Ask a question Report

Computer will not load past welcome screen [Solved/Closed]

wldy 4Posts Monday August 4, 2008Registration date August 5, 2008Last seen - Latest answer on Jan 23, 2014 06:30PM
Hello,
My computer, after not being used for a few months logged into windows and the internet just fine, once....then it stopped going to web pages. So I restarted the computer. Then XP would load to the welcome screen, and the next screen it shows is the background (just before you would choose which ID to login under) it never loads past that point. When I tried to reboot and go to safe mode the keyboard would let me get it to that screen then the keys would stop working. TO fix that I had to take out that little battery inside the computer. Then I tried to log into safe mode, I got past the choose ID screen, then it stopped loading again.
I cannot reformat the harddrive as I do not have the windows XP disk, I have the key, just not the disk.
I did find programs on the computer before I rebooted the first time, and I tried to go into Add/Remove programs to remove them, I cuold not get into that either, but I did find the weird stuff in the program files and deleted a few things that I knew what they were and that were not supposed to be on this computer (ie world of warcraft)
I have tried every single thing I can think of and I cannot get this problem fixed, any suggestions besides blowing it up, or brining it to a shop? I already have to replace one computer that will not turn on anymore....
Read more 
Answer
+19
moins plus
Hello,

It often happens that some computers that has been dormand has these problems since windows has not been updating .

Best is to re-install Windows and update your system.

Eve- Nov 8, 2009 06:44PM
Im only 16 and on my 5th laptop already over the past 6 years. The same thing happens every time and im having the same problem right now, my internet stopped working along with my mums and my brothers (all using wireless), they managed to reconnect however i didnt. I know its stupid but i never shut my laptop down, i always hibernate it, which is what i did after many attempts to reconnect. I then opened the screen as it wouldnt hibernate and i saw it was on a black screen saying 'windows detected a problem and shut down' in order to protect my computes or something. So i chose 'start windows normally' and it goes to the loading screen with green bar that moves across, then it went back to the 'windows has detec...' screen. So i chose repair mode and it loaded then changed to a blue screen mentioning F8 and Safemode. I tried safemode and that wont work either. Ive been working with computers since i was 9 and my fathers a computer network engineer yet i cannot fix the problem, i would tell my dad but he will be very angry and ive asked about removing the HD and retrieving files but he said it was complicated and i dont mind reformating it, he has the cd and key so its no problem but is there no other way i can save my files? (sorry about the length and the layout, im using my phone)
shwclady- Feb 22, 2010 09:29AM
I am having the exact same problem. Let me know how you were able to fix it. I do not have my original disc, so I might be in more trouble.
annie wag 2Posts Sunday March 7, 2010Registration date March 7, 2010Last seen - Mar 7, 2010 03:05AM
how do i reinstall windows xp if my laptop does not have a cd drive and can't get past the welcome. it just freezes and stops working. i have xp on a flash drive but can't use as wont come up. tried the press zero and start. did the recovery thing, then create but keeps saying error with numbers and letters. please help
tre- Sep 17, 2013 10:49AM
my computer is doing the same thing after I re installed windows
nanie- Jan 23, 2014 06:30PM
my computer wont let me sign up for anything and they didn't tell me anything about it
Answer
+10
moins plus
TO EVERY +ONE WHO IS ON THIS AND READING THIS.... IF YOU ARE ON THIS THING LOOKING FOR HELP ON HOW TO FIX YOUR COMPUTER BECAUSE "IT WONT START" OR WHAT NOT....

NEVER EVER TAKE ANYONE's ADVICE TO TRY UMBUTU HUUTOOO BOOTOO

What ever LINUX Boot CD... THEY ARE NOTHING BUT TROUBLE! TRUST ME! You will have more problems trying to use linux and posibly more damage to your system if you dont know what you're doing...

If you cant figure WINDOWS out. DON'T BOTHER WITH LINUX! Yeah its FREE!!! but its a Free trip to the repare shop or bes buy to buy a new computer lol.

---------------------------

Posting problems with "My computer wont Boot" and wanting a FIX within a few steps is like calling the doctor and telling him you have this pain in your stomach... "how do you fix it"? It can be a virus, your appendix, something you ate.. a tumor.. whatever...

