Can't access internet - wireless working

Solved/Closed
adamseve Posts 4 Registration date Saturday July 26, 2008 Status Member Last seen July 27, 2008 - Updated on Aug 14, 2017 at 04:39 AM
 Nasi - Mar 7, 2018 at 12:34 AM
Hello,

We had a storm earlier this week and every since then I have not been able to get on the Internet. Thought it was the router, but we reset in and my wife's laptop is working fine now, but I still can't get on the internet.

The computer shows that my wireless connection is excellent, but I canâ??t connect to the Internet. I continue to get the following error: â??Cannot find server or DNS Errorâ??.

I can't even connect by using my Ethernet cable. I have no idea how to fix this or even where to start. Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated. I ran the following just in case report for your review in the hopes that it will shed some light on whatâ??s going on with my computer:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Darryl>nbtstat-n
'nbtstat-n' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Darryl>nbtstat -n

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [169.254.136.227] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
OWNER-C8XY9R65K<00> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
OWNER-C8XY9R65K<20> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

Wireless Network Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.2] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
OWNER-C8XY9R65K<00> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
OWNER-C8XY9R65K<20> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

C:\Documents and Settings\Darryl>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : owner-c8xy9r65k
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-36-90-8E-BD
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.136.227
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.217.74.35

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Ada
pter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-E3-86-5C-8B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.217.74.35
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:14:08 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:14:08 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Darryl>

Thank you very much for your help.
Related:

20 responses

batiste_23703
Dec 9, 2009 at 11:35 AM
BEST ANSWER EVER....

I tried EVERYTHING. Tried the Norton Remover thing. Tried the winsock or winsok (whatever its called), used malwarebytes (helped somewhat), even ran an disk error check twice. HOWEVERRRR, all I had to do was go to Internet Options/connections/LAN settings/ AND UNCLICK THE PROXY SERVER CHECK BOX! I never even checked that box. The whole problem didn't start until I got that Antivirus Pro 2010 virus on my computer. After I got that off the internet stopped working. Its taken me 4 days but now the internet is working fine. If none of those other things are working, TRY THIS.
Same thing happened to me yesterday! Did the Antivirus Pro 2010 basically stop sending pop-ups after a day or so and then let your virus scanner do it's job? That's what happened to me. I left the computer on out of sure frustration and then the next day my son said hey it's working and the scanner cleaned the virus. Only thing tht wasn't working was my internet and then after trying every other suggestion under the sun I did as bastiste did. Weird! I had this on 2 computers at the same time so I am very happy! This solution worked on both computers.
Batiste is a genius!!! I've been &^%$ing around with this %$#^&*() AntiVirus malware problem for about 8 hours. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removed all (I think) evidence of this hateful thing EXCEPT the proxy server click. Thank you!!
Just wanted to thank you for posting this. My laptop got that same virus and your posting saved me hours of frustration.
That was the same thing wrong with my internet connection and those steps worked!! That was very helpful steps! Thank u very much batiste!
Thanks a lot man for loosing just 5 minutes to solve my problem!!!!!! Wow! Thanks!
I also have this problem, but it's already solved.This is what I do.
  • 1. Go to Control Panel > Network Connections
  • 2. Right click on the Wireless Network Connection > Properties
  • 3. At the General tab, scroll down and double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
  • 4. At the General tab, thick on Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically
  • 5. Now, open Internet Explorer (mozilla firefox is the best) and you can surf the internet now!
That worked! I just clicked what you said and it found the webpage address!! Five hours later : )
omg you are awesome ive been trying to fix the internet on my laptop for atleast 2 hours now and thats all I had to do Thank you so much!!
HollywoodMama
Mar 20, 2010 at 09:18 PM
This worked and I had been trying for 2 weeks!! Thanks
You Rock man thanks that worked like a charm. I never even thought to check that. I thought as a default it was set to automatic? Wow Thanks again man!!!!
awesome thank you very much :)
Hi all,

I have the same problem,
but just get lucky to solve this problem in a very very simple way.

