless card on my Dell [Vostro} and installing a USB wireless adapter. Voila, I connected immediately. I then disabled my USB adapter, enabled the internal one, and its running fine now. Don't ask me why or how, IT WORKED. I didn't look any further. Incidentally, I had compared all settings [via IPCONFIG] with another puter on the same network that worked. For all practical purposes, they were identical.
Maybe this will help someone. For me, it was a stab in the dark that worked.

John

Answer
+33
moins plus
Something is definately up... too many folks experiencing the same problem! I also had or still have the same problem, it is intermittent so I don't know if it's fixed. I am pretty sure that it is fixed because I have been online now for a while. I loaded the link from Microsoft that the fine user recommended earlier... I think that fixed it.
http://www.microsoft.com/...
In my frustration I also uninstalled Office2009 for student, Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, and a few other apps I don't use. My daughter was online playing webkins, don't think that was it. I think it was a router conflict because I even reloaded XP home on a different drive and fell offline a few times.

Crazy thing... I am a veteran net surfer and PC user with my own server, web design company, and hosting service.

God bless the wonderful peeps that take the time to help one-another, I thtink you helped me once again!!!

-Matt

edwinjay- Sep 27, 2009 09:08AM
i suggest just to system restore to nearest time...i have also the same problem and when i do the system restore...now its ok...
thankfully relieved- Oct 2, 2009 02:42PM
Same deal, here.
This board helped me to fix it.
Winsock didn't do it for me, it was removing Norton, but there was a trick.

After removing Norton with add/remove programs, it was still there. I found it hidng in program files/common files. There was a folder called Symantec shared and one called norton, although they could have been called any variation.

I couldn't delete any of these, so I downloaded a program called unlocker. I unlocked these folders, removed them and boom.

My browser worked for the first time in months!
Thiru- Feb 25, 2010 07:26AM
The Same Problem, This is because of some idiotic anti virus softwares. Please Remove that and try to browse. Surely It will work.
Fact- Apr 27, 2011 03:28PM
I will have to say a HUGE thanks for the advise provided. I disabled every security measure my win 7 64bit had to offer and still no luck. When I used the Norton removal tool, voila internet began to work (wireless and lan). Can't thank you enough!!!!!
pecky- May 14, 2011 02:57AM
wow !! i got rid of a month old problem :):)
thanx a lot ...
Answer
+20
moins plus
I have the same problem. I have tried Winsock but it doesnt work and all the firewall settings are off. Firefox and explorer dont work but msn and limewire etc do. I need help!

CC- Nov 13, 2008 10:05AM
Did you get it sorted yet?
Osbert- May 3, 2009 04:42AM
i have a networked connection with internet, but some of the computers on the network browse internet very well and others do not. Am still wondering what could be the problem because they have right configurations.
Your answer will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
kinkells- Jun 19, 2009 09:43PM
I also cannot connect with IE or mozilla. When I Use IE diagnostics it tells me that there is probably a fire wall blocking my connection. I have turned off both the windows firewall and the Mcaffee fire wall and still cannot connect. This all just started out of blue. One day I was fine and the next not connection
Thank You
dhaksh- Nov 14, 2009 03:47AM
the network card drivers are installed properly, but cannot open network but other cpu is working in network is the same connection
Answer
+16
moins plus
I finally fixed the problem on my computer. There were remnents of Norton left over after an uninstalll that were throwing everything off. I went to norton's website and got a complete removal program. After I ran it everything went back to normal!!!

keith- Feb 4, 2009 01:33PM
hi hatt
so what anti virus do u have now in your computer? thanks
Confused- Mar 8, 2009 10:30AM
hey, my sister's computer is having the same problem..she also has norton antivirus, so i told her to uninstall it like someone suggested on here, but it seems like it can't be uninstalled..what should we do? also the link provided by someone here to uninstall programs also didnt work..opening firefox lead us to a yellow triangle icon with an exclimation point on the middle. How can we fix this?
Mariska- Jul 17, 2009 04:32AM
Hi, I've also gone to Norton's site for the removal tool and it solved all my problems! Thank you so much!
jules- Dec 3, 2009 10:18AM
Norton is horrible. I can't believe it was causing all of these problems. On my machine too. The Norton Removal tool fixed everything. Sweet.
Answer
+15
moins plus
I just solved this problem for myself! My problem was in Norton Security/Antivirus which is provided through Rogers and for some dumb reason had made a rule to block the internet. All I did was under the web browsing tab, turn off personal firewall and when I tried my browser again it worked. I switched the firewall back on and it asked me to create a new rule for IE8 and it has been working ever since! Hope this works for you too