-->
If it wont boot into windows you cant even run Scans for viruses..etc..
The best way to test your HARDWARE and figure this out... Is to get an old Hard drive.. buy it used.. pull it out of someone's garaged PC (if you cant afford to buy a new one) ..
FYI: A 500GB cost as low as 60 bucks.. )

Take out the old nice hard drive with all you nice precious things in it,.. Disconnect it put it in a SAFE STATIC FREE PLACE..

Put the spare TEST hard drive in your PC...
* turn on,
* look for smoke...
Does it start good?,
Then:
Use your Windows disc to repartition and Format it... FRESH INSTALL OF WINDOWS...

If things work then you know your hardware is good.

Use the spare to get your files out and into a safe place like an external hard drive..
Once you got your things backed up and safe..

you can install an arsenal of highly rated Anti-virus/Anti-Spyware Tools from http://www.download.com on your SPARE (WHO NEEDS ACTIVATION? you got days...).. Try CounterSpy and Nod32, Ashampoo, KAsperskey (only on your spare, Kas.. will ruin some systems.. e.g. your ability to Defrag and such... but its good at detection)

So once you got this power house of Scanners.. use each Program after the other to scan your ORIGINAL Hard Drive (by hooking it up as a SLAVE on your System).. You can also check to see if it has any bad sectors.. and if it does send it to http://www.epicdatarecovery.com for some serious help.

Let me know if it helped..

-Nick

Answer
+5
moins plus
i have xp disk and code, you are not going to sort your problem with out xp disk,
i can see if i can compress and send,
my email is Email Id removed for security
email me and lets see wot we can do to help you

Answer
+4
moins plus
When i click LOG ON button it Shows (windows Loding Your Personal Settings) it''ll Suddenly Show The Message (windows log off.

ceb- Apr 23, 2009 03:23PM
mine has been doing the same thing! if u figured out how to fix it email me at Email Id removed for security
plz!
avadhesh- Mar 25, 2010 08:41AM
pl give me solution
Darkside- Mar 30, 2010 10:05AM
You need to do a "repair install" of Windows. Do not go into the Repair Utility!!! Something totally different.
t- Apr 29, 2011 06:45AM
When you turn the PC on , keep pressing F8 , Then once it goes into safe mode click on restore to last known working point , it will be fine
no- May 11, 2011 02:17PM
Best response is back working with f8.
thank you.
Answer
+3
moins plus
i only read the first help comment ignore it dont reinstall windows lmfao! MANY things u can do befor reinstalling windows
1) start your comp in safemode ..constantly press f8 i think it is to get the menu then click safe mode
2) open bios many things in there also, like load optimized defaults etc..
3) wierd but it happend to me and this worked once, turn of your pc by the mains in cluding monitor speakers for good luck then unplug everything from the back of your pc and then wait 3mins then plug everything back in and turn it all back on after tryin step1/2
4) im a lil stoned rite now i cant remember all the ways of solving this issue but those 3tips have worked wonders for me in the past mate, gl and i aint knocking any other comments i read the 1st one thats all i can be botherd readin atm he could be correct but try mine m8.

Answer
+2
moins plus
PDUB,

Thanks for the thorough response. I didn't explain myself clearly, I apologize for that. As a side note, I have a fair amount of experience and have reinstalled Windows on dozens of machines, but I am not an expert or even a veteran by any means. I'm the friend "who knows computers."

The machine's symptoms were boot to welcome screen (where user selects profile). Upon selecting the profile (there was only one) the machine would flash the desktop (no icons) and then return to the Welcome screen saying "Saving settings . . ." and then sit there as if I had not clicked on anything. I could shut down, but never properly attain the desktop. Before this, the user said they had accidentally clicked on something while browsing and a bunch of pop-ups started showing up.

I figured it was a virus of some sort and my first order of business was to boot to Safe mode. Upon doing this, the safe mode boot (after selecting Safe Mode and not Safe Mode with prompt or network) was to boot to welcome screen and now show two profiles - Admin and the User. I've tried both profiles and both act as mentioned above - a quick flash of the desktop screen sans icons and then back to the welcome screen.

I can't say that I've seen this before, so I figured the virus messed up the HD royally. I then removed the boot HD, he has two in the machine, a second larger HD for maintaining his work, and put the boot HD into a USB HD kit to read it from another machine (also the User said there may be some data on the machine that he needed). So after checking the drive, it came up fine as an external USB drive, I put it back in and did a Win XP install (repair), this went fine (as far as I could tell), but upon final booting of the machine, it had the same behavior as mentioned above. Welcome Screen only.

