Ask a question Report

Change Sony Walkman from USB to MTP mode [Solved]

gillesdecondappa 1Posts Tuesday October 6, 2009Registration date October 7, 2009Last seen - Latest answer on May 9, 2014 03:01AM
Hello,
I recently purchased a Sony Walkman to use with my Napster subscription. Unfortunately the device was not syncing with Windows Media Player. To solve this I used the following fix from this forum:
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-97417-sony-mp3-walkman-is-not-getting-detected
This fix changed my Sony Walkman to a USB devce. This solved the problem with WMP (I could now sync and transfer diles via drag and drop).
However, now tracks that I have donloaded with my Napster to Go subscription do not work as (I think) the device is showing up as a USB device rather than an MTP device. I tried performing the opposte of the steps above but Vista keeps on opening it up as a USB device.
In the properties for the portable device, the drivers are listed as:
WpdFs.dll
WUDFRd.sys
The driver software is shown as:
Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver.
If anyone could offer any help that would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Gilles
Read more 
Answer
+16
moins plus
I did the same thing and have finally found how to change it back:

In device manager look under 'Universal Seral Bus controllers', you should have one listed with the name of your walkman. Right click it and uninstall. Re-plug in your walkman and it should be back to normal.
tiff- May 1, 2011 05:16PM
Not working
Ignotus- Jan 31, 2012 09:19AM
I have been scouring the Internet for hours trying to figure out how to force my junk Walkman (hate this thing, it was a freebie) back into MTP mode after I had forced it into MSC mode. I prefer MSC/UMS mode, but learned that I cannot create pla playlists outside of MTP mode and the POS won't work with m3u playlists. Plugging it into my laptop to manipulate playlists was getting old, so I searched and searched for a way to get it back into MTP mode on my desktop PC. I FINALLY found your solution and it WORKED! Thank you immensely.
Ignotus- Jan 31, 2012 09:22AM
Oh, one modification, on my system, Win7 x64 Ultimate, under USB Controllers, it didn't have the name of the Walkman, but it showed one of them with the Walkman's icon. That's the one that I uninstalled and it worked fine after I replugged it.
phil52- Jul 30, 2012 12:57AM
Thank You it worked
XiND- Mar 7, 2013 02:59AM
work some times!!
Add comment
Answer
+2
moins plus
Hi Nicky,

That worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!

Gilles
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
I had mtp issues as well and followed the same advice to switch to usb mode, i wanted to switch back and see if i could get mtp mode working but now my device is recognized as a disk drive no matter what i do.
Add comment
This document entitled « Change Sony Walkman from USB to MTP mode » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.