Peace

Tec Guy Michael- Feb 15, 2009 08:33PM
Im Usually a expert with xp and lower computers when the brought me the vista one with this problem i had to go crazy on this i feel you guys i hate it cuz theres no way to solve it but its solved check your settings on your anti virus programs i dont know the differences but on norton just go to where it says with programs have been blocked and allowed and look for everything thats blocked im sure its gonna show iexplorer blocked just allow it restarts it and done
Mr. Thank Me Later- Jun 13, 2009 12:05AM
Ok everyone who said norton is the problem.... are CORRECT!!! But you don't have to uninstall it tho. Just follow these steps: 1. Open up Norton 2. Go to manage firewalls 3. Go to Program Rules 4. Find your internet browser and click the drop down tab to select custom 5. Make sure its on allow and there you go.
Deb- Sep 15, 2009 10:14PM
I followed Mr thank me laters instructions and it worked temporarily but when I shut down and restarted I had the same probelm. I went backand reset to "custom" and then back to "allow" and the problem went away again. I am travelling so will persevere but when I am home I will ditch Norton.
Answer
+14
moins plus
I have the same exact issue, it started for me when one of my wireless systems USB network adapters died. After replacing the adapter the system will not browse via any browser program. It will still receive windows updates, and my anti virus program still updates, I have tried disabling all firewall protection both software and hardware and it still will not browse. From the router I can see where the router issues the ip address and the computer can be pinged. My network has 2 wired computers via D-link gamers lounge and 2 computers are wireless, The wireless ap is a linksys wap54g. Only one of the two wireless computers are having this issue as the other wireless system browses just fine. I am at my witts end on this. I have removed all anti-virus and anti spam,malware,spyware programs from the system as well as disabled all firewall or any programs that have the remote possibility of preventing or blocking the system from browsing. I have also connected it direct to the cable modem via cat 6 cable to see if I can get it to browse. All the system will do when opening a browser is sit there like it is attempting to infinity open a webpage. I tried to get those free trial of that Iolo Anti Virus and personal firewall but their site keeps saying the server is too buys. Which is a common ploy to get frustrated people to just up and buy their product. So if anyone else has a solution to this issue other than complete low level reformat and reinstall please contact me or replay.

Thank you

xsile- Dec 29, 2008 02:34PM
One thing I have notices last night while trying to get the computer to browse was that from the computer that will not browse it also can not execute a ping, it just hangs after you do the command. It also hangs after you do the ctrl+C to cancel the ping command. However from the other 3 computers on the network the computer that can not browse can be pinged and it responds to the pings.
Answer
+11
moins plus
If you can ping but your not able to browse on any browser is because you have a bad win-sock for this issue what you need to do is reset the winsock catalog go to run-cmd--- type ::: netsh winsock reset catalog hit enter then reboot this should do it if no check the antivirus and the proxy settings for a different issue.

Answer
+10
moins plus
i dont normally reply to stuff like this because usually someone has found a solution. Since there hasnt really been one "fix-all" i decided to post mine.

fixing my friends laptop...ping works, automatic updating works, browser isnt working (IE and firefox), it only works in safe-mode. couple other non-browser stuff works. I know DNS is working fine because nslookup in command prompt gave me the right results.

eventualy after doing everything i saw in this thread plus many other websites, i decided to focus my attention on on aol. i went to add/remove programs and noticed aol had a parental control...didnt even know it was there! tried uninstalling it but wouldnt let me. did some googling and found this:

http://www.techimo.com/...

deleted the first 2 files (couldnt find the 3rd) and it worked after a restart. just to test things out i put the files back, restarted...couldnt brows again. this fixed my problem and i hope it helps others.

thanks

mike

PrinceCrew- Mar 17, 2009 12:44AM
Thanks Mike. That's something I've not seen before.

If Mike's info does not apply to you or doen't work for you (or maybe it does) this is what to do.

(1) If you've ever had Norton's on your computer, use the norton removal tool. You can get it from their website, put it on a thumb drive or something and run it on your computer. Norton intergrates so much into your computer that it often hangs and blocks the Internet.

(2) If you have a big honking anti-everything solution (anti-virus, adware, spyware, malware, spam, with a firewall), get rid of it! If you have McAfee, doubly get rid of it! It's the worst I've ever seen. MS Windows after sp2 has the best firewall around. don't disable it to put a weaker one on. And the companies that put this stuff out are usually good in only one or two fields. To expect protection from everything is a bit unrealistic. Which brings me to 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7; use the software from companies that specialize and the 2nd best thing is, is it's all free. The 1st best thing is that it works.

(3) Get malwarebytes. Install it and run it.

(4) Get Avast! Anti-virus. Install and run.

(5) Get Spybot Search & Destroy. Install and run.

(6) Get HighJackThis. Be carful with this one. Only disable what you are sure of.

(7) Re-enable windows firewall.

This'll work 99% of the time, and it's good to do even if you don't have connection problems.

Let me know if it doesn't work for anyone.