So I said, bugger that. I bought and put in a new drive. I had to change BIOS to boot from CD. This worked fine an Win XP (full version) started to install. It wanted to format the new drive. Good. I chose NTFS and after formatting it copied over the Win XP installation files. After copying over the files, I get a 15 second (red bar) countdown that says it will reboot automatically. As I remember, this is normal. Upon reboot it starts using the files it copied over to HD.

Well, when it did reboot, the BIOS has the "Boot from CD: . . . ." message, which usually means press any key if you want to boot from CD. I didn't press anything but the system boots from the CD as if the driver were new. It wants to start the XP installation from the VERY beginning. So I went into BIOS and changed boot order again to HD first. This didn't change the outcome. So then I changed BIOS again to say HD only, and it still boots from CD.

I am starting to wonder if the Mobo IDE controller has gone bad. I think the mobo is about 4 years old. The user does not have the documentation for it.

What I currently still need to try:
Checking the original boot HD in another machine with a virus checker. (Another thing I noticed about the drive was in the Documents and Settings directory -where profiles are stored - the user had about 10 different profiles that looked like automatic bastardizations of his original name. Not sure how else to explain it. As if Win XP was trying to boot but couldn't so made a new profile similar to old one).

Removing battery from mobo - to reset BIOS.

The mobo has a second IDE controller slot (where his two DVD drives are attached). I thought I might detach these, and hook up original drive only to see if it can boot from that controller.

And to answer you question, I couldn't get into Safe mode, so that is what prompted all this other action. I may have a situation where a virus and a hardware failure are occurring at the same time.

Thanks again for reading and for helping!

Weed- Apr 15, 2009 08:23AM
More importantly, what Windows and most operating systems have taught me, is never to keep any data that I want on the boot drive.

All my computers and all computers that I build for people I highly recommend having two drives. One for the OS and one for everything else.

Too often Windows craps out and you have to reformat the drive or reinstall the OS. And NEVER, NEVER save anything in the My Documents folder. That is just asking for trouble.

Thanks again for the help.
Sunny- Feb 15, 2010 05:00PM
I am having the same problem exact same, on a laptop. I am a little tech savy but no enough to understand what HD is can you tell me if you ever fixed this? I need some data on this comp, otherwise I would say erase away. Please help I am desperate.
Darkside- Mar 30, 2010 10:07AM
You need to do a "repair install" of Windows. Do not go into the Repair Utility!!! Something totally different. Take out the setup disc after the files are transferred.
Rcavalier86- Apr 16, 2010 03:39PM
The problem was when you reinstalled it and windows says it will reboot, you have to take the disk out of drive, otherwise it will just reinstall.
VeeGirly- Jul 7, 2010 07:04PM
i neeed help please okay idk wat happened that i turned my laptop off to use the next day & then i normally turn it on and reach the choose an id user & i have my user & my sisturs user & i click on mine & it say failed login & ive been trying for 3 - 5 days already but my sisturs user work . I Need Help PLEASEEEEEEE HELP ASAAP Thank Youu :)
Answer
+2
moins plus
If your keyboard is not working when trying to boot in safe mode all you need to do is enable the USB Emulation option in Bios.... F2 for Bios

pat- Apr 24, 2009 11:00PM
Dave, your suggestion solved the problem for me. I also had a problem selecting to safe mode from the boot menu since my keyboard did not work and I was running into the BSOD (blue screen of death) after installing bootskin and login studio from stardock..
mike338- May 2, 2009 01:22PM
When i click LOG ON button it Shows (windows Loding Your Personal Settings) it''ll Suddenly Show The Message (windows log off. plz i dont want to pay 150$ aging to get it fixed is there a easyer way if there is messeg me at Email Id removed for security
EJ- Nov 15, 2009 10:39PM
Dave, I'm having the same problem but when I make it into BIOS and find the option you suggested to change, it is "blued out" so to speak. I am unable to change that setting. Any advice?
iza2098- Jun 12, 2010 11:30AM
i dont know if this will help but my computer was doing the same thing but safe mode work i got it to work by going to safe mode that sleeping and turning it back on then it worked
Answer
+2
moins plus
I made my own coustimized computer and i dont have a key or a disk help me!

s- Dec 19, 2009 08:38AM
go to bittorrent and get it from there good luck ! :)
Answer
+2
moins plus
Well it seems there is a lot of this happening but not a lot of solutions.