1 go to your wireless icon on task bar
2 [right click] then click on [Property]
3 click on [configuration] choose [Driver] tab
4 then [uninstall]
5 [turn off] or [Log off]
6 [Log on] or [Turn on]
7 your computer should auto-detect and install your wireless hardware
if not it will ask for driver
8 if so just follow the add new hardware procedure

p.s. in my case, after my computer turn on everything went fine. Good luck
I can't see the wireless icon on the taskbar
I have spent months trying to figure this out! My daughter's laptop hasn't been able to access the internet pretty much since we bought it. I've tried countless solutions from other postings, and yours is the only one that worked!! Thank you soooo much!!!! (o:
thank you so very much...it worked for me!....took me a week to fix it and u did it! thanks a million. my laptop can connect now to the internet.
thank a lot … your guide very clear and useful.
ehh, I've had this problem since, about a month ago? I was struck by Internet Security 2010. I managed to remove the virus, by using a program called Malwarebytes' Antivirus, and it worked great. Nothing was damage. Everything was working fine, except for my Internet (Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox). Every time I try to access the Internet it'd say that I was unable to connect. I've tried all of the suggestions above and they don't seem to work. I've also tried System Restore after I removed the virus, and selected a restoration point of a day before the virus came through. Didn't work too well. Although I couldn't connect to the internet on that certain computer, my connection would always be excellent. I was able to use the same source on multiple computers. I'm not sure what else may work. I don't think reformatting is an option for me, there's just too much to lose. Any other advice?

email me anything responses at Email Id removed for security
or just respond.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
You don't have a Default Gateway address for your LAN adapter - you need a gateway address to get internet access.
You also have an Automatic Private IP Address (APIPA) evidenced by the IP address 169.254.0.0 .
The subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 is also what would be expected when you are assigned a class B IP address such as an APIPA address. You receive an APIPA address when a DHCP server is not available for whatever reason.
You need to configure an address for the Default Gateway for your computer to communicate with your router or modem so that it can request an IP address from a DHCP server - the IP address will be what is used on the internet - your public IP address so that your own personal IP address of your home PC will not be exposed to any internet nasties. You could use Microsoft Help and Support link (on your start menu) and perform a search for the Network Troubleshooter if you have a PC. Otherwise it's a good idea to firstly check for possible physical faults / problems first.

1. Check all your physical connections and equipment (modem).
TURN OFF THE POWER to you computer, modem and anything else that is connected to your computer. Then......Check all cables and connections are secure, in good condition and that they are plugged into the correct ports. Check that your modem is connected properly to the phone jack. Check that all equipment connected in the correct order.

2. Turn the power on. Power the modem on.
Are the modems lights on - Power, Status, Link/Act and Ethernet? Is the Link/Act light on and constant?
Is the link light on you computer lit?

If this is all good then check IPCONFIG /ALL again. If there are still problems phone your ISP and ask them to help with your modem. Tell them about the 169.254.0.0 address, subnet mask information and that you haven't got a Default Gateway they should be able to help you troubleshoot this.

Hopefully this helps, although i'm sure you've most likely got this sorted now. Good Luck:-D
Thank you so much! This was a huge help and saved me from pulling my hair out. I could not understand why I could not connect to the Internet even though my computer was directly connected to the modem. Thank you!!!!
Oh, forgot to mention that the host computer where the modem/router are hooked up works fine
i just had the same problem last night (11-21-2009). I went to a friends house and used his internet connection it worked normal. I went back home the same day and I was connected to the wireless router but cant go on the web. after 2hrs of getting really really angry I just said screw it. i turned off the laptop by holding the power button. than I went to sleep. this morning (11-22-2009) I turned on the laptop and I ran it as safe mode. it loaded all the drivers and everything that is primary need. after the laptop finished booting up I then shut down the computer normal (start\shut down).. and as you can see my internet is now working, so if u still have a problem u can try what I did and maybe it will work for you. HOPE IT DOES XD
lol wow I unclicked me proxy after hours of madness thank u so much :)
now me net works
You need to change the encryption your using to WEP! Your router will not function correctly with the encryption you're presently using! Common problem!
To get the internet to work while switching to XP from Vista on a newer Toshiba laptop, download Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter. The Gigabyte Client Utility with Atheros works! Spent countless hours figuring it out... Yes, I am relentless and have no life. Good luck if this is your problem! :)
I read your answer, which was to download Atheros. Can I buy a disc or something? As I am unable to connect to anywhere. Thanks for any help you can give me, I am computer retarded, short on patience and just a little on the grumpy side.