PrinceCrew
MyTechBench.com
james- Apr 12, 2009 11:23AM
thanks for your post, unfortunately i am unable to dowload these things onto my computer as i am unable to browse, i do not have norton, have uninstalled macafee and avg and antivira, but unable to browse on IE, and therefore am unable on my computer to download the suggested programs. I am writing this from my wifes computer which is irritatingly working fine!
Zanshiro- Jul 24, 2009 04:39AM
Just download the programs to a USB Flash Drive or something of the sort, then put them on the affected computer and try it then.
kwahamot- Mar 30, 2010 01:19PM
This fix did it for me too after trying every other option mentioned on many different forums. Darn AOL Parental Controls! ;)

Thanks here to Solution101 and to cyrano33 on techimo.com for positng this simple fix! I've pasted the original URL and the important parts below:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/networking-internet/182937-aol-parental-control-problem.html

Had the same problem, searched the web until I found someone who had spoken with an escalated AOL helpdesk person who finally knew how to do it:

Remove the following files:

* C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\spcflt.sys
* C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\spcstb.sys
* C:\Program Files\Common Files\aol\1127593350\ee\services\ver2_0_10_16\serviceManifest.xml

Reboot, and afterwards the computer will work fine.

P.S. I also didn't find the serviceManifest.xml file in the exact location mentioned so I skipped that step and it still fixed the problems connecting with browsers.
justhelping- Apr 13, 2010 05:53PM
I'm the same as you - never post, but wanted to share my fix:

Uninstalled IE. Reinstalled. (possibly unnecessary)
In the browser, went to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and Reset
Restart browser and GO THROUGH THE WELCOME PROCESS
worked...I have no idea why
Answer
+9
moins plus
there is a bug installing service pack 3 the fix is availible here
http://www.microsoft.com/...

Emmy Coffee- May 8, 2011 09:10PM
Didn't work.
Answer
+9
moins plus
in one client system xp2 r using but intrnet will not work but pinging how can solve this prablem

Answer
+9
moins plus
sounds like you still have conflicker virus.you can get a free scan at microsoft updates.the virus makes it hard to surf the web .make virus scans and updates.if i was you get your main things of the computer and reload to factory settings.and be weiry if you dont reboot .dont logg into your bank.they see what every comes on your screen

Answer
+7
moins plus
I have the exact same problem. Does anyone have a solution??? Please help

james- Jan 8, 2009 05:49AM
my internet connected and runs only30 minutes and if i restarting modem so it is run for more 30 minutes
MWD- Jul 8, 2009 04:41AM
Maybe you have to configure your modem to "keep alive" your internet connection?
kedar james - Jan 23, 2010 04:33AM
You just do change you internet exploer from version ie 6 to ie 7.
kedar james - Jan 23, 2010 04:35AM
You just do change you internet explorer from version ie 6 to ie 7. install ie 7 from cd or download it.
aa- Apr 3, 2010 02:48PM
i m hving same problem, after removing norton using norton removal tool also doesnt helped me, still hving the problm with browser, which is not opening any internet site, though i hv internet connection
Answer
+7
moins plus
I have the problem, and i have xp so I don't think it's a vista issue

AGR- Jan 9, 2009 12:35AM
Not quite it. :S I'm having the same problem but only at school. The issue is i'm running Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) so it's not a microsoft thing. ;)

andres@ubuntu:~$ Sudo Be-Happy

;D
roslina- Feb 23, 2009 09:43AM
hi!
hey i am facing the same problem with ie6 and i am also using ubuntu. i have not been able to sort the problem.
the basic problem is if i start ie6 then i can't browse as well as the system hangs. this does not occur if i browse using mozilla. don't know what to do.
bugsy_alex- Jul 5, 2009 11:56AM
I am running Vista, and ESET
I have had the same problem and after trying some things that were suggested on this site i uninstalled the antivirus, used the removal utility from their web site and installed Bit defender.
It now work's perfectly.
Hope this works for you
Answer
+6
moins plus
Clearly he stated service pack two. Please read posts before replying to them. I've the same issue and for the last six months have not yet found a working solution.

goblo- Nov 3, 2009 01:09PM
do you no a some website i can use to get passed those blocked websites
Answer
+6
moins plus
Thanks for all the ideas. I had this computer linked to my router by cable and had local connection, but no Internet connection. I got mine working after only 5 hours or so. I erased all McAfee, deleted Linksys files, used just the Windows XP firewall, then reloaded the Linksys wireless. Who knows what of all that worked, but it's working. I noticed the IP address was different from the router and all other linked computers in the third octet (1 instead of 0), so maybe using the wireless corrected the address problem.

Answer
+6
moins plus
I have the same issue here, Internet is connected but cannot browse. Diagnostic about connection issue says a firewall setting. I have Windows Firewall and McAfee Antivirus. Everyone showed that unistalling their antivirus worked, so i did that and uninstalled McAfee but I still cannot connect. I've run out of ideas...

Answer
+5
moins plus
I am having the same problem - internet is connected but I can't browse, also Skype is not working. I had McAfee but it is not working anymore, so, I removed it and tried to scan with NOD 32 but no success. I think it should be some virus problem because my McAfee crashed or maybe - the problem occured because of McAfee crash?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
This document entitled « Internet Connected but can't Browse » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.