I have had this same problem happen on 4 different computers within the last 24 hours!

All are running XP Pro, all machines are less than 12 months old (one is only 2 weeks old!)

Yesterday i had a call from a family member saying the pc (Running XP Pro) wont go past the user log in screen. It shows the desktop but with no icons, then goes to "Welcome" screen and then shows the user accounts. (Which is unusual as the pc does not usually require login). Once you click on the user account it quickly shows "loggin on" and the immediately switches to "logging off".

I have tried a repair install of XP but it did not fix the problem.

This morning my own pc has done exactly the same thing, and i then received calls from 2 other family members reporting the same fault on their pc's.

Thats 4 pc's with the same fault within 24 hours!

Surely this has to be virus related?

Answer
+2
moins plus
hmmm turns out it's a bad virus. I was unable to fix it so i had to hit alt+F10 during bootup so i could reset my computer. Everyone remember this. Next time you are going to buy the disks for your computer because you lost them, just press alt+F10 and you can restore everything to factory settings!

Answer
+1
moins plus
Have you tried booting into safe mode?

On most computers you can get there by tapping the F8 key as soon as your system begins starting up.

I was RIDDLED with Spyware (Home Anti-virus 2010 being the main culprit) and eventually got my computer in working state again by doing the following:

1. Boot into 'Safe Mode with Networking'
2. Install Malware Bytes - http://www.cnet.com/1770-5_1-0.html?query=malware+bytes&tag=srch
3. If Malware bytes won't open, rename the .exe file for Malware bytes to something else
4. Launch Malware bytes, do an update and run a full system scan
5. Update your virus definitions for your virus program and run a full system virus scan also
6. Install a pc registry fix program ei: pc pitstop or registry easy (you may have to research a little to make sure you find one you can use for free somehow that is still reputable and safe. I personally torrented registry easy.)
7. Run Combo fix. You can find info and download link here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix
8. Make sure no other virus programs are running and run a Combofix scan
9. Restart your system

Hope that helps!

Answer
+1
moins plus
Just a thought, all of you that cant boot from CD to format your computers because you cant press 'any key' i had the same problem but turned out it was because i was using a wireless keyboard, once i used a normal wired keyboard the problem was resolved.

Answer
+1
moins plus
I am having the same issue, with a DELL optiplex gx620. The computer can boot up to the log-in screen and then when I hit "ctrl alt del" to log in, the keyboard does not respond. I try num lock and other keys and get nothing. Windows was updated two days ago. The maching is never really dormant - except on weekends.

Has anyone found a fix for this that doesn't require re-installing windows?

stevej- Jun 25, 2011 08:20AM
that a virus. mine was called securiy essanials not to be confused with the ms program. this one is serious and nothing to mess with
Answer
+0
moins plus
I have the same problem, but I have the disk and correct activation code. I am stuck bad......any suggestions??

PDUB- Dec 5, 2008 11:42AM
just got the same problem. how did you get it fixed? any help would be greatly appreciated.
where to get xp disc- Dec 24, 2008 09:00AM
Take your key # to a computer repair store and they will usually burn you an xp disc.
nez- Apr 16, 2010 04:01PM
what key? i dnt have a key or a xp disc. my pc (xp) has virus in it, how will i be able to fix it? someone plz help me. a blank screen appears but i cnt see the windows page.
Answer
+0
moins plus
my mom is having a similar problem with her computer. she just recently got it from my grandmother and its an older comp. its worked slow but decently for years now. She got it and downloaded internet explorer 8 onto it and once she rebooted it, it wont go past the start-up screen. she has a disc to reformat it and the key but the computer wont turn the disc at all. and she cant get it to do anything. anyone know what she could do? would be awesome if we could get the comp to work seeing as she doesnt have the money to get a new one.

Answer
+0
moins plus
I have seen this problem and it sounds like some kind of virus ,boot or Bios . I have only seen it in PC's with older MB's and not in one with dual bios chips. I am working on another PC with the welcome screen problem now ,so I will let you guys know what I find.