Thanks.
My laptop usually has the internet cable pluged in but I had to take the laptop out of the room because we had guests. I do have wireless internet but I could not get on the internet last night even though my computer told me the wireless signal was excellect. My son is visiting and he was able to get on the internet and use his email on his laptop. I would assume we would be both using my router. I called my internet provider and they took over the computer and fixed it some how. This morning when I went to use the computer it worked for a while and then stoped. I had to plug the internet cable back in. What could the problem be? Can anyone help me, I know nothing about computers except how to turn them off and on and check email and surf the web.
I have had the same problem with an Acer laptop running xp. It will connect if you set the ip address and gateway address in the advanced network configuration section for the tcp/ip. Like your setup a number of other computers easily obtain ip addresses from the router with the same settings as the machine that fails.

The ip address you list seems to be the default winxp uses if it can't negotiate an ip address with the router. I haven't solved the problem, but suspect a corruption of the zero configuration utility or dhcp server or its registry entries.

The quick fix of manually setting an ip address etc works fine at home, but the problem remains if you want to use the wifi available at other locations. This seems to be evidence against a hardware problem.

Can anyone help with how to fix this problem without a full re-install?
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Apr 30, 2009 at 04:25 AM
ic its quite sometime since u posted ur prob
just wanted to know
if have u solved ur prob, or do u need help
try netsh winsock reset catalog followed by a reboot, this has always worked for me
try it on your ipod then it will work straight away. Trust me it has been happening all week. If you dont have an ipod use your phone. It works very efficiently.
I say try to hook up the wired connection, then when that is done connect to the wireless connection, when that is done you should be connected to 3networks or maybe 2...then when your able to connect to the internet, remove the ethernet cord from your computer and it should work...im almost 100% perfect it will
check with the company that provides u with internet and if u have a COMPUTER check if internet is working there if it is not I know what to do if it is not working there then u probably didn't pay ur bill or the company is messed and if it is email me at sehaj1@hotmail.com
simn2703 Posts 12 Registration date Wednesday April 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 15, 2010 3
Apr 15, 2010 at 04:09 AM
You don't have a Default Gateway address for your LAN adapter - you need a gateway address to get internet access.
You also have an Automatic Private IP Address (APIPA) evidenced by the IP address 169.254.0.0 .
The subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 is also what would be expected when you are assigned a class B IP address such as an APIPA address. You receive an APIPA address when a DHCP server is not available for whatever reason.
You need to configure an address for the Default Gateway for your computer to communicate with your router or modem so that it can request an IP address from a DHCP server - the IP address will be what is used on the internet - your public IP address so that your own personal IP address of your home PC will not be exposed to any internet nasties. You could use Microsoft Help and Support link (on your start menu) and perform a search for the Network Troubleshooter if you have a PC. Otherwise it's a good idea to firstly check for possible physical faults / problems first.

1. Check all your physical connections and equipment (modem).
TURN OFF THE POWER to you computer, modem and anything else that is connected to your computer. Then......Check all cables and connections are secure, in good condition and that they are plugged into the correct ports. Check that your modem is connected properly to the phone jack. Check that all equipment connected in the correct order.

2. Turn the power on. Power the modem on.
Are the modems lights on - Power, Status, Link/Act and Ethernet? Is the Link/Act light on and constant?
Is the link light on you computer lit?

If this is all good then check IPCONFIG /ALL again. If there are still problems phone your ISP and ask them to help with your modem. Tell them about the 169.254.0.0 address, subnet mask information and that you haven't got a Default Gateway they should be able to help you troubleshoot this.

Hopefully this helps, although i'm sure you've most likely got this sorted now. Good Luck:-D
my dsi internet was working but not on my router and even same ssid
I thought I was crazy because my wireless also was working wonderful, but my wired kept saying unidentified network, no internet access. I couldn' t understand how my wireless was working but not my wired (ethernet). I did a google search to try and find some help because my internet service provider (Cox Communications) said it was not on their end, had to be my router. So I changed routers and still nothing. Sorry I can't help you because I am also looking for the same help you are, and oddly enough I also had this problem right after the recent storm we had in Louisiana at the beginning of June. Good luck to yourself and me as well.
ok I have a new w series mini notebook from sony and cant get the internet to work it says to put this plug thing from the modem of my desktop into the place where its suppossed to fit and I dont know how and its hard because I dont want to lose my internet connection on my desktop to if I turn it off
Taking action in way by calling up a service line would give you the best answer. I have tried messaging the authorities but I never got an answer even for a month! FYI. I find internet connection slower at night than in the day cause that is when the officers need it...