Pdub- Mar 7, 2009 12:28PM
Right on the money. I took my HD out and brought it over to a friends house and did a full scan. Took out a bunch of viruses and adware. was then able to get into HD to remedy the situation. Seems like the easiest fix is to detach hdd from existing unit and scan. thanks for everyone's help.
Weed- Mar 16, 2009 02:27PM
pdub - did scanning and removing viruses from your HD allow you to boot the original PC?

I have same issue. Could not do a repair on the HD. Need the data on it.

Bought a new HD. Tried to install XP on it, but the system keeps booting to the XP Media CD and will not install XP - even after I go into BIOS and say boot from HD only.

Makes me think it is BIOS problem and not a HD/software/virus problem. But I have never seen this before.

Any help is appreciated.
PDUB- Mar 16, 2009 03:28PM
I wasn't comfy with existing version so I actually did new install of OS on a different HD and it worked. I have 2 hd's on system so had to switch master/slave config and it seemed to work. You want to boot from CD and not HD because that's where the problem exists if trying to reinstall OS. Boot order CD-rom drive and take HD boot off. May need a touch more info on your system to figure out what may be the issue.

Suggestions that I have gotten that may be of help from this thread.
*Take MB battery out to clear Bios
*Take HD off system and see if it is recognized by other workstation away from your box, If yes then you know its not the HD, clean it and try to go into it to get data (ultimate solution for me) or copy to ext HD if you want....if No then you found your issue.
*You mentioned trying to install OS on new HD and it wouldn't work (dumb question, is it full version or upgrade that you have (sry but have to ask since i don't know your level of expertise)
*Can you get into safemode? When I had the issue, I couldn't even go into safemode which I believe was a direct result of a virus shutting down my usb ports...after the scan the usb ports still didn't work but my ps2 input still worked for my keyboard. I was then able to put fresh OS on HD and blah blah blah.
*Another weird thing was that my comp would shut down 3 minutes in after being cleaned....found that temp settings were adjusted to auto shut down would initiate because temp was being exceeded. Cranked up fans and it was all good.
Was a royal pain in the butt to get it fixed but alas like my wifes pregnancy the destination was definitely more enjoyable than the journey.

Hope this helps.

Biggest thing is to isolate as much as possible to find out where the issue may be...Hopefully you can get it fixed and be able to fix on the cheap and take HD back if not needed
Jay- Apr 15, 2009 02:56PM
Hey weed,
Have you tried hitting ctl, alt, del and loading the task manager and starting a new explorer task? You might have to do it twice but it should give you the desktop back, long enough to save your data.
Answer
+0
moins plus
i have a similar problem on my ACER travelmate 5510. I go through the startup process as usual untill it comes to the screen where it should say: Press ctr+alt+del to begin. Instead of this i only have the blue startup background. I cant figure out what to do. I have tried safe mode and everything else like that and it wont work. Anyone got any advice?

Answer
+0
moins plus
i have a copy of windows xp on a disk ... i can copy it and email you a CD image if you want, then use a different computer to burn it into a disk... just email me what service pack you have and i will find the appropriate CD out of my box of heavenly Recovery CD,s i have this exact same problem... but lucky for me im a dual booter, i have 2 copies of windows XP i use one for backup and repair... (the one im using right now) im gunna do a diagnosis and see what the REAL issue is... i could remover my VGA card(graphics card) and use my onboard instead to test you VGA card theory... ATI is a bit faulty... my email is Email Id removed for security

xslice- Jan 26, 2010 09:53PM
My computer would not boot in normal mode. It was a real bad situation. Started in safe mode and unistalled Norton and rebooted. Everything was fine!!!! This was a real headached but solved easily. FYI
Answer
+0
moins plus
Hi, I need help. I have recently been deleting programs I am no longer using, compressing old files, and performing the disk Cleanup. I searched on the internet that the Disk Cleanup SAFELY deletes my files in the computer. However, I accidentally deleted Windows files, which keeps the computer working. it wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't deleted the Recycling Bin, also. (ie, stuff emptied are still there...this is "permanent" deletion). I restarted the computer, and it loads past the Welcome Screen after an hour. At this time it shows me a screen filled with letters saying what files could not be found/accessed. I dont know how to get these files (the ones I deleted accidentally that keep the computer working properly) back. Does anyone know how I can do this for free? The Keyboard doesnt work, either. I think its a lost cause...

Answer
+0
moins plus
My solutioon was to get to the BIOS and change the HD to be ATA. The virus changed the BIOS

1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « Computer will not load past welcome screen » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.